1988 Dodge Diplomat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1988 Dodge Diplomat

I can only go by the 5.8 ltr marked on the smog tag under hood. Could quite possibly be from another car, but that's what it had. I am sure that my boss only bought all his cars from the same CHP auction house ten years running.

The car was obviously faster than anything else in the fleet. We sometimes raced them around when we got bored.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Either your year or engine is off...82-83 could have had a 360 in it, would also have the 727, but it's A38/AHB (cop) only. Fast? um...I'll put that to the tires, they'll move ok, but as a stocker, it is kinda disappointing.

Personally, I like the starters...notice every Hollywood car does, too! Not firing is probably more to the spark than the starter..
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Last 360 in a Chrysler passenger car was the St Regis and New Yorker in 1980. All cop Diplomats were 318s, AHB and/or A-38; No M-body cop cars came with the 360, although pre-cop car Dips had the 360 to 1979.

Comment

We are talking about a taxi here. Most likely the radiator cover with the smog tag came from another car, a earlier one, like you guys said. This car was the only Dodge I ever drove regularly and I didn't have to maintain it; so knowing more about it wasn't necessary.

As for the car being fast; I am speaking in relative terms. Relative to the other 90 beat up taxis in the fleet, it was fast. Compared to a big block Camaro, not even close.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The Diplomat bought back memories that I probally should not admit but I will. When My brothers truck was stolen, he was given a fully loaded NEW Dodge Diplomat as a rental car. We absolutely positively beat that car into submission. While coasting backwards on a hill, we would bring engine up to max RPM in neutral and pull it into drive. Just smoked the rear tires. We just plain beat the snot out of it. The fun factor was great. For this reason I told myself I'd never buy a used rental car. Hey we were young and having fun.

Comment

I saw the comment on Mopar starters and laughed.I've swore many times waiting for the starter to stop spinning before I could try it again.It can be a pain in the but,but it's truly a unique sound and I like it.When I first heard ZZ Top's Manic Mechanic,my Dad pointed out the Mopar starter at the beginning and told me it was probably a Road Runner.For a 6 year old Mopar nut,it gave me quite an appreciation for it,as well as the realization that they really did sound different.I don't think I'll ever go to a mini starter unless I absolutely HAVE to,simply because I like the "Ger-Ra-Ra-RaSkee Ra Ra " sound!

Comment

Working...
              X