The Wrong Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wrong Number

Many many years ago, in South Carolina, our home phone number was one digit different from Ned's Auto Parts. There was this one guy who kept calling. Easy to tell from his voice he was an older guy, slightly addled. Poor fella, but he kept calling, he wouldn't stop.

I finally figured it out....dude would not even hang up when I said he had the wrong number. I asked who he thought he was calling, he said, "This IS Ned's Auto Parts, right? Nossir, you have the wrong number. And I hung up on HIM.

A few days later he called again. He'd called over a half dozen times on different occasions. There he is again, "Is Ned there?" Nossir he's not. "What about Bill or one of them other fellers?" No sir, they all went out to lunch."

"Who IS this?" This is Rusty. "I don't believe I KNOW you." Well, they only hired me last week. What can I do to help you?

"Well, I'm looking for (a fuel pump for a particular year/model/engine dump truck)." I said hold on a moment....I rattled some papers around on the little table that the phone was sitting on in the kitchen....Yes, Sir, we have a brand new one in stock.

"How much y'all want fer it?" I said 14 dollars and 12 cents.

A pretty long silence on his end....."Hot DANG, I'm coming to GIT it." I'll have it sitting on the counter for you.

He never called our number again.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Had the same problem years ago..... my number was one off from the local grade school. I had parents just insist that I was wrong, and to let them speak to such and such teacher, etc. Turned out the phone company had made a printing error, and put my number down in both places.... Took two years for them to fix it.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

That could only happen to you Pdub, and you handled it in Pdub fashion, funny story.
      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Working...
      X