Urban Myths & Legends - Muscle Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Myths & Legends - Muscle Cars

There was supposedly a really good looking blond, who cruised Sunrise Highway in Nassau County, Long Island late at night, that drove a pink 1967 427 Corvette with a small baby spoon attached to the drivers side door handle with the following painted in small letters under the handle, "If you can beat me you can eat me."

I used to go to the Bellmore Train Station, on Sunrise Highway. on Friday nights to show my 1963 F.I. Corvette Convertible. So I would ask people had they ever heard of this Urban Legend. Surprisingly about a dozen people said they had, but no one had ever seen the car nor did they know anyone that did. I knew Joel Rosen from Motion Performance. He had done some work on the Corvette for me and on a 1969 SS 396 Camaro I had owned. I asked him about the legend - he laughed and claimed it was nothing more than a myth - never happened, but he had heard it from others countless times.

I do not know of old ones.
    Trucks seem to have a modern book getting unwritten.

I remember hearing a v8 diesel, big turbo.. center street bangor maine. A redlight about 100 yards from my building, it was taking off from there. My second story pig sty had one thing going for it.. I could see the whole length all the way to st. josephs hospital. Only made the witnessing more dramatic. Snowing, roads empty. Cold. Made the compression sounds even bigger between the buildings. I no sooner thought it was going so fast I could hear wind... the way the low rpms just dig in one gear after another, big blow off inbetween...

I look out to two stacks climbing center street at least 70 freakin mph....in about 100 yards from where it took off from...

with the big plow up front.
    I stood there stunned. as if not to believe it. Being I was up so high, I could see the cold contrails coming from both stacks smacking off the leafless trees.
    Nothing in american history has done that.. until the duramax and powerstroke.
    incredible.

ya know, I am into the legends I guess. Worked with many machines, got bored. Gathering all the facts..legends have to exist.
    I think I bought one, first of the vortec.
    5 speed tall gears... and gobbles up every one of them to 140 mph.
    hearing LT tread dig in, the growl of an airflow no smallblock ever had...

when was that ever available in the past. although going on 20 years old.. people still don't know it exists.

I love the larson story, long overdue.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 8, 2015, 08:27 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I heard a legend that a 70' Monte LS6 existed.
      Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
        I heard a legend that a 70' Monte LS6 existed.
        There is one - it was built by Dick Harrell for a customer:

Chevrolet never built any.

Comment

Myth: Don Yenko ordered one 1969 COPO Chevelle Convertible. - Nope - just a myth. ALL 1969 COPO cars (camaros and chevelles) were hadrtops

Comment

Urban myth from the Detroit area:

There was a '69 Chevelle that was scary fast. On the trunk was a large cartoon of a rat and the lettering "Magic Rat" as in "the Magic Rat drove his sleek machine over the Jersey state line". The frame was so wasted that it would launch with the RF wheel about a foot off the ground and the LF sitting on the tarmac - and he'd still kick your butt.

That one was real - I saw the car on Telegraph Rd. at the White Castle and saw it run in anger. I often wondered if he ever replaced the frame and maybe did some suspension work.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stewart View Post
              There was supposedly a really good looking blond, who cruised Sunrise Highway in Nassau County, Long Island late at night, that drove a pink 1967 427 Corvette with a small baby spoon attached to the drivers side door handle with the following painted in small letters under the handle, "If you can beat me you can eat me."

I used to go to the Bellmore Train Station, on Sunrise Highway. on Friday nights to show my 1963 F.I. Corvette Convertible. So I would ask people had they ever heard of this Urban Legend. Surprisingly about a dozen people said they had, but no one had ever seen the car nor did they know anyone that did. I knew Joel Rosen from Motion Performance. He had done some work on the Corvette for me and on a 1969 SS 396 Camaro I had owned. I asked him about the legend - he laughed and claimed it was nothing more than a myth - never happened, but he had heard it from others countless times.

They way I heard it, that was something Shirley Muldowney used to say.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post

They way I heard it, that was something Shirley Muldowney used to say.
                Why wouldn't that be a man's line to shoot? Heck, I'd put it in first gear and back off the throttle and watch her drive away...
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Urban myth from the Detroit area:

There was a '69 Chevelle that was scary fast. On the trunk was a large cartoon of a rat and the lettering "Magic Rat" as in "the Magic Rat drove his sleek machine over the Jersey state line". The frame was so wasted that it would launch with the RF wheel about a foot off the ground and the LF sitting on the tarmac - and he'd still kick your butt.

That one was real - I saw the car on Telegraph Rd. at the White Castle and saw it run in anger. I often wondered if he ever replaced the frame and maybe did some suspension work.

Dan
                  There used to be an old station wagon out there that hurt more than a few feelings, i don't know what he had in that thing but it was far from a joke.

Comment

Working...
                  X