Two road diverged in a Pontiac. Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two road diverged in a Pontiac. Advice needed

So I have been working daily on my Catalina, making fantastic progress, but wasn't spending any money except for a gallon of paint. Yesterday that changed when I scored a complete interior for $60. As luck would have it, same color as mine. Thats a big deal because it has the big Pontiac cloth that was beat badly and could get pricey trying to use it.

Skip back a couple weeks and I have not had one response on C.L ad for 66 Tempest Wagon. That's a shame because a dollar bill could cover the only real rust on it. Its in fantastic condition vis a vis the body, frame and glass. The Interior is so, so but useable.

So the point of the post:

I am working on two courses of action
    1. Keep the tempest and put my Sprint Engine in it.

2. Trade the Tempest for another Catalina, but this one a convertible with 428 engine in boxes.Click image for larger version

Name:	00m0m_hezZRIDGV0h_600x450.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1050204Click image for larger version

Name:	00x0x_ikXyK5RKOno_600x450.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1050205
    Why dance when you can rock and roll?

If you want to learn what spending money is all about, get that convertible....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

oops That bad huh?

Comment

It's not bad, if you have the money. But if you don't have the money, you won't get very far with it.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

IMO:

More money? Kinda the same thing as, "more time", and you got plenty of that, right? Get a side job mowing lawns, 'cause convertibles are the bomb. Everybody needs at-least one. .

Comment

why get another project you're going to keep? all while trading a vehicle that was going to be sold to pay for repairs the other, keeper vehicle?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My thinking (probably wrong) is I now have made the switch from all Chev, to all Pontiac. I have tons of Pontiac items that I can either use or trade. If I get up every morning and work on something, sooner or later I add value and can sell it to pay me at least more than I am making on V.A. and SS disabilities .

In my world, the one I am used to, I couldn't get a job to even save a Liberal, so I have to try anything and everything. I don't feel at ease standing on a corner with a tin cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                IMO:

More money? Kinda the same thing as, "more time", and you got plenty of that, right? Get a side job mowing lawns, 'cause convertibles are the bomb. Everybody needs at-least one. .
                It would be something different for a change. Haven't messed with a rag top since I gave up on English and Italian back in the 70's. Wifey don't care, she just wants a road cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  It's not bad, if you have the money. But if you don't have the money, you won't get very far with it.
                  If I can get it running, clean and in paint, will let someone with money start doing the editorial work.

Comment

Take a look at this thread to get an idea what's involved here:

Hint: It won't be cheap.

Comment

I've seen that Catalina and must say it's a heap of shit.

Comment

The kid in me says 428 Bonneville? Convertible? Go for it! But the old dude in me says finish ONE car THEN think about more. Having a running, showable car you can be proud of is a thousand times better than ANY project. Plus it will remain a project with you improving it and honing it until you sell it. Also even when/if you complete multiple cars being a fleet manager may not be for you. The EASIEST part of the hobby is STARTING a project. The BEST part of the hobby is enjoying a completed or nearly completed one. These AREN'T the good old days. BangShift is a GREAT resource for building a car, but keep your eye on goals. Ask a guy at the next show you SPECTATE at if he would rather still be up to his ear in rust and dust working on his car.

BTW you REALLY lucked out with that $60 donor interior. Don't DEPEND on that kind of luck all the time.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I opt for the wagon. Definately the Bonny is a cool car but at the end of the day it isn't much fun if you can't drive it if you don't have the funds or parts.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            The kid in me says 428 Bonneville? Convertible? Go for it! But the old dude in me says finish ONE car THEN think about more. Having a running, showable car you can be proud of is a thousand times better than ANY project. Plus it will remain a project with you improving it and honing it until you sell it. Also even when/if you complete multiple cars being a fleet manager may not be for you. The EASIEST part of the hobby is STARTING a project. The BEST part of the hobby is enjoying a completed or nearly completed one. These AREN'T the good old days. BangShift is a GREAT resource for building a car, but keep your eye on goals. Ask a guy at the next show you SPECTATE at if he would rather still be up to his ear in rust and dust working on his car.

BTW you REALLY lucked out with that $60 donor interior. Don't DEPEND on that kind of luck all the time.

You make some excellent points. I probably do appear flaky on these things because to finish these cars I have to get my shop cleared out. It can hold four cars. They are now in the driveway. If I happen to leave anything like an engine stand or hoist loaded without proper blocking of wheels, it will travel a whole block before it meets enough resistance to stop. A lot of the stuff in the shop is not mine. They belong to apartments and to toss it yet would give me grief. I am working on it, but its not my zoo. I can load up probably two cars with appropriate interior's, engine, trans etc and finally have enough room on one area to bring them inside. That is what I am working towards at the moment.

Lastly, the only reason I am dealing with wagon vs rag top is I don't have enough of anything to get the wagon healthy enough to sell. Marc's generosity and my efforts separately gives me what I need to have both Catalina and Lemans driving under their own power with minimal output of cash.

Not true at all for Wagon and it worries me not one interested party after a month of being listed for sale. I kid you not, this wagon is in excellent condition where it matters. Just looks like crap because they stripped it to pretty much bare metal and treated it with Metal Prep 79 ( a full coat of ugly) but light hand sanding with 320 makes it ready for 2k primer,

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                              I opt for the wagon. Definately the Bonny is a cool car but at the end of the day it isn't much fun if you can't drive it if you don't have the funds or parts.
                              I probably have enough funds for Bonnie, but after a year of looking, still can't find a machine shop to take on the OHC-6 for the wagon. I can get another engine for Bonnie in a couple hours if I had to, just wouldn't be the 428.

Comment

Working...
                              X