Car Junkie Toys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Car Junkie Toys?

I had Hotwheels and Matchbox cars as a kid. Used to play with those all the time. I also built models. Krylon was my best friend during my model building years. I never liked the color the model came in, so I'd pick my own color and paint it myself. I'd also take two or three different models and build one out of it so I could get "the look" I was looking for. I also had a slot car set. It was called the TCR slotless racing set. It came with two 1975 Chevy Chevelles and a Nova "Jam Car". The jam car just went around the track without any control. You could switch lanes on the track by flipping a switch on the back of the controller. I'd try to see how close I could get to the jam car before I flipped the switch to switch lanes. When you were racing a friend, the jam car did occasionally prove to be a hinderance or an aid depending on what lane you were in! I haven't seen one of those sets in years. When I got older, my dad turned me onto Hot Rod and Car Craft mags. I've been hooked on both ever since.

Comment

My favorite models we're the Large scale XKE,Corvette, and the 57 Chevy. I think they got trashed.
      My son never got into cars much, but he has most of the Transformers he had.

Comment

nobody in here have Cox gas cars and planes? i crashed all of mine...wish i had them back. plus more than my share of tonka trucks and such.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
          nobody in here have Cox gas cars and planes? i crashed all of mine...wish i had them back. plus more than my share of tonka trucks and such.
          Thats funny that you mentioned this. I can't remember exactly what year it was, 1973-5 and I wanted one of those cars for Christmas. Santa (Dad) bought me the airplane.....WTF?? I wanted the car! Anyway, he was going to show me how to fly it. We (the whole family) all went outside and Dad is going to show us all how it works. He crashed my plane first flight out! Boy was my Mom pissed, I was crushed. From that day forward we basicly got what we wanted for Christmas, not what Dad wanted us to have. ;D

Comment

My favorite toy (and the first that I can remember) from my childhood was a "Zap Zap Racetrack". It was made for todlers and basically, you pulled a lever which raised the cars to the top of the track and they raced down to the bottom where they'd land in the same place they started. Not very intertaining above 3 years old, but I loved it as a kid.

Comment

My Mom bought my first matchbox car for me a 6 months old (yellow Lamborghini) after that they figured cars kept me quiet and I was then inundated with many more matchbox hot wheels,race tracks pedal cars and so forth.

Comment

We also had an HO-scale slot-car track. I had an Evel Kneivel Stunt Cycle, too. But the best toy was a Taco minibike.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowlesville340
                  I think I have more matchbox/hot wheels now that I did when I was a little kid.I wish I still had my Green Machine! Who else had one?I totaled mine riding it down the steps at my Grandmother's house!
                  My brother had the Mean Green Machine, I was following behind in my big wheel. They should have know then after I went through the third front wheel after doing burn outs in the driveway.
                  sigpic

Comment

Here's a pic of the slot car set I was talking about earlier...

And the cars that ran on them...

I'm thinking of getting another set off of Ebay. I had alot of fun with that set when I was a kid. In tribute to CarJunkieTV...I'd have to get this one car to go with it though...

;)

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                      Thats funny that you mentioned this. I can't remember exactly what year it was, 1973-5 and I wanted one of those cars for Christmas. Santa (Dad) bought me the airplane.....WTF?? I wanted the car! Anyway, he was going to show me how to fly it. We (the whole family) all went outside and Dad is going to show us all how it works. He crashed my plane first flight out! Boy was my Mom pissed, I was crushed. From that day forward we basicly got what we wanted for Christmas, not what Dad wanted us to have. ;D
                      Thats funny that you mentioned this. Same thing happened to me. Dad bought me the P-51 Mustang "control" plane (that was on lines) and we went to the airport for him to show me how to fly it. I started it up and he throttled up and I let go ...
                      It went around half circle and then straight up ... then straight down, hitting the concrete and smashing to bits within 10 seconds of the flight!!! That was it for the plane, but I did manage to salvage the motor and rebuild it to excellent working condition. I think it was a .029"
                      Ah, memories ...
                      ;D

Comment

When I started the car thing as a kid there were no Hot Wheels. I had plenty of Dinky Toys, Gorgi Toys and the like. I remember seeing the old movie "Grand Prix" when I was about in the 4th grade and lining up my toy cars like they did in the movie. Had to have a few wrecks here and there too. There always toy cars and trucks around. My brother and I both had the original Tonka Toy Trucks (made out of real metal!), those were great!
                        Even earlier than all of this I had a great collection of paper cars. These were pictures cut out of magazine advertisements. Sometimes you just had to make do and have a good imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMonster

It went around half circle and then straight up ... then straight down, hitting the concrete and smashing to bits within 10 seconds of the flight!!!
                          ;D
                          That is EXACTLY what happened to my planes one and only flight. I'd SWEAR we shared the same Dad ;D

Comment

With me it was all car models........probably starting around the late 50's.. early 60's.
                            I can remember doing those cars, putting on the fenders skirts, side pipes & the decals....also did some model planes.
                            My parents wondered why I was so content while putting the models together...I think later they learned it was all about a closed up room and the model car glue........I was smiling all the time ;D

Later, in high school, I did the slot car track thing.......would go to this place that you rented time on a huge slot car track.......we'd 'build' up the engines etc......that was a blast.

Then, as a dad, in the 70's & 80's I got the kids the Hot Wheels tracks, Evel Kneival stuff...anything that had to do with cars.

Comment

Originally posted by CJTORINO
                              I have this room............

and this is just one corner.
                              when Hot Wheels came out in 1968,
                              I was a little six year old kid with FIVE sisters.
                              And I started collecting diecast, and models.
                              You have to be single........

Comment

CJTORINO...wow. That's a whole lot a puddin'.

Just remember...there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

We kid because we love buddy...we kid because we love.

Brian
                                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                                X