Chainsaws and alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chainsaws and alcohol

Well maybe we should just stick with chainsaws for now. I'm in the market for a chainsaw. I need something in the 18" range. My old "city" Polan Pro is a POS and I need a real one now. I was looking at a Stihl MS 271, which is a 18" going for $404. The local TSC carries Johsenred. I'm not too familiar with them at least they're not made in China. TSC has a similar size Johsenred, I think it's a 20" bar with a 56 CC engine for $399. It's on sale till end of October for $349 and I also have a gift card from TSC, don't know how much but probably $50. I now Stihl is a very good saw, I'll probably end up with that but does anyone know anything about the Johsenred? I believe they're owned buy Huskivarna.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Jonsserd, Husqvarna, Polan, are owned by Electrolux, they used to own Husky and Mccullough and may still make their saws, and Craftsman saws are made them also.

I have a Stihl and believe that is the ONLY saw to get !

Comment

jonsered.
      That is where I left off in 1991.

I cannot recall the claim to fame, but I wanted one. is it scandinavian? Look for a wood working country, see what they like. Russia to trucks is chainsaws to..?
      That whole manual labor field is gone today.. but did get taught by the real old school.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have a stihl 361 - I replaced a Poulan with the Stihl. Never again will I own a cheap chainsaw (even when it wasn't really cheap to begin with). There really are only two brands Huskavarna and Stihl - of those two, there really is one good saw choice. Stihl.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 8, 2015, 01:14 PM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Husky= throwaway Stihl..
          Got an 015 I bought new in 1975
          Got an 045 I bought new in 1976
          Neither been in shop for anything but carb rebuilding (I love the way Ted sets up saws for me)
          I also have 028, 032, two 056's and an 084..
          I also have 3 old Macs for funsies.. They are workers.. But the Stihls are the workhorses
          Easy to start, hold and maintain..

Comment

you know, with that said, there were 2 may 3 days when the Poulan would flat out rock.... of course, all the other days I wanted to hit it with a rock.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              I have a stihl 361 - I replaced a Poulan with the Stihl. Never again will I own a cheap chainsaw (even when it wasn't really cheap to begin with). There really are only two brands Huskavarna and Stihl - of those two, there really is one good saw choice. Stihl.
              I have to agree!! I have owned manysaws, and by for the best I have found is Stihl. My son is an Arborist, and will only use Stihl or Huskavarna!
              Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
              Gregg and Deb Miller
              Verona, Wi.

Comment

Stihl
                Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I own a 029 and my grandpa had x2 028 Sthil's. My dad hates them but I swear by them. There sold at John Deere dealerships so they have to be good right? lol

Comment

Originally posted by chevybuytroy View Post
                    I own a 029 and my grandpa had x2 028 Sthil's. My dad hates them but I swear by them. There sold at John Deere dealerships so they have to be good right? lol
                    And expensive, lol.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post

And expensive, lol.
                      No doubt! Readily available parts, though... which you may need. I had a stihl 'farm boss" 271 and the choke assembly plasticy thing broke on day one. ONE. It ran like a good 50cc saw and had no problems with an 18" bar (iirc) in dead old hard as a rock oak. I didn't have it a week, it came up missing. Good saw but I probably wouldn't buy another one. The choke system sucked it, was not glove friendly to me. The oil and gas fills are super easy, so was the chain tensioner. Good points for a saw you use a lot.

Kind of like the Makita/DeWalt/Ryobi bit. Like the Ryobi stuff, I can leave the McCulloch or my super cheap and super light Homelite in the back of the truck in a gas station and not be too worried about it being there when I get back.

I sold and worked on a bunch of different brands many years ago. My favorites were Husqvarna's and Echo's. I wound up with a 61cc McCulloch strictly on price - boss let me put one together out of junk for 10.00 and it's still going. The dealerships I worked at didn't sell Stihl or I would probably say I liked them too. They are $$$ that is probably worth it in the long run if you can maintain ownership. Whatever you end up getting, with all the crap they put in the fuel these days and the NON REBUILDABLE / non adjustable, main jet inaccessible without hacking it apart carburetors, Seriously consider the multi-year extended warranty.. and a couple of extra chains for it when you buy it. Stihl's chains are pretty good but may be hard to find on a Sunday depending on if you have a 3/8 or .325 pitch. Dull saws will wear you down to the ground long before the tree hits it.

Ah- on the TSC Jonsered, they've been around a long time and enjoyed a good reputation back when I worked on such things. That's been a long time though. The one you are looking at, Jonsered considers a homeowner / ranch saw and my biggest concern with it is that it's CARB compliant. That equals lean and hot to me but it's the same for pretty much everything any more. A 20" blade on a 55 cc saw is a good balance but it's too big to get into a tree with for me. I'd get a good electric to go along with it for around the house.
                      Last edited by Beagle; August 10, 2015, 10:01 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                      X