Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracking big granite

cutting 26000 pounds with a 2 pound hammer
    I was hauling a boat down deer isle way, and the road was real tight.
    my dad gets going on the granite chunk on a flat bed.. 20 tons, looking small compared to the size f the rig.

I could not believe they made it around the corners and leaning roads and hills...

and here is the way they cracked it.

the last I heard this dialect was loggers local. All but gone now..
    the coast hangs on to it.

I learned my steel ethics out loud here, I used to be silent. Brought me out of the closet so to speak. Not many welders anymore either..as if steel is scary today. Guys like in this video are inspiration.

I noticed the guy is the same age as me.. possibly the same epiphany came across as kids. I'll visit the Deer Isle hostel some day.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 20, 2015, 03:24 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

That's absolutely amazing, the sound. Like playing an out-of tune xylophone.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      That's absolutely amazing, the sound. Like playing an out-of tune xylophone.
      I focused the steel as well. Quite an art.
      Hit or miss the grain they want.

We were boating by some small granite islands that left off with big machines, they go all the way to precision from the get go. Every move. They moved so much rock, it changed the shape of the island. ..a bunch of squares chunked out. The old days had the depth of the spike.
      Slate was another one local, had manpower... natural nukers and dust made it deadly.
      The church next door is no doubt hand made slate roof, big 12/12 pitch.. going on 200 years old. I look at it now and again. There is even curves at the steeple..all slate. That must have been 30 minutes per piece.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Feathers and wedges have worked since Egyptian times and are still used today. The only real advance is that you can drill the starter oles with a hammer drill. I've seen Roger on This Old House fit steps that way.

Dan

Comment

I see vids like this, and realize how much plague has snuck in.

This past week was as simple as 5 cross sills 10 times bigger than gm put in their trucks..just to get a little more tugboat confidence out of an iron 305.

one spike at a time..and they are all different tones in the same rock.

a lot of ways to keep the battle going.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
          X