On the Local News - Alabama DMV Offices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Local News - Alabama DMV Offices

Turned on the Chattanooga news bunnies' 5:30 broadcast. Parts of northern Alabama are in their broadcast area.

They said, and I can't quickly confirm it on the internet....I hit Alabama DMV, nothing there about it....the news bunnies said that due to budget cuts, all but FOUR of the Alabama DMV offices will be closed down. Existing licenses can be renewed online, but folks needing a new license may have to drive hours to get there and then sit in line like...just imagine.

That's what the news bunnies said, told for the truth. Just imagine THAT wait. Wherever the last four offices are, (they did say there's one in Birmingham, closest to here) and you have to get there to begin your wait. Let's all move to Alabama and we'll all need a new license and....I have trouble believing that story. Told for the truth right there on TV.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

That's something I just don't get. Around here, DMV offices would have to be a huge revenue producer, yet they periodically threaten to close offices, crying poverty.

Comment

It's not on the news channel's website....I'm still having trouble believing it, I can't find it anywhere on the net. Stuff has gone off in the news bunnies' hands before, it does every day.

We don't care here at Weeville in Tennessee anyhow, but that's just about an unbelievable story. As usual it lasted about 15 seconds. They showed a video clip of a bunch of sad people sitting in chairs waiting at a DMV office.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

the wait at the DMV in florida is long enough with the many offices they have. can't imagine if they closed a bunch of them down, although , as nasty as the people at the DMV are, they deserve to lose their job.
        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Cali. DMV is so backed up you need appointments and most functions are hired out to outside businesses. Most amazing cut to me is Social Security locking up at noon every Wednesday.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
            That's something I just don't get. Around here, DMV offices would have to be a huge revenue producer, yet they periodically threaten to close offices, crying poverty.
            It's expensive to pay a minimum of five people to sit on their ass and gossip at any given time. If they could motivate a state employee to work at even the same glacial pace of the 7-11 cleavage girl, they WOULD make money.

I haven't been in the DPS here (licensing entity) since 2000 when they required an eye test. I renewed this year courtesy of USPS. I heard something about them using cell phones to let you set up an appointment window and they call you (automated) when your number comes up.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Well living here I've seen it all before, they pick something that that people are already upset at like a long wait at the DMV, having to close/consolidate some public schools, police and fire subsidizes for cities, cut back on state trooper's so that in rural areas you have to wait 1½ hrs for them to get there for a small fender bender, then comes the " well we can avoid this with a tax hike of some kind.
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

My DMV trick (or Secretary of State in MI) has been to go to the nearest small town - here it's about 20 miles NE. I can usually walk right up to the counter though sometimes I have to wait 5 or 10 minutes. It's a contracted business and folks are welcoming and as helpful as the law allows them to be. I did the same thing in Ann Arbor - it was quicker to drive to Chelsea (probably 30 miles) than to wait in the A2 office.

As far as Alabama - no tellin' how that will work out.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  My DMV trick (or Secretary of State in MI) has been to go to the nearest small town - here it's about 20 miles NE. I can usually walk right up to the counter though sometimes I have to wait 5 or 10 minutes. It's a contracted business and folks are welcoming and as helpful as the law allows them to be. I did the same thing in Ann Arbor - it was quicker to drive to Chelsea (probably 30 miles) than to wait in the A2 office.

As far as Alabama - no tellin' how that will work out.

Dan
                  I use this one often. My county one tends to be packed all the time. My other 2 choices are off in a small town, where its always empty. but the ladies that work there arent as nice. The other one is more busy (normally a 20min wait), but its quite nice and the people that work there are awesome (and half are my moms former students!).

but shitty NY makes you go to the Albany office for vintage plates- hard choice. Give the jeep vintage 88 tags? or avoid that hellhole?
                  Local person
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X