BTW, I'm Also an Electrician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW, I'm Also an Electrician

Kitchen light fixture. It's a 48-inch four bulb florescent. It's a turd, as old as the house. Eats bulbs and goes out as fast as you can feed it bulbs. Unit got us a new fixture, something artsy, new technology.

Hire somebody to put it in. He couldn't come yesterday, so it'll be another week before he can do it. I'm on sick meds. I'm thinking, I've installed a whole lot of ceiling fans, that's basic and easy. Why can't I do this fixture? It's the same thing. What I forgot is I can't hardly do any work over my head anymore, can't hold any weight for any amount of time.

I got the bulbs out of it, cussing at the bulbs, I HATE those bulbs. Unscrewed all four of the screws that held the fixture to the ceiling. I was sweating bricks unscrewing the last one....nothing happened. The thing was still attached. I shook it....there's no telling what's holding this thing to the ceiling.

Unit's sitting over at the kitchen table watching. She says, "There's probably some more screws holding it under the ballast cover." Okay, so I go out to the Official Tool Box and get the Approved Channel Locks and get back up on the ladder and squeezed the ballast cover and removed it. Nothing there. No more screws.

Right about then, me on the ladder, holding the Approved Channel Locks and the 48-inch ballast cover, that whole fixture fell to the floor. WHAM! Some part of it hit me on the forehead on its way down, I'll have a lump for sure. But it's un-installed by golly. There it is, out by the street like we meant to do it.
    Last edited by pdub; September 4, 2015, 07:13 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Paint. It was stuck on years worth of paint.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Hell yeah, that's how I stick light fixtures up there... Smack 'em on the end with a 2x4 when you want them back down. Leave the wires on so it doesn't hit the floor.

Later this weekend I will be standing in front of an electrical box that has it's main feeds going into a breaker (panel in-turn feeds from that), and I need that position for something else, so those nice big thick hot wires need to be pulled out of the breaker and screwed into the panel terminals up-top. Think I should call somebody?

Comment

All fluorescent light fixtures have small gauge wires that don't always make good contact when attached to the incoming house wire that is going to be 14 or 12 gauge. I can't tell you how many of these I've seen with marginal attention to the wire-to-wire contact, just as long as the wire nuts were on it was good. Folks have the same complaint you do/did and want a replacement fixture. I've replaced every original light fixture in my garage & shed with something that was being tossed out as no good. As in car mechanics, you have to know what the problem is and fix it. As a result I have at least a dozen 4 foot fluorescent fixtures that only cost me the time to troubleshoot the problem. It's not magic or rocket science, just electricity. And fwiw, I HATE plumbing.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
          Later this weekend I will be standing in front of an electrical box that has it's main feeds going into a breaker (panel in-turn feeds from that), and I need that position for something else, so those nice big thick hot wires need to be pulled out of the breaker and screwed into the panel terminals up-top.
          Just yank the meter, work away. Deny everything if questioned about the missing seal, and mention Peewee's rampant neighborhood rug-rats with a strong tone of Grumpy Old Man thrown in.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Just yank the meter, work away. Deny everything if questioned about the missing seal, and mention Peewee's rampant neighborhood rug-rats with a strong tone of Grumpy Old Man thrown in.

What do those kids have to do with it? They've never fixed a danged thing, and probably never will.

Comment

PW, i just had to fix the toilet, I rather mess with electrical.
              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                PW, i just had to fix the toilet, I rather mess with electrical.
                I'd rather do the toilet, and I've done a few. The toilet won't shock the bejeezus out of you or cause a fire if you touch the wrong thing and it's also not overhead. Electricity will mess you UP and it's invisible.

Comment

toilets are usually in a place a 6'4" frame doesnt fit.
                  Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

hey PW hope you got the led version. no regrets.
                    1 buck for every 6 months of non stop use.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The scene of the incident. The new more-better fixture is a whole lot smaller. Look how nice this setup is - when the fixture fell, it pulled all the wires and connectors off and there it sits. There's the box in the roof saying, "Connect me."

Who's gonna fix all of those holes in the ceiling and then PAINT it? Gravity did the un-install, with only minor injury. It's just another thing, like doing one small thing to a car. Yeah, like deer meat, it gets bigger as you chew it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling Hole.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1055468

Comment

Time to learn how to apply drywall mud and sand with a pole attached to the sanding block. Easy Peasy....
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

You call yourself a REDNECK?
                          DUCT TAPE!

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                            toilets are usually in a place a 6'4" frame doesnt fit.
                            I can definitely relate to that as i too resemble that remark!
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                              Time to learn how to apply drywall mud and sand with a pole attached to the sanding block. Easy Peasy....
                              but the junction box isn't centered in the ceiling!
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X