Looking at a car from across the pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a car from across the pond

Looking at this old Triumph GT6. It looks pretty neat, as far as styling. Has a 6 and a 4 speed with overdrive. Lousy rear suspension. Needs lots of TLC, hasn't been driven for a long time, but the body is straight and solid. And I like the wheels.

I wonder if it might replace her Miata?

Click image for larger version

Name:	GT6a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	1049990

Click image for larger version

Name:	GT6b.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	1049991
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

that is very cool..and I like the red oxide attempt.

4 speed with overdrive..is that 3, and the fourth gear overdrive, or is it a 5 speed?
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

4 speed with overdrive. The overdrive is on the back of the 4 speed transmission. So, it's a 4 speed with overdrive, not a 3 speed with overdrive, nor a 5 speed
      My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        4 speed with overdrive. The overdrive is on the back of the 4 speed transmission. So, it's a 4 speed with overdrive, not a 3 speed with overdrive, nor a 5 speed
        uh, yeah, what he said....
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

and appears there are no brakes either, you can't find one on this side of the pond?
          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Its got Arizona plates on it. So I don't think shipping will be bad.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Its not a convertible might be a hard sell to replace her car.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Beware of the rust of english cars
                Beware of the electrical gremlins that were factory installed

they're cool because IRS, but everything but the motor is pretty fragile.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This one doesn't have any rust. The suspension is lousy, the electrical system probably leaks smoke, but at least what I can see looks like it hasn't been hacked up.

Looks like the roof probably leaks a lot, even though it's not a convertible. half the weatherstrip is gone.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

If you get it, will your brother wire it up to play some classic James Bond music as soon as it starts up?
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                      ...you can't find one on this side of the pond?
                      Must mean "built there", appears to be local now...

Wow...a Mark I. Yep, the horrible rear suspension, but probably more collectable.

Had a high-school freind with one, went with him to buy paint for something once. Man, what a roller skate! But it's my considered opinion that these are cars that in good condition will be highly valued someday. Kids with money who weren't even born in that century are gonna look at that and think it's cool.

My thought would be, gently remove and store that suspension (or at-least patch up the design with a Z-bar or something) and all electrical and make a project out of fabbing/installing replacements so it can be driven, and have at it. No Rust, is all you need for that to be a great car.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        This one doesn't have any rust. The suspension is lousy, the electrical system probably leaks smoke, but at least what I can see looks like it hasn't been hacked up.

Looks like the roof probably leaks a lot, even though it's not a convertible. half the weatherstrip is gone.

I don't think rubbers are expensive for that car because they're so popular to restore - but I'd certainly check so you don't have to perform CPR on your wife when you tell her you spent more on rubbers then you did on the rest of the car. Still, rust free? the rest is solvable. My dad is fixing the wiring in his Sunbeam Alpine (and making it negative ground) so I've been recently regaled with horror stories on wiring. His line is he should have simply started over even though it was minor stuff like a blinker and a gauge that started his work.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My (limited) experience w/ an old MG causes me to believe, tear it all out and put a Painless harness in there with added ground wires for everything. Have somebody screen "Smiths" on a set of Auto Meter gauges.
                          Last edited by Loren; August 9, 2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas....

My fabulous web page

Comment

It's already "James Bond". AZ plate on the back, CA on the front. Basically a Spitfire with a roof.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X