California Bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Bound

So civilian me has been hired into quasi-government service. Got the coolest job I could think of inside the nuclear weapons complex at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an experimental test coordinator. Job involves planning and executing experiments that cost millions and have ZERO room for failure. Stressful but one of the coolest aggregation of skills requirements and training opportunities I can think of. I get to go back to doing science for a living with the added benefit of the primary test means is blowing things up. Because of this though, I'm still going to withhold my name, hope y'all understand.

Sorry I'm passing by many of y'all on my way across most of the country without stopping in but the schedule is full and I only get so many days of paid travel. Being in Cali though I hope to see folks at Bonneville and I'll get back to working on that engine here once I get settled in and have a chance to fix up the remaining bits of the Riviera (shifter cable, trans pan, dipstick, and redoing 80%+ of the brakes). California weather and proximity to the lab mean I'm likely to start driving it to work frequently. Hopefully I can get the NA tune done comfortably enough to squeeze a turbo and intercooler into the budget to bring it up to full power.

See those of you who are in the Bay Area (or closish) sometime in the future.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

My bro-in-law worked there for a while. He was ex-AF OSI. Did something in security, I imagine. Cost of living will depend on which side of the Altamont Pass you live on. Why you will see many commuting from the Stockton area. Lots of boating in the Sacramento River delta north of Stockton. The Pleasanton Good Guys shows are twice a year. Bangshift Chad is usually there. There are quite a few really good swap meets in the Tracy area.

Best wishes on your new adventure.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Lived and had my business in Livermore for 18 years until 1995. Shop was in the first industrial area closest to the west entrance of LLL. Went over to Manteca and the business lease pric went down 50%, all Insureances dropped around 20-25%. Livermore is still considered the bay area for that type of stuff, or it used to be. Livermore is still nice. Have firends there. Shop where work and race car located in Modesto and we live in Riverbank. Housing, etc. a lot cheaper but commute over the hill can be trying in the morning and in the afternoon.Like Scott said, car shows, swap meets, etc. Stockton is a little rough now so be careful where you land. But have plenty of racing up here for sure with the local track!

Comment

We're looking at the Tri-Valley for sure at least to start out due to school for my son. Public started this week and we aren't there and private is full in Tracy. We're hoping the bubble pops a bit and pushes houses back down into our budget within the next two years while my relocation incentive is still good for down payment. With all the nice house you can buy/rent in Tracy or Mt House, DC taught me the real value is being able to spend time in the house. 1hr commute each way made my day too long to enjoy any time in the garage since family comes first and that's all I had time for.

Good to hear about the swap meets and such. Be nice to have something for the more hands dirty types than DC where Cars and Coffee with who has the shiniest Maserati or the most catalog items on their GT500 was about all they had. Thanks guys.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

glad to see your integrity gets right back into where it is headed.

I walk by a lamp that kicks on by itself at dusk...it thinks I am the sun and shuts off.

stay healthy in your experiments.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Drive safe and you'll certainly find year round car culture when you get there.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Travel safe.. Blow stuff up safe, do not, above all, pollute a river

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                ...The Pleasanton Good Guys shows are twice a year. Bangshift Chad is usually there...
                Guest whats starts today! Taking the family since we need to get out of our hotel.

Applied for a house in Livermore that's ~10-15min by bike from the Lab. Its small but has the most car friendly garage and landlord of any we've had. With biking to work I'll also have more budget and demand for getting the Riviera ready for California classic car daily driving. Got to get the transmission swap finished (new pan, dipstick, and shifter cable) and the brakes made reliable. After that it's saving for the turbo and intercooler so it's not such a dog.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Glad you found a place. Must be in the center of town by the sound. Used to live on teh west side and rode my boike as well as te town was very bike friendly. Travel safe. Mid 90's where I'm at for the next 10 days. Beats the 106 last Monday!

Comment

Originally posted by John Brewer View Post
                    Glad you found a place. Must be in the center of town by the sound. Used to live on teh west side and rode my boike as well as te town was very bike friendly. Travel safe. Mid 90's where I'm at for the next 10 days. Beats the 106 last Monday!
                    It's in the "Ladies Names" neighborhood across Vasco from the Lab. I'm hoping to bike as much as I can mainly to save money and avoid a gym membership since it seems like the mornings will be cool enough to avoid sweating it up on all but the days I have to wear a suit which should be next to none in my position.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                    X