No announcement yet.

3 Months in Retail/Customer Service. Lessons Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like this, there are Do'ers in life and there are people that need to be told what to do. The question is which do you want to be?? You will never make the "Big Bucks" unless you work for yourself, but to work for yourself you have to be a Doer. I'm sure there an plenty of VA Loans to help Vets start Businesses. That is what I think you should do, you're getting a taste of the working man's life, now it's time to try being the Boss, your own Boss.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

My Dad was a Realtor and owned his own business. I saw enough of that life to NEVER want that for myself. Alex has a point, of course, but what I saw was that every person who came in the door was Dad's boss and he had no idea of what THAT boss wanted. Sure, you can send a few of them down the road but if you do that too often you no longer have a business. I opted for a life where I knew what I needed to do and I worked to do it well.

Remember, work is NOT your life. It's what you do to afford your life. If you have any doubt about the wisdom of that statement - call me in 20 years (if I'm still alive!)

Different lives for different people.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; October 21, 2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Remember, work is NOT your life. It's what you do to afford your life. Dan
        Well said Dan, well said.
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

When I worked in a Chevy dealer after HS. First as a parts driver, then working the counter for the shop. The service writer was OK, he'd only try to screw GM on warranty work. Parts got recycled for claims. He got caught when Chevy went from orange to blue. We had one mechanic who was a thief, he would add on parts and keep them. He got pissed at me when I refused to help him. We had one lady who was about 50, she had a cigarette holder, pill box hat and a cheap leopard print coat. She was known as the "crazy lady" she would have her car Nova serviced then try to get the mechanics to "service" her.

I use to work in the world headquarters for Hertz. That was 18 years of trying to deflect getting blamed for anything that went wrong because shit rolls down hill. For the last 8 years I work in a school system. Great boss, great benefits, good working conditions, so-so pay and work out of state which sucks. Home only on week ends. Stuck there to get vested in 2 years.

Sometimes having your giblets in a vise is a good motivator. Have you thought about doing something freelance off the books? Maybe do some painting? No permits, no inspections and it will certainly pay more that what you're getting? I use to work with someone like that. He did a painting side job for a realtor that led to another and another job and before he knew it had a painting business and a couple employees. And he was all thumbs, bull in a china shop.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Used to be the postal service would give veterans 10 points on their exams.. 95% becomes 105% on a 100% entry.. So getting in is guaranteed..
            Not sure about now..
            My carrier is a hell of a nice fellow.. Has a Marines tat I sa when it was hot.. He enjoys himself.. It is what you make it.. He hurrys thru hi route, told me he can do an 8 hr route in 5.5 hrs.. No breaks or lunch.. Gets to go home 2.5 hrs early..

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

I don't know what you are talking about? You're just not trying hard enough! I lined my rims up and they line up every time

Sorcery!!!
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Bullseye on just about everything, Joe. And I actually agree with Alex. Having your own business is much more preferable to me.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post

Sometimes having your giblets in a vise is a good motivator. Have you thought about doing something freelance off the books? Maybe do some painting? No permits, no inspections and it will certainly pay more that what you're getting? I use to work with someone like that. He did a painting side job for a realtor that led to another and another job and before he knew it had a painting business and a couple employees. And he was all thumbs, bull in a china shop.

This place is okay, I mean...My managers are decent, and co-workers are tolerable....I don't really have a problem with it. It is just a part time gig to help pay down debt before I retire from the Air Force. And I've not held down a real civilian job (besides pizza delivery) since February of 1994 so it is a real eye opening experience for me.

I have some connections in a few different industries. I do not want to work on aircraft but if the opportunity presents itself to do it for the DoD as a civilian I will (working that angle right now)

I also know a few other little known companies that really like to hire guys with my experience so I will also explore those avenues.

There are things in the works at the moment to make my current DoD position a civilian contract. If that happens I will toss my resume out there and because I am already sitting in that seat I would stand an excellent chance at retiring on a Friday and showing up the following Monday in slacks and a button down shirt to pick up where I left off.

Truth be told I would love to work for myself......If I came into a substantial amount of money I would open up a motorcycle rental business. I know a guy who is making a killing right now and can't keep up with demand....But, with that type of business there would be lean times so being financially smart would be helpful (I am not)

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've said this numerous times over the years, EVERYONE should work with the public at least once in their career. It'll give you a whole new perspective on life. Did my stint in the eighties mechanic then taking over the parts counter and service over the shop. And yep all the above
                    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                    X