No announcement yet.

Who's Your Idol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually signed on with the idea of entering "Billy" on this thread, too. As usual, treed!

Dan

Comment

Haha Beagle, thanks!

As for me, it would be difficult to put a pin on a single individual and say that person is the one I aspire to be like. To do so would be setting myself up for disappointment. I think there are many people in my life that I aspire to be like in different areas. The challenge is to blend those various characteristics into something completely unique.

The people on the board/internet/www that I most admire are those who have every reason to act the big-shot (because of celebrity, business success, or what-have-you), but still interact with us regular folks on a normal basis.

Oh and Billy, too.
      Last edited by BBR; October 19, 2015, 09:03 AM.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Von Dutch. He did what he wanted to.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Idol's....I don't know....I guess my pap's. Both of them to a degree....good men...that's all I have ever wanted to be...a good man and a good dad. I look up to a lot of people, guys and gals that have guided me, helped me or influenced my thinking and actions for the better in some way....too many to list.....

There have been others who I didn't like, didn't look up to and would not piss on if they were on fire in front of me but they too have helped me be the guy I am...those ones steered me away from a bad path, or bad ideas....

Getting a little deep in here....I go away for a while now we are getting all philosophical.....WTF!
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Proof we miss and need your input Joe. Welcome back!
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              Barry wait a minute....

"I met chuck yaeger once"

Seriously?
              yes. I spoke of it here more than once.
              ..and I spelled his name wrong.

He was in bangor maine for an airshow, a classic p51. I launched as an acting crew chief. Not sure why I was picked, nobody volunteered..the public stuff was just starting to get scary in 1996. A goal was to not be identified if you don't have to. That turned out to be an accurate revelation... won't talk of it here.

I shook his hand, realized we were the same height and stance. I think he said, " You just need to pull the chocks - and tell me if oil drops out of the supercharger". Signal shutdown. I had to learn facts later, but we both had 20/10 vision, ate deer meat, lived like little monkeys in the rural poor place we came from. Cold was not much, pain is still a problem,as it goes forgotten. Very nice to meet him as human... the air force does something different with people like us.

One way or another it is big. A black hole or a hero...

I would like to think I had an idol.. I simply do not. Educators are my favorite people however.

edit:
              I guess there is influence to declare an idol..
              Thinking a lot lately, quiet and clean air most of the time.
              It is definitely educators, all of them are my idols.

I was strangely set off course to my engineering computer brain, even after being part of a very small crowd in the early 80s sitting in front of an apple computer. I excelled at all my interests. Ace after ace, won awards physically and for mentally.

Funny enough, the military calling was simply gulf war 1. Altered my life. Surprise is an enemy I guess.. no regrets. I knew of hardly any heros, none of it is my real love of life.
              My surname did not help, it is one of the most famous military generals in american history..you would be surprised how many mentioned it, as if to be the first ice breaker meeting other military people.
              Coming from the same region of the superhero did not help that fact.

Anyway, life goes on..
              I am at a point now, where whatever learns is greater than I have learned. Youth has to take over some day. That is how educators look at it as well.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 19, 2015, 08:17 PM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Had a few as a boy, but as we all became older I realized they were simply doing their best each day.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Working...
                X