Superman's Mechanical Mysteries Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman's Mechanical Mysteries Revealed

I got an education on troubleshooting this past weekend, weeks and months after the fact.

I was able to stay ahead of Superman's Vette with Red at Road Atlanta. There were two "becauses." He slung the big belt off and was afraid to spin many R's after that. Even at that, the engine he built himself wasn't performing.

SM loves to fabricate stuff. When he went to roller rockers he had much taller valve covers. He made a bracket to move the alternator farther away to clear the valve covers. That bracket he made flexed under stress - thrown belt. He figured that out. Now he has a beefy bought sexy chrome aftermarket bracket that will not move or flex under acceleration. $170 later.

Even while his big belt was on and he was running low RPMs to keep from throwing another one, he was losing power. He took the thing apart and looked at the heads. He had got Summit heads with inferior brass valve guides, according to him. He was leaking/burning a quart per hundred miles right there. He showed me the "old" heads, not so old at all. Two cylinders on the heads looked like charcoal.

Now he's got more better heads with better valve guides and the car even sounds different leaving the driveway. So much for outrunning a Vette. It was a ....weighted contest.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Hot rodding in a nut shell, right there.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Hot rodding in a nut shell, right there.
      I never had any fantasies about it. But it sure was fun, going as fast as you can on the fastest track around and staying ahead of a built Corvette. After a run, I asked Superman, "Why didn't you just come up there and blow my doors off?"

Well, he had some mechanical issues that prevented that.

Comment

Road Courses are 60-80% driver. Danny Ongais could lap Superman in his Vette driving Red, rest assured. How hard will YOU and Red hit Road Atlanta?

Seriously, slip one of the instructors a tip and cut HIM loose on Supes.
        Last edited by RockJustRock; August 10, 2015, 04:54 PM.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Supes raced superbikes. He's as old as I am, so we're having an equal amount of fun.

His body is full of nuts and bolts, like Evel Knevil. From all the wrecks. He knows his way around all of the road courses in the Southeast. For me to stay ahead of him in a slower car, yeah, his car was broke.

Comment

Well, he'll get ya next time, P.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              Well, he'll get ya next time, P.
              Yes, That he WILL. That car ..... the transmission that he rebuilt himself, it's a 4 speed. And a real slow shift between gears. Even slower than shifting Red.

The Vette's engine inhales between gears. I've ridden in it. WAAAAHHHHHHHH........snarl, snore, bubble snarl...next gear. The danged thing inhales between gears. Real loudly if he has the cutouts open.

"GFAtydhsfsiyy." WHAT? WHAT did you say?" (ears ringing)

Comment

One you get into the guts of a manual you actually enjoy feeling things work. The synchros act as little conical clutches to bring the gears up to speed. Of course Ronnie Sox or Dick Landy didn't care about ANY of that.

That or Gear Oil smells SO bad he never wants to go there again.
                Last edited by RockJustRock; August 11, 2015, 02:56 PM.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                X