Stiney & Loren (and everyone else, of course) step on in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiney & Loren (and everyone else, of course) step on in

And let's talk about building a razor-type vehicle by narrowing a shortening a MB. I'm thinking full independent suspension and maybe a honda motor turned sideways.... of course, I could use a Sami body too, but to see the expressions on the Heep guys would make this abortion priceless (and a whole lot of fun).

thoughts? the dimensions will be no more than 79" wheel base and 51" track width.... thinking a nice, compliant suspension and the one thing that, at 15 large, you don't get with the RZR.... a VIN and the ability to license it for general highway use (remember, most trails around here require a licensed vehicle).

so what differentials to use? the RZR has a whopping 75 hp, I'm thinking something in a 1.3 liter Honda motor from a FIT or such would be the cat's pjs.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 14, 2015, 09:59 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

MB? Sami? I'm confused.... The concept of a New Millenium Dune Buggy sounds interesting though. How about cutting up an Evo or WRX? Suspension is there, plus plenty of Rally aftermarket. Power is certainly there. Just shorten the wheelbase and replace the sedan body with something light. Sure your 100 HP creation would be cute, but how about 400+? Gotta be some super sedans available at salvage.
    Last edited by RockJustRock; September 14, 2015, 10:23 PM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Or any AWD Subie......

I met this guy in the ace hardware parking lot. He was checking out my buggy at the time. We talked exchaned contact info and I hadent talked to him in a few months. I called him up and BAM he already built his buggy. Its made from an 1984 Wagon. I havent seen it in person yet.

The other ideas I came across used a motorcycle drivetrain in a sand rail frame. Only 2WD and can a bike VIN be applied to something with 4 wheels? Grim topic, but PLENTY of wrecked bikes with salvageable powertrains.

Comment

subaru is too wide and too heavy; not to mention it might have 3" of travel per wheel....
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 14, 2015, 11:03 PM.

Comment

"Any Subie" is the cheap already done version. Your project would require a WRX and aftermarket rally parts, but yeah, more like Super Jeep than Super RZR. Just thinking AWD would be tough to fab.

Comment

Important information is missing.

What are said trails like? Speeds managed? I assume state land....spark arrester type situation?
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Great. Yesterday I was a "No one" and today I'm an "Everyone else"... lmao.

If you can manage weight on the thing, I wouldn't overlook an old Evo 80" Harley V-twin for power. They make great torque at very usable RPM's and believe it or not, are pretty dang fuel efficient. They are pretty quiet if they actually HAVE a muffler, and from what I've seen, have a lot better low rpm torque curve WITH one. The obviously required shock value doubles when you idle the potato potato potato by somebody. Air cooling takes a lot of weight and hassles out of the way too. The trick with anything will be a gearbox/reverser. Anything with "ATV" or "UTV" in the description starts getting pricey in a hurry, but Japanese Kei trucks may be a good source for the diffs and / or transfer case.
              Last edited by Beagle; September 15, 2015, 05:32 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                Important information is missing.

What are said trails like? Speeds managed? I assume state land....spark arrester type situation?

street legal and licensed otherwise there would be no need for Heep bits.... picture a shortened, stretched Heep
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 15, 2015, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  Great. Yesterday I was a "No one" and today I'm an "Everyone else"... lmao.
                  who said that? not a bad idea from the peanut gallery...

Comment

Sounds like you need a "VEEP" to me.

Now before tossing the VW idea.........keep in mind the VAST availability of suspension enhancement options. It certainly meets the other parameters, and is not so wild as to draw undue attention on the road either.

A nice mid-travel VW style suspension, your choice from mild to wild vw powerplants (or Subie conversion), plate it and done. I believe standard Willys stuff like tops fit these as well.
                    Last edited by STINEY; September 15, 2015, 07:13 AM.

Comment

For somebody who likes to do projects, the off-road stuff is pretty attractive just because of how wide-open your choices can be...white sheet of paper, imagination all-over-the-place...you could do almost anything and mistakes when you make them won't get punished too hard, i.e. nobody winds up on their head on fire at 200mph...if you screwed something up either on the drawing board or in construction you...what, limp back home on three wheels, or just turn it back over? Meanwhile you're out there all day for free, at least around here. My own mental wanderings that way usually start small, light, tube-frame/aluminum skin, lightest-possible V8 power. and loads of suspension travel...having it be street-licensed would double the effort but probably double the fun as well. Unfortunately for me that's all a "someday" as I've got myself signed up for too much already now but I have collected a few things parts-wise that could go that way.

Comment

Hmmm...HD evo powered VW based rock rail?
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

so what differentials to use? the RZR has a whopping 75 hp, I'm thinking something in a 1.3 liter Honda motor from a FIT or such would be the cat's pjs.
                          Find an Yamaha FJ1200 and get some goodies from RPM. Stock it makes 110hp and 80lbft....they are used in Legend Cars regularly...are mostly bullet proof and when built would haul ass in light weight RZR....
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                            Sounds like you need a "VEEP" to me.

Now before tossing the VW idea.........keep in mind the VAST availability of suspension enhancement options. It certainly meets the other parameters, and is not so wild as to draw undue attention on the road either.

A nice mid-travel VW style suspension, your choice from mild to wild vw powerplants (or Subie conversion), plate it and done. I believe standard Willys stuff like tops fit these as well.

way too big and not 4x4.

think this way, the FJ40 is for when a 20# sledge is required

this 4x4

is a body hammer and used for detail work.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 15, 2015, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Ahhhhh.....I see now. Tricky, it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X