Snow load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow load?

Yeah, no problem the kid at Menards said.

I see a problem kid. A big one.

did you witness the rumble before it lets go?

does not appear the goat was hurt much.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Fender is bashed, c pillar is bashed, everything is wet and moldy. Some other stuff is fubar too, like my fridge. Tools aren't damp though, so that's good.

Comment

Tin looks to be laid down the wrong way.. Should have ribs running high/low not lengthwise..
        Plus the posts look to be too far apart?
        I've got an awning type of a shed that is usually on side of a mobile in a park, it bent in the middle with an extruded beam that I hung on to check it for strength..(might have screwed it up then). Was only 8" of wet snow.. Found it at 2-3 foot droop and propped it with a 4X4 and when the snow melted, the 4by just fell over..
        If it were me doing it over, I'd make sure it stays up with extra bracing before next winter.. Be ok without the bracing during summer, but add bracing when snow comes..
        Olden days we seem to overbuild, nowadays stuff seems grossly underbuilt/engineered?

Comment

Dude, that sucks! I'm glad you are ok at least. I feel for you, my friend. That has to suck big time.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            Tin looks to be laid down the wrong way.. Should have ribs running high/low not lengthwise..
            Plus the posts look to be too far apart?
            I've got an awning type of a shed that is usually on side of a mobile in a park, it bent in the middle with an extruded beam that I hung on to check it for strength..(might have screwed it up then). Was only 8" of wet snow.. Found it at 2-3 foot droop and propped it with a 4X4 and when the snow melted, the 4by just fell over..
            If it were me doing it over, I'd make sure it stays up with extra bracing before next winter.. Be ok without the bracing during summer, but add bracing when snow comes..
            Olden days we seem to overbuild, nowadays stuff seems grossly underbuilt/engineered?
            that really sucks man...sorry about the damage... I'm sure you can fix the GTO though... it has real steel sheetmetal that you can pound a dent out of...

IIRC, this was a carport type structure that is becoming more and more popular these days... that is the way the manufacturer recommends it be built as it has no purlins between the framing members...the only structure is the steel sheet itself...
            Last edited by silver_bullet; June 20, 2015, 03:29 AM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

C pillar bummer. Anyone else but you I would say it was toast .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                C pillar bummer. Anyone else but you I would say it was toast .

After where it came from, this is easy. More annoying than anything, but I need a shop to work in before I can fix anything. Concrete is my next big purchase.

Comment

Yep. That's what I'm saying .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'm sorry to see that, Todd. I know you worked your butt off on that car. I'd grab some metal 2x4s and add some structure to it if you decide to rebuild it. The kids at Menards are told to sell, sell, sell - they know pretty much nothing.

Dan

Comment

That blows so much.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Man......on the bright side, at least the thieves and scrapppers didn't pay a visit.

Onwards and upwards, concrete! Yeah!
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I wasn't here all winter, so I was safe. Just got back on Thursday. The carport is set up so the tin goes the long way, wont work otherwise. Made some calls today, found four 20' shipping containers for sale, not bad on price. So the plan is lay down a slab of concrete wide enough to have 30' between the containers, and 40' or so long. Put them end to end, and put a roof on it with some attic space. Instant shop, and a bit of living space. Insulate the outside, cut the inner walls out, or put in doors and windows, and with a heated floor, a wood burner, and all the kitchen stuff I have now, I can probably do this cheap and fast.

Comment

I also thought about shipping containers.. Have to make sure the ones you get were not used to haul toxic chemicals.
                            Thought of 2, far apart enough to put trusses on top for roof, one to live in, other for locking storage and a place to work between them.
                            Back wall, front wall, and a roof..

Comment

Seriously, 455? Come on, a guy like you knows what he is looking at. You've done it, built.it, improvised it, and put stuff together enough to know up front and going in it was junk. Unless I've got you all wrong here.

Comment

Working...
                              X