Sensors and switches in cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensors and switches in cars

Tuesday I was leaving work and got down town and my trailblazer just quit running. I was able to coast it to the parts store luckily and started to diagnose. When you turned the key there was nothing. When you hit the brake you couldn't pull it out of park. When it died a puff of smoke came out of the steering column. I couldn't even role up my windows. I figured it was probably the ignition switch since those are bad on going out of GM trucks. I walked in and bought one and noticed the box was dirty. Unfortunatley it was the only one they had so went out and put it in. Still nothing. I was getting worried because it was getting close to everything closing up and I couldnt tow it since it was still in park. I called the local shop and he came and got it. So...I will have a tow bill already in this. Called him yesterday and said the swicth I put in was faulty from the package so I assume somebody put there bad one in the box and sent it back to Carquest. People aggravate me and this, this isnt the first time this has happened to me getting a part from a store. So I guess what I'm getting at is if you own a GM and it goes dead on you like it did me don't put it back in park, just drop it in neutral. It would've saved a lot of time doing that trying to get it on the trailer.

There have been times when I've returned a defective part to the store, I took a yellow paint marker (such as used around junkyards) and put a big "X" on it or written "NG" (no good) just to keep them from turning around and re-selling it. I've never been challenged for de-facing their part, they just look at it for an extra second then drop it back in the box. Maybe that should be more of a habit...

Comment

I must have the problem built in subconscious.
      I was heck bent on a 5 speed manual, all relays swapped to LED sizing (tiny amps) and took the load off the brake switch that does several things at once...
      ABS, brake trailer electric brain (removed entirely), and of course lights swapped.
      I left abs alone entirely and with the small lights...a whole new world for ABS. I actually like it now.
      clutch in to start.

when a key goes bad, look to modern amp drops for the same job, by ridding anything not needed and modern downsized stuff. GM likes 40000 amp relays that click a small earthquake since the 60s. Great candidates to swap.
      Not just gm.. I attacked a 1987 subaru with weird hot key items. My first weird go with this was an 81 chevette. Had to remove the safety switch for neutral...and the key broke anyway after the cooldown.
      As it turned out, a separate big switch like hot rods... not a bad idea. Now my fuel pump in the subaru does not need a relay...on a summit 140. The aBS in my 96 gmc ended up a diff changing genius.

Guide the amps.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 18, 2015, 08:38 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
      X