Hot Rod continuation of rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod continuation of rant

So last time, we discussed how Hot Rod should mind their own business and spend quality time at Dulcich's house documenting all the crap that he has sitting around that he will never use. I figured that after that they could spend the next 10 years doing a monthly "what is Dave F. letting rot this week"

This time, I propose we change a term.

No longer do we "rescue" a car (unless, of course, it's from someone whose new investment opportunity is his crack addiction).

We continue the preservation.

That's the term

Most of us pull crap from out of fields, behind barns, or even from a forgotten shed and spend a lot of time and a little to a lot of money making the car do what the car was intended to do. Sometimes we even make it better... that does NOT mean that it's perfect, but it does mean that the car is a little further from the grave then when we started.

We don't restore
    We don't "save"
    We don't tell people they're letting the car waste away

We preserve.

So effing what that the car isn't perfect, that it still has drum brakes and cloth-wrapped wire (I'm talking about you Mr. David Stacey - you can't even come up with a last name, so why are you suddenly an expert?) I hate to break this to Stacey and his ilk - but bolting on parts does not restore a car, that makes you a mechanic, not a hot rodder or restorer. There's nothing wrong with being a mechanic, but shortening the instructions given before driving your prize and spending 3 truck loads of money is you making a Camry... again, not a hot rod.

After all, according to the Hot Rod editors, the Declaration of Independence is merely rotting away in a barn and being completely wasted. If it were Hot Rod, they'd take that document off the wall, and park it in Freiburger's garage where, at some point, someone would tear off a corner to use for toilet paper.

Happy Friday.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 5, 2015, 02:50 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

??? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
      ??? I don't get it.
      It's a Lawyer's rant, you won't..

Comment

I wonder what the legalities are on copyright infringement?

Comment

Bwahhahhhahhahahahhahhahahahahahhhahahahahahhahaha hhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahh ahahahahahhaha.......

Whew! That was good.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I like "restomod."

preserving EGR is like sticking an exhaust pipe up you nose with engine running.
            Something invented in seattle, where snowballs rolling down a hill makes national news.

gravity. Japan does not know what that is either.

restomod a car to understand gravity, and flow..
            spectacular.

Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
              ??? I don't get it.
              Simplified: you will not like it if somebody came on your farm and said your "stash" is rotting away and you need to pass it on to somebody to fix up and sell thus becoming well off.. Since you are "wasting" the fantasic iron you have

How far off base am I, Aaron?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Simplified: you will not like it if somebody came on your farm and said your "stash" is rotting away and you need to pass it on to somebody to fix up and sell thus becoming well off.. Since you are "wasting" the fantasic iron you have

How far off base am I, Aaron?
                I think you nailed it Bob, you speak attorney?

I like how Aaron incorporated David Stacey into it, that was awesome.

Comment

I can pretend pretty good.

Comment

so many words....

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Oh. I agree the barn "find" thing is overplayed. I know what I have around and it isn't lost, nor did stuff just drop out of the sky and land in my equipment yard for someone to "discover." If that is what you mean, SBG, we are on the same page on this.

Like Freiburger's Crop Duster. A buddy who was sharing a house with a couple other older guys met up with me when I was doing a dyno test. He said they had to move out of their rental and his roomate had a Duster body he had to get rid of. He asked if I wanted to buy it, and I replied, "Hell no." But for the 700 bucks asked I reconsidered and figured it was worth hauling home and putting in stock. I was happy to trade it to DF to get my 68.Dart back, so it turned out to be worthwhile.

Comment

I am a huge fan of stories about a car that someone squirreled away in their garage was somehow "discovered" (he said sarcastically)
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

So, Hot Rod Inc. is the biggest church in town, but maybe I like their preaching or maybe it missed the point this Sunday. I think you know what I mean, Aaron.

We just need it to be entertaining, or thought-provoking anyhow, and it's worth keeping watching.

I've always called the stash my "private reserve", borrowing the term from the Henry Weinhard beer bottles...if a rusty Willys Jeep Wagoneer ever turns out to be worth anything, I'll have guys coming along "discovering", I suppose...

Meanwhile, as soon as somebody has an opinion for me on what to do with it...they've lost me.
                          Last edited by Loren; June 6, 2015, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                            so many words....

USAF translation: We still have B52s because if we didn't have B52s then we wouldn't have B52s.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

USAF translation: We still have B52s because if we didn't have B52s then we wouldn't have B52s.
                              Circular logic works because circular logic works.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X