Nicknames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicknames

Lots of folks at work have nicknames. Mine's peewee of course, but nobody will call me that at worik. They're afraid. I hate it. I''m dressed too well. One time I tried it, "If you like me, call me peewee. If you hate me, call me Rusty."

Well, that didn't work. They were new, they were afraid.

The best nickname where I work, by far, is a guy everybody calls "Sheetrock." They call him that, and he loves it, they call him that because he just "Hangs around." Nobody even knows what his real name is, he's just "Sheetrock."

One of the foremen ran into Sheetrock and his family at a local restaurant, he said Sheetrock introduced him to his wife. "This is Mrs. Sheetrock." And their daughter was at the table. Sheetrock said, "And this is our daughter Drywall."

Seriously. I'm not kidding.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Privacy issues?
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Got a guy at the mill, we call him Codsack. The story, we have a turnstile gate we have to go through to get into Mill, next to it is the prime parking spot. Well one day about 20 year's ago Codsack got the spot, well somebody hung a pair of Deer testicals off his rearview mirror right after he got out. He bragged all day about getting the best parking spot ( 12 hr shift and a warm day ). Somebody made sure he was late leaving so EVERYONE leaving saw them hanging. He's been Codsack ever since.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

It seems nicknames are hardly ever used anymore. I hardly ever meet anyone who is introduced by their nickname. I know only one person on our plant floor that has a nickname that anyone uses. You would think a factory would have nicknames. Nope. Our block department head is known as Animal. It is funny to see the look on the face of new young employees when they meet him and hear is name.

Personally, I have only had one nickname that ever lasted. It was rarely used outside my family. My grandmother called me Scott Owen. My uncle shortened that to ScottO almost instantly and it stuck. None of my friends ever call me that. When they do, they are obviously uncomfortable doing so. Like it is an unnatural act.

Growing up, I was known by my last name by people in school. That stopped when I moved to California.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Mine is so simple.....Ed. I won't divulge my real name.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I had a given nickname for a few years after leaving the military. In the service it was rank & last name. In high school it seemed that everyone used both names when talking about me. That has continued off & on throughout life. In high school there was thirteen Scotts so last names helped but afterward didn't make sense. Maybe the two names together roll off the tongue easily, I don't know.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

At work I get Dano or Dan the Man . Nothing cool .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Racing NEEDS nicknames. That is a LOT of the popularity of the Grudge, No Prep and Street Racing scene. Birdman, Shadow, Corndog, Cornbread, Bad Judgement, Shocker car or driver doesn't matter. In the 80s when I hung around Byron it really honked me off when drivers started painting their names on the car in big letters instead of thinking up something, anything to call it. Now it is sponsors or psuedo-sponsors and the name on the window or roof edge. Lately it is the "Motorsports" label. A guy kicks his wife's car out of the garage to build a race car and suddenly he is "Douchebag Motorsports" instead of just the douchebag he was before.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I've been called Tedly since about 1987, when I moved to Memphis. It followed me around long enough that it just stuck. My buddy was always called Short because, well, it was his last name. Always threw me when someone called him Michael. One of my best friends got the name Spud after someone was giving him grief about being a couch potato. JJ was called Woody because he was perpetually horny. Bill is Billfuss because... I don't actually know why, it just kinda showed up one day and never left. Melissa is Melvis. Brandy is Bran Muffin... Most of these are from back in high school/college days. Don't really know too many people by their nicknames now.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                    Got a guy at the mill, we call him Codsack. The story, we have a turnstile gate we have to go through to get into Mill, next to it is the prime parking spot. Well one day about 20 year's ago Codsack got the spot, well somebody hung a pair of Deer testicals off his rearview mirror right after he got out. He bragged all day about getting the best parking spot ( 12 hr shift and a warm day ). Somebody made sure he was late leaving so EVERYONE leaving saw them hanging. He's been Codsack ever since.
                    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DING! HHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

EDIT: We hired a millwright this year, he told it on himself - his nickname is Stickrod. By his own account, he's really competitive. On a construction job, he fell for a prank. The guys were talking about how many welding rods you could bend around the back of your your neck at one time. Yep, this guy bit on it. He got about 12 and bent them around the back of his neck and all the flux stuff broke off of the rods and went all down his shirt and stuff and....Stickrod.
                    Last edited by pdub; August 14, 2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

One derby driver is "Midge" because he is short (femized Midget, thus Midge)
                      Another is "Weiner" because he called his car "Hot Dog" and had the dog n bun for a roof sign, so he started painting his car like a wtermelon, now he s called "Melonhead" remember the comic book with the "Melonhead" with more $$ than sense? ..
                      We got "Redneck", "Doc" ( pharmacist)
                      Used to work in a shop with 5 "Bob"s.. I was called "Morton" Co-worker introduced me to hs wife.. "This is Morton" she asks, "What is your last name, Morton?".... I say "Morton". She shakes her head.. I see her talking to herself "Morton Morton" while shaking her head.. "I mean your LAST NAME"
                      I say "Morton, you mean what is my FIRST NAME? It's Bob"
                      Her hubby never knew my name was Bob, even tho my coveralls said "ROBERT"

Comment

"Huskinhano" one guy on the Mustang forum thought it was an Indian name. Well, I guess it's root are come to think of it. We've owned property in PA for about 20 years. It's close to the Susquehanna river. Our daughter Lia when she was little would call it the Huskinhano river. The name just stuck with us. What my wife calls is something else, I think it will get bleeped out.

I worked at a job where there were two other Toms, we all worked together too. One Tom we call junior not because he was the youngest but he was always dating jail bait.
                        Last edited by Huskinhano; August 16, 2015, 07:24 AM.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          Lots of folks at work have nicknames. Mine's peewee of course, but nobody will call me that at work.
                          So, how did you get the nickname peewee, pw?

I've been called many things, the forum filters would probably block most of them.

Some of my friends have nicknames.

Big Jim. Jim's not big by any means, he's a little guy with a big personality.
                          Jimco, I don't know how Jim got the nickname, incorporated early in life?
                          Sponge Bob.., Bob's a mooch, he bums beer, cigs, bail money etc..
                          Hippy Chris, I think he was on acid for 3 months one time, he came back, eventually..
                          Mr Drew, his nickname is simple, Andrew = Mr Drew..

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

So, how did you get the nickname peewee, pw?

I walked onto a construction job, an ironworking crew, when I was 17 years old. I was by more than 150 pounds the least little one there so I was peewee at first sight. And they had all done time in jail, all except one of them. Everybody got a name. Worm. Spook. peewee's not bad at all.

They hired a guy they couldn't tag right away. But they tricked him into going to the storeroom to check out a chainsaw to cut a stainless steel pipe with. From then on he was Chainsaw. Later they hired Chainsaw's younger brother and he was Hacksaw before he ever even got there.

Comment

Another guy on the machine, when he was going through the hiring process with about 15 others everyone was asking questions, well his dad worked at the mill and with every question asked he would say " well my Daddy said it's like this ". So for the last twenty year's he's been " Daddy said ". Then there's " Lean to " when ever you see him he's leaning on something.
                              Last edited by corvettedad; August 16, 2015, 11:26 AM.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X