Fix It Again Tony, Hacked Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix It Again Tony, Hacked Jeep

This is why I own a 16yr old Cherokee XJ...

Chrysler has quietly released a fix for a gaping security flaw that could allow its vehicles to be remotely hacked.

and people wonder why I'm looking for a truck no newer than 1972. I think Jeep drew the short-straw and all new-car manufacturers have similar problems.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

There was a story awhile back on the main BS page talking about the same thing happening to a Chevy Impala.
      GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

A new installment to "Big Brother" is watching, if it's true. But I definitely wouldn't be surprised.
        Well a little research, Chrysler admitted the problem! I've always wondered about OnStar and how much actual access they have. Everyone thinks all that stuff is so cool. Never subscribed to it although they we're probably still lurking in my car
        Last edited by corvettedad; July 22, 2015, 09:15 AM.
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Yep. There is a reason I do not want a car with all the computer controlled crap. Well, a reason beyond the fact that I am a luddite at heart and tend to get infuriated my computers. My 97 TBird is the most modern car I have owned, and by a comfortable margin.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            and people wonder why I'm looking for a truck no newer than 1972. I think Jeep drew the short-straw and all new-car manufacturers have similar problems.
            you need to catch up. The dump truck frames and high compression can be found into the late 90s.

I do agree bout the jeep, I worked on my sisters.. changing struts, rotors, brakes...

a relay killed the ecm, then they found the relay later..after it died for a second time.

Not even my carbed subaru pissed me off as much as that jeep. Sideways motor and the tricky classic front end fooling newbies...

holy crap. What a pile.

I did have to learn sensors for new vehicles, not too much trouble. Seems to be about the biggest nuisance after obd2.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Well! There is a "fix" put out by chrysler jeep and fiat..

Comment

Okay, I'm not the brightest string of lights on the Christmas tree, so I'm lost in the plot. I get lost in the plot watching Gilligan's Island, so that's no surprise this time.

So......why would anyone WANT to hack a Cherokee? Aside from knowing that you can and being real proud of that in some demented way....who would actually benefit from doing that? Remote murder, perhaps, a hit job on the highway? I declare, I don't understand.
                Last edited by pdub; July 22, 2015, 04:24 PM.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Cause they can, and to prove we are volnerable
                  Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                    ^^^This, and I'm glad the guys that did it are 'honest' hackers who brought it to the attention of the public.

Comment

The plot is that if you can shut it off you can turn it on also . And yeah , big brother can shut you down.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                        Neal, so is a recruiting center. So is a mall. It's dwelling on the other side of it, in my little opinion.

Comment

Peewee, with a laptop in the back of Mom's mini-van some bored 15 year old can kill your engine on the interstate just to watch your reaction. When you park and lock your car, someone can hit a few keys on their computer and unlock it, start it, and drive away. Any number of people besides the person in the drivers seat can control that car, including locking out virtually any input from the actual driver.

I want to know about these things and I would rather not find out about them the hard way. This is a serious breach of security done way too easily.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

So this whole world we now live in is based on paranoia. I won't, never will, live or think that way. And this time technology is to blame. We're still alive and living alive lives. We're humans. And I'm stupid and refuse to recognize that we are all threatened of our freedoms by technology. I don't accept that. So, I'm saying that I'm the stupid one, that's what I'm actually saying. Honestly. I'll never accept it. The whole package. I don't believe any or all of that is the majority of the things that are going on, something to be assumed is going to happen to me.

But I'm old, and old school. I may be the last one to die quietly, if the bad guys don't get me first. I just don't believe it.

Comment

Peewee it's the same as people hacking computers, they've been do it for year's but now they've gone and put computers in our cars ( not the engine computer ) but one like you're using to connect to BS. It's a crying same but like you're thread with everyone focused only on their smartphones, it is the world we live in
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X