Lawn Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn Wars

The weather is beautiful after all of the rain. Low 80's instead of high 90's.

Every house around us, somebody comes racing up with a big pickup and a cage trailer with racks on the side. 20 mph zero-turn mowers and weedeaters and blowers and such.

Superman and I are the last remaining residents on our street who cut our own grass. SM does it a long time before I do, I'm thinking the longer it goes, the longer it can go before I have to do it again. When our yard's the worst one on the whole street, I'll go cut it.

It's fun watching the hired guys work. The are unsafe as hell, and they're in a hurry. They've got another dozen yards to do before the sun goes down.

Hey, I'll get it done. It might take me three days to mow it and get the clippings up and then do the weedeating.....those hired guys can do a yard our size, unload start and finish in 15 minutes.

Three days per 15 minutes. When I pay somebody to cut our grass, you'll know I'm on the downswing. I actually thought about it today, so I may be getting close.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I am lucky. The neighbor mows it for free. Since his backyard is full of garden traintracks and little towns, I let him use half of my huge backyard as a vegetable garden. He uses his well water, and once a week - I hear a peck on the back door, and find some bonus veggies from the garden, or pickled/baked whatever from his wife. Can't beat good neighbors.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

My neighbor, who unfortunately passed away several years ago would cut his grass ( house on left ) and if my grass was ready to bale he would cut across the road up to the tree line which was the corner of my yard to make it very visible to everyone riding by. We were good friends he was just messing with me. And talk about a small world, he was a retired ABC agent and I had some kinfolk over in Mississippi that use to dabble in the illegal spirit trade. We were talking one day and found out when my great uncle would haul to Mobile he used to chase him although never caught him. I miss old Wilbur he was a character, use to bring me blueberries, Kat use to make some awesome muffins with them! Oops sorry we were talking about cutting grass!
      Attached Files
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Labor in PDub time carries on!
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

A couple of years ago we hired our neighbor to mow ours ME and I both have grass allergies). It works perfectly because he's the guy who has to look at our mess if it gets out of hand. As it actually works out, he just does theirs and ours at the same time. I'll second that there's nothing like good neighbors.

Dan

Comment

Perry, you ever been to a lawnmower race? I've seen two, never been in one. Kershaw SC. The annual Watermelon Festival. I don't mean built hotrod stuff, just Craftsman 12 HP riding mowers with a string on the throttle and the muffler taken off. It's frickin hilarious. And down there you can't seem to get arrested for racing, or drunk driving, if you're about 100 yards from the highway on a goat path.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Boys and I time ourselves cutting our 3 acres with 60 trees and a few buildings to trim.

Our record is 28 minutes. We have a plan to knock another 5 minutes from that.
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                Perry, you ever been to a lawnmower race? I've seen two, never been in one. Kershaw SC. The annual Watermelon Festival. I don't mean built hotrod stuff, just Craftsman 12 HP riding mowers with a string on the throttle and the muffler taken off. It's frickin hilarious. And down there you can't seem to get arrested for racing, or drunk driving, if you're about 100 yards from the highway on a goat path.
                Lately all we have/see are like raod course but I love the lawnmower drags, hadn't seen them for awhile though.
                Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  Boys and I time ourselves cutting our 3 acres with 60 trees and a few buildings to trim.

Our record is 28 minutes. We have a plan to knock another 5 minutes from that.
                  The answer is a Hustler zero turn 25 mph 54" deck mower!

Comment

takes me about 30 minute to push mow my lawn. another 15 to weed eat and sweep up the sidewalk and drive. Its hit and miss on the neighbors lawn maintenance on my road. Some wait till the city sends a letter. others mow 2-3 times a week. Mine isnt the best, but FAR from the worse.
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

the lady next door told me "I've never seen anybody mow with a beer and a cigarette before"

I make a real chore out of it and drag it out as long as possible for all of those folks who ruin my weekday mornings with their lawn service. I'm up anyway, but I'm sick of hearing leaf blowers at 7 a.m. every morning. The guys behind me who hold band practice until 10:00 p.m. generally set my start time. Whenever their pool party company arrives, on the weekend, I get started. It should take 30 minutes to weedeat and mow, but I savor every minute and can stretch that noise and dust out for 3 hours at least. More, if one of my ancient pieces of lawn equipment decides it wants attention.

It seems like location X gets mowed 2x a year whether it needs it or not. 60" brush hog, hope nobody left any toys out.

Last edited by Beagle; August 26, 2015, 06:55 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Our location X's have something in common. I figure that's why God created 2-4-D.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                        X