Weeville Home Base Needs a Roof - BSers' Experience Would Be Appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeville Home Base Needs a Roof - BSers' Experience Would Be Appreciated

Wow has this ever been the year for capital expenditure - new carpet, new fridge, new hearing aids. Big hits. It happens. Home ownership and things wear out.

Today Unit went into the little flower garden place between the front porch and the sidewalk leading to the front door. There was a whole shingle mashing down one of her plants. That thing had nail holes in it, it came off whole, and there's been no wind since yesterday.

So we walked out in the street. The roof's a slightly developing mess, upon observation, it's falling apart. Parts of it, the shingles, look like a Tetris game. The house was built in 1987. The roof needs replacing. welcome to it.

I'd like a metal roof, one that will get us out of here (like, outlive us). But we went on a neighborhood tour this afternoon and saw the only metal roof in the neighborhood, and it's ugly. The pattern....it's not attractive, less than attractive.

What's the take on a metal roof (which I without evidence think I want) and shingles (which Unit is totally inclined to have done)?
    Last edited by pdub; August 27, 2015, 03:35 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Assphalt shingles .. General rule o thumb..20 years.
    Cedar shakes Supposedly longer but extremely flameable
    Metal rooves. (roofs?) supposedly last the sme as assphalt.. But are noisy in rain..

Comment

I'll let the real expert chime in and tell you not to read my other post...

Comment

Metal roofs similar to what you'll see in Colorado, etc., are made to shed snow easily. They cost major coin. Stick with asphalt shingles. ALSO, your insurance company may have something to say about it, so check with your agent.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          I'll let the real expert chime in and tell you not to read my other post...
          My sister has a log cabin on Lake Greenwood in South Carolina. Metal roof. Rain, noise. You wanna talk about some good sleeping? Man oh man. I think that's what's got me thinking metal.

Comment

There's been a lot of advancement in metal roof technology since the days when they were mostly used to re-cover drive-in sheds and old barns. Especially in the appearance department. And the modern ones will last longer than the building underneath them, are totally fireproof, shed snow and rain like nobody's business, and are (mostly) impervious to environmental deterioration.

But they're a major wack in the pocket book. I'm going to be doing a roof within 2 years but only plan to be in the house for about 15 years after that before doing the golden years downsizing deal. Accordingly, can't justify the expense. But if you plan to be in the same place for the next 20-25 years PeeWee, maybe the business case makes sense for you and Unit.
            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Assphalt shingles .. General rule o thumb..20 years.
              Cedar shakes Supposedly longer but extremely flameable
              Metal rooves. (roofs?) supposedly last the sme as assphalt.. But are noisy in rain..
              architectual asphalt can go even further.
              I used to roof... much more than one roof. metal is good for a barn, and you'll still get annoyed at the crackles and noise of sun and cloud changing temps.

ridge vents are worthless, hope you have a hot cap and peak vents only.

the hottest shingles almost look white/grey pebbles...team that with architectual design. Good as it gets.

the goal is hot as you can make them.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

ridge vents are worthless, hope you have a hot cap and peak vents only.

Barry, we have the cap on top of the peak. It goes 7/8 of the way across the apex of the highest part of the roof. Is that what you're talking about?

Comment

they are pretty much required down here in the hot and humid south... or a shit ton of turbines. Your house is pretty new, and probably very insulated. it will sweat without ventilation - NOT good.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

A lot of guys building houses at the mill about ten years ago , metal roof's were the rage and everybody was installing them. I thought they all still loved them but found out the other day that just about all of them now hated them and wish they had gone asphalt. My house and shop are shingled. As mentioned attic ventilation is the key.
                    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

WOW....attic ventilation. That's why I polled the troops here. Okay. Thanks so MUCH guys.

Comment

Asphalt shingles ... not much you can do but put them on and stay off of them (and keep trees trimmed so they don't rub). They last 20 ish years.

Metal roofs probably last longer, if you pay for the better stuff. The cheaper stuff you can buy at Lowe's Depot; the kind that you install with a bunch of screws with rubber washers - the rubber goes away after about 20 years, so someone is going to have to go up on the roof and replace a thousand and six screws. <- probably cheaper than doing a whole new roof. Then paint it with that silver roof paint every 5 - 10 years thereafter.

Some houses simply look stupid with the cheap silver metal roofs. There's one about a mile from my house - it's a smallish house with a low pitch roof (no snow here in FL) , and something about it just looks terribly bad. It looks cheap and out of place in the neighborhood.

Whichever you decide, get at least 3 quotes. Some say "code is code", but if one roofer is a lot cheaper than the others, I have to wonder why. If one is a lot more expensive than the others - again, I have to wonder why.

Comment

I don't know if pdub gets hail but down here the 30 year warranty asphalt (Timberline) kind last about 5 years or so... just like the 20 year. Metal roof looks like a golf ball in that same period. It's illegal to use untreated cedar shake, and still dangerous to use "treated" no matter how pretty they are.

Bonded would be my advice, and check with the BBB. Call your insurance agent first. Chances are you have wind or hail damage. Seriously.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Peewee, we're in the same situation. Luckily, one of my buddies here is an excellent roofer. Right now metal roof manufacturers are pushing their product and therefore have discounted it significantly. So here's the current deal - metal (40 year guarantee) and architectural asphalt (30 year guarantee) are almost exactly the same price. The newer thinking is to retain the underlying asphalt shingles when applying the metal as 1) it keeps the noise down and 2) it helps seal the fasteners.

Our bid is about $285/square (a square is 100 sq. ft.). We have a 12/12 pitch roof (pretty steep) which bumps the labor up a bit. The company our friend is with are well established and I KNOW he'll do an excellent job. Right now we're just deciding the best place to get the $$ - most Stop and Robs don't have that much in the register. Remember to ask the roofer if their bid will include reinstalling your gutters and down spouts and that sort of thing - you want a COMPLETE job and some may try to cut corners in places like that.

Ask around and see if someone you know with metal roofing on a similar house to yours will let you listen in a rain storm. A house in our sub is getting one right now and I expect we'll impose and see how it sounds if they'll let us. The metal roof in the shop just has a thin layer of insulation under the tin and it really isn't TOO bad.

Dan

Comment

The gentleman I talked to, who specializes in metal roofing, warns that the warranty is not quite what it seems to be. The 40 year warranty on a metal roof is twenty years on the paint and twenty years on the metal, so you essentially are getting a 20 year warranty. With shingles, be sure to look at how your warranty is prorated to know what it is you are actually getting,was his advice to me. There is quite a difference between the warranty on three tab shingles and architectural shingles. I am getting schooled from many directions, not the least of which is you guys. Thanks and I will keep checking for more input. I checked the guys license and the BBB. He has an A+ rating and 0 customer complaints. Has done other roofs in this subdivision and he will be providing us with the references. He will do whatever roof we choose.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X