ratcheting column shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ratcheting column shifter

Ok here's an idea I have that may be stupid,insane or both.Has anyone ever marketed,or is there a way to have stops at each gear with a column shifter?Like a ratchet shifter?This isn't really a tech question,I don't think! It's an idea involving my '69 Charger,which,oviously has a column automatic,behind a 383 Mag with headers,DP4B,780 Holley.It's got buckets ( 6 way drivers seat) with the buddy seat in the middle.I like the configuration,so a floor shifter of any type isn't an option.I seem to think that a ratcheting device could be attached at the tranny,prehaps via a pan bolt bracket like an aftermarket cable shifter uses?I have this idea in my head of a column stalk that can be banged like a slap stik.Let me know what you guys (and gals) think (besides that's I'm being a moron.)

Re: ratcheting column shifter

Why not go with a retrotek smartshift and the paddles or modify the column shift with a couple of micro switches

Comment

Scavo's 65 had it several years ago. A buddy of mine wants to do it but hasn't. I think the way to do it is to use the ratchet mechanism from an after market shifter on the bottom of the column where it attaches to the shift linkage.

Comment

Two Words - push buttons! THAT would be cool!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          Two Words - push buttons! THAT would be cool!

Dan
          Like this

This is next on the list for my 55 starchief to get around the linkage problem of putting a newer trans in an older car. I wont be going with the paddles just the push buttons

Comment

Originally posted by btp76
            Scavo's 65 had it several years ago. A buddy of mine wants to do it but hasn't. I think the way to do it is to use the ratchet mechanism from an after market shifter on the bottom of the column where it attaches to the shift linkage.
            I appreciate the ideas guys.I think this is basically the kind thing I was thinking.Of course the car's all put away in storage,so I can't readily check for clearance issues with the headers,power steering,etc.Most likely I'll never go through with it,but it keeps nagging at me.And now that I hear Nick Scavo had it on his car,I really want to try it!I think there's an old Mr Gasket ratchet upstairs in my barn....

Comment

Dick Landy used to modify Mopar columns to be ratchet style, but they had to be reverse-pattern valvebodies to do it. If I run into Robert Landy I'll ask him how they did it.

Comment

Working...
              X