Its Alive!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its Alive!!!!

Me and dad got the 350 running in our 70' chevelle today. Its a sweet car triple black, super straight and rust free. Its a 350/th350, PS, PB, AC, tilt, rear window defog, bench seat, column shift, auto oh and lets not forget about the badass delco 8-track!!!! Yeah baby w/reberb!!! It was my highschool car and dads owned it since 72' He bought it from his sister. Now It probably hasnt been started in 4-5 years and hasnt been driven in 9 or 10. Man that thing poured some nasty smoke out right away. But after a Q-jet rebuild and thurough cleaning she actually runs fairly decent. Ive got a bit of a pop back through the carb I have to get rid of. It happend when i part throttle it and let off. The one big issue is theres a HUGE clanking noise that sounds like its coming from the tq converter/flexplate area. This is why it got sat down last time so were going to have to pull all of that apart and see whats up. I dont think its the motor, it runs really smooth. If it was a rod or somthing I dont see how the motor could posibly run that smooth.....sorry im excited and I just had to rant a bit!

Re: Its Alive!!!!

Congratulations!

Nice job on hanging on to it all these years. The 350 is the perfect motor and the 70 body style is a nice one. My first car was a 67 Chevelle (wanted a Road Runner but dad was afraid I would kill myself in one) so I have always had a soft spot in my heart for them. There is still plenty of time before the next cruise season so get that bad boy sorted out and you will be the envy of virtually everyone else on the road!

Comment

Congrats man. And don't worry, as long as that clank didn't turn into a clunk and puke the tranny, you'll be fine.
      sigpic

Comment

Awesome job! Trust me a few years down the road you will remember this time with your dad has being some of the best times. Its a great father son thing

Mike

Comment

How about some pictures.
          1964 Chevelle
          Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
          LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

It's great you've had the car that long. It's great that you have your dad to work with.

The best part of the car is the factory 8 track. I've got one in my '76 T/A.
            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I was going to say PICS but someone beat me to it.
              Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Noise, probably loose or missing torque converter bolts,maybe cracked flex plate.I TOO had a soft spot for the 70, nice body style ,but when they $450 a yr for insurance i said no way. I bought a new 6 cyl truck they still wanted that much, so i drove it a couple yrs without insurance.

Comment

Ill try to get some pics in the next few days in my photo bucket, ill come back and post when I do.

Comment

Also the tin flywheel cover can get bent and starting banging against stuff like the crank offset (my friend Carl's 66 Elco did this) the convertor and flywheel.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Im going to be pulling the tranny cover off wednesday, ill see whats going on and report back, hopefully with some pics.

Comment

The weird part about the "clank/clunk" going on is at part throttle it gets quieter.....hmmmmm

Comment

Comment

nice job, i know how excited you get when you hear it run, its an awesome feeling.

Comment

Cleans up at part throttle? hmmm...

1) Is the tranny mount shot or the crossmember loose?
                              2) (duck) is the starter loose and striking the flexplate?
                              3) doubtful, but we had it on the roundy-round late model - are all the bellhousing bolts tight? And none of the ears broken off? (our problem) looked like we had enuf variance to engage/disengage the converter and the input to the pump ate itself.
                              4) I knew a guy who had one of the stator vanes break loose in the converter - but that didn't clean up at part throttle - and it made one hell of a clank as it ate the converter. Yank the pan and make sure you don't have tons of debris.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X