Corvair War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvair War

Its funny that this is going on, since I spent last weekend helping a friend get his Ultra Van ready for burning man. What's an Ultra Van? It's a 22ft Long RV Powered by a Corvair Engine! Sounds like the king of bad ideas to you too? How about when you realize the company that built them not only used heim joints all over the steering gear, They made the upper A arms out of turnbuckles and Lower control arms were an aluminum casting. The entire thing is an aluminum tube with a GIGANTIC fiberglass nose and fiberglass ass. They come in at like 3600lbs and actually.

BTW, the trouble was caused by a 270 degree duration cam, on bone stock compression and a bone stock torque converter in a bone stock power glide. Wouldn't idle below about 1100rpm, couldn't get the carbs off the transfer port, the usual crap. Holes drilled in carb butterflies, spark curve adjusted (using an off the shelf HEI kit in the old point ignition distributor) and back destroyed. As far as I know he made it to burning man... either that or he's dead out in the desert somewhere!

I wish I had more photos, between him and his dad he actually owns 4 of these things! 2 that work, 2 for parts. Along with a corvair, corvair wagon, two corvair vans, and a corvair boat. The Boat is as crazy as the RV if only because the engine is flipped on it's nose, converted to dry sump oiling and bolted directly to the back wall of the boat!

They Manage about 60mph on a good day. The accerlation is pretty good up to about 40mph and then the wind catches up with the contraption in a hurry. Going down hill with the throttle stuck wide open they do 70! Jay's dad, is a jokester, and Jay's Ultra Van has a 160mph speedo in it. Good one dad!

The one my buddy drove, he was likely concieved in it. It was sold off by his parents, and then he happened to find the exact same Ultra Van 30 years later! Now he, for what ever reason, decided that driving a nearly 50 year old RV home 1200 miles through mountains was no big deal.... That story is on barn finds.

Last edited by Polyhead; September 2, 2015, 04:50 AM.

Yesterday my neighbors wife came over and said,.. 'Jim's gettin a 60-something Corvair, come over and see it.'
    I like Corvairs, they're essentially America's Volkswagen, minus the flammable engine case and oil leaks of course..

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
      Yesterday my neighbors wife came over and said,.. 'Jim's gettin a 60-something Corvair, come over and see it.'
      I like Corvairs, they're essentially America's Volkswagen, minus the flammable engine case and oil leaks of course..

Minus the leaks you say.... someone needs to tell that to ultra van 307!

I have to say, I'm not a GM person AT ALL. I look at the engineering on them and turn my nose up. But the corvair is different. I look inside of those and think "wow that's actually really well done!" It's no wonder other GM people tend to truly hate them! GM finally builds a decent car and nearly everyone seems to turn their nose up at them. I'll never understand GM fans. Corvette guys especially dislike them... mostly because they know, that little corvair is capable of carving up their V8 powered penis enhancer.

Comment

A properly built Corvair motor doesn't leak oil, the same goes for a VW motor.
        I've seen Corvair motors used in small airplanes, they're pretty stout little motors..

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
          A properly built Corvair motor doesn't leak oil, the same goes for a VW motor.
          I've seen Corvair motors used in small airplanes, they're pretty stout little motors..

Properly built you say....yeah.... yeah we don't have that either.

Comment

Damn youngsters! Don't know a PROPER Corvair. June '72 Car Craft cover car. And yes it has an F word in it's name. I present FUBAR 2:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4194457898_35d2355604_z.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1054838
            Click image for larger version

Name:	4193700737_9ab621a137.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1054839
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Awesomeness !!!

Comment

the 140 hp with "big block valves"...
                I then thought that boxer must reverb like a basturd at the carbs. Sure enough, later in the article, he spoke of breaking butterfly screws.

great candidate for one (or 2) of those mid 90s rochester TBI, get the old fuel pump design away from the block...increase to an electric 15-30psi. Cold shot some high pressure, gain a little more draft.

the boxer has no down and out, a human has to make it happen. I'd have a blast with it, those interior photos are inspiring.
                Anything but a subaru engine swap...
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Cool old motorhome..
                  Probably does not have much by way of holding tanks...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Cool old motorhome..
                    Probably does not have much by way of holding tanks...
                    About 50 gallons in each tank. Big fiberglass squares that the floor actually lays on to of. There is no frame to take up space on that thing so lots of room actually.

Comment

I was thinking more from weight standpoint than room.. One gallon weighs about 8 lbs.. Be 400#.. as one empties, the other fills..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        I was thinking more from weight standpoint than room.. One gallon weighs about 8 lbs.. Be 400#.. as one empties, the other fills..

true, but again, these things are very light. If you strip all the fixtures out they actually weigh less than the car! All of the windows are lexan, and just a thin aluminum skin, no frame, just some very thin aluminum spars. It's built like an aircraft and weighs like one.

Comment

Originally posted by Polyhead View Post

Minus the leaks you say.... someone needs to tell that to ultra van 307!

Corvette guys especially dislike them... mostly because they know, that little corvair is capable of carving up their V8 powered penis enhancer.
                          I have a corvette . I simply bought it because what i got out of my L98 GTA trans am would by it . Even money after I bought the t/a back . It was the fastest way around curves for $2750 . Haven't noticed any growth ...... I love corvairs , and latter fieros .
                          Last edited by Dan Barlow; September 3, 2015, 07:05 AM.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                            I have a corvette . I love corvairs .
                            Me too ... I had a '64 Monza convertible and my Mom had a '66 Monza coupe. Always wanted a Corsa !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Polyhead View Post

. Corvette guys especially dislike them...
                              Frame it, print it.

I love it when people who are pricks make it clear they are pricks. Saves so much wasted time giving them the benefit of the doubt only to realize they're utterly a waste of time.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 3, 2015, 10:17 AM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X