No announcement yet.

Muffler choice. What's yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say the Flowmasters are too load. I'm a big fan of the Dynamax. Like mentioned above, not too load at idle, but nice sound at full throttle.
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Straight pipes FTW

Comment

I have a full Edelbrock system on the 'Stang and it sounds great. I don't know know who makes the mufflers but they might be Dynomax (guessing Edelbrock didn't make their own). No drone at highway speeds and a nice idle.

Dan

Comment

I have Pypes M-80's on the Mustang...I like the sound...

I have a Magnaflow on the wifes truck....it makes a good note at WOT but is pretty tame at idle

I have 2.5 Flowmaster Super 40's on the Plymouth...great sound at idle and WOT....no drone on mine with a H pipe and tubes run all the way out the back and turn down at the bumper

I've got a Flowmaster of unknown make on the black truck....its okay....don't love it...don't hate it...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

On my daily driver 84 C10, I have a Walker 18 series - probably like the ones Jim put in his Nova that are too quiet. I like it on the DD. Quiet, but it still has a tone. If I go to dual exhaust after swapping the 305 for a 350, I'll use two of them. But then, I tow my work trailer in neighborhoods where some people wouldn't appreciate a loud vehicle, and when your company name is on the trailer, any bad opinions could lead to loss of income.

If I were to buy new mufflers for the Chevelle, I'd probably go with the Pypes race pros or the Dynomax Ultra's - I've had turbo's long enough, ready for something different - and like you, I'm not a fan of the Flomaster sound and risk of resonance.

Comment

the type of muffler depends on the vehicle, I like chambered exhaust because they last longer - but on the FJ40 I went with cats and a larger turbo-style muffler good flow, but pretty quiet... not quiet, not chambered - cherry bombs, they get louder as they age.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Dynomax super turbos are a really good call between price and sound...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  the type of muffler depends on the vehicle, I like chambered exhaust because they last longer - but on the FJ40 I went with cats and a larger turbo-style muffler good flow, but pretty quiet... not quiet, not chambered - cherry bombs, they get louder as they age.
                  My chambered Terminators are near 20 years old and on my second car.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                    I dunno...I can't tell most mufflers apart by sound. And pretty much over a really noisy cabin in my vehicles; accordingly, today I'm a fan of sound-proofing and and full-length tail pipes (put the sound out back for others to enjoy!).
                    I thought I was super quiet, until opening those two little xtra cab windows.
                    Even full exhaust.. you know it is not a wimpy normal coming your way.

that does lead to trouble sometimes, not really knowing what ya got.
                    I vribrated some mobile homes once, with headers on a g-body, backyard engine. Compression actually hurt to hear and feel. Embarrassing.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Jones Max Flow. Just like Magnaflow, but much cheaper.
                      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

somebody has to say it (Bob Holmes)

Turbochargers make good mufflers.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

i couldnt stand my flowmaster 44s. too loud and i hated the drone. i've got 2 long cherry bombs and 2 summit directional bullets, h-pipe, and ran the exhaust all the way out the back. its only loud when i get on it. i did think about trying coffin mufflers. anybody running them?

Comment

DynoMax Super Turbo.

I get lots of compliments on the sound, which probably has just as much to do with the headers, mandrel bent exhaust and outlet angle.

Comment

Years back I bought some cheap Summit mufflers. I wasn't expecting too much.They were ridiculously. They were really, really nicely made mufflers that sounded great. I was very impressed. But that was a long time ago. Now, Dynomax. Quiet enough so you won't piss off odd neighbors but have a nice growl when you get on it.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X