• Show
Clear All

• Car Junkie Toys?

When did it all really start?

Wasn't it w/the toys we had as kids?
    ------------------------------------

The first one I can remember was an air-filled/blow-up

steering column w/steering wheel & horn button

that attached to the dash w/a suction cup...

the steering turned & the horn honked w/a squeeze. (Probably age 4-5)

Then, the big metal service-stations w/a working lift-bay,

that came w/little match-stick size cars. Believe it was a Texaco.

Then, the Aurora Model Motoring sets!! Got one at Christmas 3 yrs. straight!!

Then. dozens of AMT-brand model cars!! Revell may have had more detail,

but AMT-kits had rubber tires & actually rolled...so you could street-race a pal!

Give yours the best shove, & the car that rolled the straightest & longest won.

Then, the whole Ed Roth "Rat-Fink" world of toys exploded! Then...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could go on & on for pages w/o stopping, but now...it's your turn! --

Re: Car Junkie Toys?

I had three cases of Hot Wheels, a stack of CARtoons magazines, a bunch of models, and...

Comment

In 68-70 my father worked for a local dept. store in the toy dept, I was 8-10. He brought home just about every Hot Wheels that hit the shelf including duplicates of a bunch of them. I sure wish I had save a load of them. The only ones I saved were some of those mini Hot Wheels customs (half the size of the regular Hot Wheels). I took good care of them for some reason and never got rid of them.

Comment

My uncle Kevin Edwards got me hooked . Bought my first model 67 fastback mustang. First of hundreds.Don't have any to show for it . Blasted fire crackers.

Comment

My old man was a motor head so he always got me Hot Wheeels and Matchbox cars...I had over 700 at one time.....Pops had a SS 396 Nova and I can remember going to the drive in it...His 327 4spd biscane, 65 Chevelle, a Mach 1 and 2 other mustangs...it was hard not to dig cars....And to this day glass packs make me smile like a kid at Christmas

Comment

actual first car toy I remember was a 64 mustang that came in a cereal box..... Hot Wheels when they first came out... and yeah I've got maybe 10 of them left...beat to crap... but they were mine and that's cool...

Dad coming home on Xmas with a 4 X 8 board strapped to the roof... happened to be the display for the Toy department he worked in part time ... it had a Full layout of an HO scale slot car track... complete with inside figure eight... Used that board lay out for several years until I got old enough to start changing it ... and we had so much extra track by that time that we did some really crazy stuff...

Cool thoughts... thanks...

Keith

Comment

As a 1 or 2-year old I seem to always turn a toy-car I got upside down and just spun the wheels as hard as I could... and for as long as my parents could bear the noise... :
              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

whoa, what a flashback............

Car ads on tv
                Car ads in LIFE & POST mag

Then the little pages...........Car Craft-----Rod & Custom-----Hot Rod (green Like feature pages)

Car models

Oh no, then the real thang...............yeah ;D

Thanks to Mom and Dad for puttin up with me, miss ya.

Thanks for the memories - thats all we got left and they are too cool ;)

Comment

Hot Wheels Redlines were the coolest, with that orange track, loops and jumps and the cars hauled ass, but since they did not come out until 1968, I was big into plastic models; cars, boats, planes, anything with a motor.

I still collect Tom Daniel models (don't build them though) and Hot Wheels and wish I had left them in the blister packs, cause they are pulling in $300+ on eBay these days.

Does anyone remember the Mattel VROOM motor toy that came out in the early 60's? You installed it in your bicycle frame and when you turned the key on, it made motorcycle noises? AWESOME !!!

I just love being a kid
                  ;D

Comment

I remember practicing my slam-shifting on that fisher-price dashboard. Of course there were the 3-4 cases of matchboxes...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMonster
                      Hot Wheels Redlines were the coolest, with that orange track, loops and jumps and the cars hauled ass,
                      ;D
                      Who still plays with their orange track stuff?? I've still got, and play with, both the track and dragstrip. My car buds love it when I bring it out when they're over.

Comment

Since I grew up pre-hotwheels the first really cool car toy I got for Christmas was an electric race track when I was about 13. Head lights worked on the cars. Got in trouble a few times playing with it after bed time in the dark. Other than that I wore out more than one pack of playing cards on the bike.

Comment

I have this room............

and this is just one corner.
                          when Hot Wheels came out in 1968,
                          I was a little six year old kid with FIVE sisters.
                          And I started collecting diecast, and models.

Comment

I think I have more matchbox/hot wheels now that I did when I was a little kid.I wish I still had my Green Machine! Who else had one?I totaled mine riding it down the steps at my Grandmother's house!

Comment

Originally posted by CJTORINO
                              I have this room............

and this is just one corner.
                              when Hot Wheels came out in 1968,
                              I was a little six year old kid with FIVE sisters.
                              And I started collecting diecast, and models.
                              HOLY SH!T BATMAN !!! This is more than the store had !!! SWEET ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X