If a Famous, Overpriced, Non-Functional Pro Streeter is on your wish list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a Famous, Overpriced, Non-Functional Pro Streeter is on your wish list

I love the headline. Yes the course it changed things..... IMHO for the worse.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

8 port nitrous..and carbs.
    sign of the times.

in the early 90s, that era was just catching up here local. It was fun to see.
    That nova kept G-body builds going, because they are all weak with big motors..shared some traits and inspiration.

it is all faded away now.
    I like it, it really is a part of history.

I'd rather a truck when it is said and done, and that is happening now too...
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I don't know what your problem is ... that is badder asser cool !!!

Comment

She's beautiful, yes. She's powerful too. But in over 20 years in her life she's never gone all the way. Built for acceleration, but never turned loose on a racetrack. I like the idea my fantasies would actually put out for me. I'd like to make them scream. Now Larry Larson, HE lives out my fantasies. THAT is THE Chevy II that changed the course of the hobby.

Maybe with yet another owner this lady won't remain a drag strip virgin. I hope it is very good for her and her new owner. Otherwise she will die a barren old maid.
        Last edited by RockJustRock; August 19, 2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing it will be one of those cars they're expecting to go for huge coin but will fall on it's face. My guess, less than $100k unless the two right crazies are in the room.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

With all due respect for the craftsmanship and creativity, frankly I wouldn't dare take that thing down a racetrack at any speed higher than what I'd want to hit a wall with. Dobbertin creations tend to be amazing at the expense of kinda a disconnect with the real world. Watching vid of his bizarre boats thrash about in the water, I don't think he placed much value on actual performance then or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
              I wouldn't dare take that thing down a racetrack at any speed higher than what I'd want to hit a wall with.
              I surely would not drive it on the street either !!

Comment

like it better then the J2000
                Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Ahhhh, the J2000. Polished Stainless frame, valve spring rear suspension. Sullivan never went for the theme of "ultimately fast". His stuff was cool and kinda quick. Matt and Debbie Hay kept things a bit more real. I guess Rod Saboury was THE guy back then. In the late 80's a career change and opportunity drew me away from the hobby.

Comment

I understand your point - about the car not being a race car - but I'm struggling with "so what." Rat rods are current itineration of "useless" hot rods, but, from my point of view, they're still hot rods because they show creativity and someone's talent (or lack thereof). Honesty, we've all built cars that were death traps - but does that make them more or less cool? racing isn't the goal for everyone. Hell, the closest race track to me is at least an hour away in no traffic and 3 if it's bad traffic.... thus, if I was building a vehicle for competition, it'd be as static of a display as the J2000 or the Nova because I don't have 12 hours to commit to test and tune - and let's not even talk about actually racing the car.

thus, when I get the Buick Sledanette done, I can picture you complaining about how useless that car is.... after all, 900 hp, no roll cage and bench seats... I'd rather be in the Nova if safety is the goal.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 20, 2015, 09:44 AM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Rat Rods are pretty much all daily drivers. The Street Rod theme comes into play. Could every 32 Highboy out there set a record on the dry lakes? No, but they do accomplish SOMETHING on a weekly basis. I worry that you couldn't mat the throttle on sticky pavement for most without shredding the rear suspension rather than the tires, but that's just me. Maybe that foot through the firewall test is a better yardstick than the quarter mile. Floor Dobbertin's Chevy II with nitrous I think it would cough and possibly lift the blower. Floor the J2000? Shudder!

Do what you like with your Buick, but make it stomp-worthy. For yourself, not me.

Comment

rat rods and their offspring, crap rods are anything but daily drivers. Do some drive them daily? sure - but all of them are a moving violation and as such, cannot be considered a daily driver because eventually a cop will get a burr in his or her saddle and impound the car.

before you get all persnickety, when the rat rods came out, I fully supported the idea of driving a car that was in process. Now? they're simply a "statement" and a really, really stupid one at that.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 20, 2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

You don't like Crap Rod. I don't like Pro Fairground. Pretty Simple.

Comment

good thing BangShift is all about Pro Jackstand.

Comment

I did NOT say that! I used to be into Pro Newstand. Now I'm into Pro Keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X