Muffler choice. What's yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler choice. What's yours?

I am contemplating mufflers for the necessary exhaust replacement on my '67 GMC. First, I will not ever buy Flowmasters. Personally, cannot stand how they sound or the resonance they create. But, I am probably in the minority as so many have been sold.

The truck currently has really long glass packs on 2.5" pipes. They are the quietest glasspacks I have ever seen, though the old engine has the worlds smallest camshaft.

I have been thinking about getting straight through design like Magnaflows or Dynomax Ultras. I have heard friends cars with them and they are pretty tame at idle and under cruise, but get pretty noisy when you hammer it.

My current fleet, the 65 Impala has very old Flowtech Terminators, which I still like and get a lot of compliments on. The Caprice has long Summit turbo mufflers, for quieter driving. There are several videos of each running on my Youtube page. https://www.youtube.com/user/papioscott/videos

I am curious to what other people are running and how you like what you have for exhaust. Would you change it to something else?

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Thrush welded mufflers sound pretty good on a daily driver. They're not to loud and obnoxious, and not to quiet. Cheap too..

Comment

I don't know what they are, but the mufflers the muffler shop put on my Suburban are nice.

I got some $32 Walker replacement mufflers for a 80s Ford van, to put on my Chevy II, and it's too quiet now. The folks behind me will like it.

I have flowmasters on a couple others, I won't recommend them...although at the time (1990s) they were kind of the only 3" muffler you could buy.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

for the carb engines, you are right on already. find a straight through without the fibers.
        My last muffler for a carb engine was an insynerator bullit.

for the obd2 stuff, that is where the modern fancy names do wonders, they got big air at every rpm.
        I like my v8 whispering like an escalade..totally factory 3 foot long bus muffler.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My favorite are the 2 1/2 inch Flowmasters that are the original ones. I think they are 40s or 44. Leaning more towards 44. Someone here can straighten me out. They vette is running 2 original little cats by the headers then pipe al the way to the bumper. Sounds pretty good and not too loud . Till you floor it . Then it will scare who ever you are passing. Or they will think you were ticked .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'm running a cheap set of flowtech red hots directly off the headers on my bird. I wasn't wild about dropping down from 3.5 to 2.5 but I had to do something. Temporary fix.

Comment

I put Magnaflows on Red, per Superman's recommendation. They flow well and they don't drone. They don't bother me or the neighbors (why do I even care about that, said Superman), but they talk when spoken to. When I was a lot younger, I would have sure gone with loud, but not now. Plus, I saw no need to put an exhaust system on Red trying to make him sound like something he's not - he's stock.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Cherry Bombs, or Smitty's. You can go to youtube.com and query 'glass pack muffler sounds' and get a few ideas.........
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

In a perfect world I'd be running flowmaster 40s with pipes all the way back and a set of electronic cut-outs. I don't like being restricted when it's time to play and I like the sound of the 40 series.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE the Dynomax Ultra Flo muffs on my Road Runner.

LOVE 'em

Yep

They are amazing.
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I dunno...I can't tell most mufflers apart by sound. And pretty much over a really noisy cabin in my vehicles; accordingly, today I'm a fan of sound-proofing and and full-length tail pipes (put the sound out back for others to enjoy!).
                      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Took the bird for a dance with the devil today and thought I had a major catastrophe jumping off, turns out my engine just decided to spit out some header bolts. I told you my shit doesn't like to be restricted.

Comment

My exhaust fell off a little while ago, so open headers for me! Gotta love bathing in carbon monoxide every time I go somewhere.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                            My exhaust fell off a little while ago, so open headers for me! Gotta love bathing in carbon monoxide every time I go somewhere.
                            When I had my old 69 I had a race set up and decided to purge my nitrous through the motor as we were heading to the spot.... blew both the flowmasters off at the same time.

Comment

It wasn't a backfire that blew them off, they couldn't handle the pressure when I hit the button.

Comment

Working...
                              X