Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needing to replace a 4L60E. Opinions wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing to replace a 4L60E. Opinions wanted.

At just over 87K miles, the 4L60E in my 07 Trailblazer daily driver is in need to replacing or rebuilding. Stock the transmission was marginal at best behind the 4.2L I-6 in my opinion and with the amount of towing I've done has accelerated the need for transmission work. I know that many of you here are not fans of the GMT360 platform, I will say that the later examples had some refinements that the earlier ones lacked. Mine's quiet, comfortable, easy to manage in traffic and returns decent fuel economy for a full framed 4x4 that weighs 4500 lbs.

Anyhow, top on my list is a Gearstar Level 2 that should offer durability increases sufficient for my stock tuned engine (for now) and a performance tune (someday) With a mild lift to offer better ground clearance with bigger tires in the future. I'm going to call Gearstar this week and see what they recommend, and what will need done about my Atlas family bellhousing.

For now, I'm daily driving my Olds wagon, just glad I never need to parallel park!
    Last edited by Stewzer55; August 30, 2015, 07:32 PM.
    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

I've tried the lift with the trailblazers, did not like it. I put the 2" suspension lift on it. It kept pulling the cv shaft seals out and it would make a vibration going over hills fast. If you look at you upper ball joint, you will see how it sticks out over the tire. You can't get away from that with a body or suspension lift. You'll have to put wheel extenders on the extend 2" outward from the rotor. The lift won't give you anymore ground clearence either. In my opinion, a stock 4L60E with just some small upgrades is all you need for a 4.2. Just don't pull in overdrive and and put a aux cooler on it and you will be fine. The 4.2 transmissions weakness are in there torqe converters, not necessarally the transmission.

Comment

harden the tires with LT if you are not there. Huge load off everything, including frame creakin.

those are popular here, the I-6 included. Never seen a lift kit.

I'd change sidewall height if it meant finding a smaller wheel, go LT rated.

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

If you still want a lift kit I have one and live on the Indiana/Ohio border line if you are interested, but again I wouldn't recommend.

Comment

At about 130K my 4L60E called it quits all of a sudden while turning around in my driveway. No warning such as slipping or banging gears, nothing at all, just up and died. All the shops by me use Jasper transmissions, no one rebuilds them. It came with a 3 year, 100K warranty. If shop uses them, my advice is to run! I spent $600 on rental cars on the first trans. I'm on my 3rd one in a little over a year.

I'm assuming you don't tow in OD, I don't. But then again the 4.2 doesn't have enough torque to pull anything in OD so that's a mute point. I just picked up 4000 pounds of pellets on my car trailer that weighs 1500 pounds, right at the limit of my Trailblazer's 5500, 3.73 gears. It did not like the hill near my house.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Stewzer - Wish you lived closer. We have a GREAT trans guy here in town and he fixed up my MOPAR auto (it's 727 based) behind the Cummins and it's FLAWLESS. He knows all the tricks to toughen them up and make them live. Gearstar may have a similar bag of tricks but I have no personal experience with them.

Dan

Comment

I live in the Dayton Area, close to Springfield, OH. Within an hour I'm in Richmond, IN. I won't get a Jasper reman trans, Any opinions on an ETC Reman? Gearstar has a great warranty that doesn't require a certified shop to install. LT tires are on my list, the P-metrics on there now haven't been great and are awful in the wet, and under about 45*F, I spend a lot of the winter in A4WD or 4Hi due to crappy tires. GVW of my trailer is only 2900lbs but I still pull it in 3rd due to wind drag. I wouldn't mind finding a local rebuilder either.
              Stew K.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewzer55 View Post
                I live in the Dayton Area, close to Springfield, OH. Within an hour I'm in Richmond, IN. I won't get a Jasper reman trans, Any opinions on an ETC Reman? Gearstar has a great warranty that doesn't require a certified shop to install. LT tires are on my list, the P-metrics on there now haven't been great and are awful in the wet, and under about 45*F, I spend a lot of the winter in A4WD or 4Hi due to crappy tires. GVW of my trailer is only 2900lbs but I still pull it in 3rd due to wind drag. I wouldn't mind finding a local rebuilder either.

I'll look tomorrow in my customer guide and find you a rebuilder in the Dayton/Springfield area. I live 45 mins away north of Richmond. 'Im on the Fort Recovery line.
                Gearstar hasn't ordered from us for a while so I'm not sure of there work but guessing their a good shop.
                Last edited by chevybuytroy; August 31, 2015, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Wow there aren't many rebuilders around you...Just check my customer list and all I have around is an Aamco in Springfield. They order from me once in a while so they must do some rebuilding.

Comment

Do you rebuild?
                    Stew K.

Comment

Yea I do as a side job. I can do it but it might take me up to 3 weekends to do it. Most of the work I do gets done on Fri evenings and Saturdays. A 4L60e, I can do for $800 if you pull the tranny, $1400 if I pull the tranny. If you pull it I could get it done in a week. Theres a "half rebuild" I did on a trailblazer in 5,000 project listing I did also.

Comment

I got a local recommendation and talked to a guy just now, have to call again tomorrow because it was his brother. You're more than likely outside of my AAA tow limits.
                        Stew K.

Comment

Working...
                        X