'67 Trans Am Phantom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '67 Trans Am Phantom?

I have a '67 Firebird convertible I've been working on for a while. Was wondering what folks thought about the concept of turning it into a Phantom Trans Am... The car is a bastard in the first place, somebody had already put a 250ci inline six/turbo 350 into it. I bought it because a former failed '67 Firebird 400 project that I had bought to put a Wayne Due subframe I bought about 4 years ago into turned out to be way way too far gone. That car ended up in the dump for recycling when I cut the rear frame rails and the tail panel went boing 4" up on the left and 3" down on the right ;D. I went looking for more project fodder and found this, but this one is too nice to cut up for the C4 suspension so... I got rid of the six, dropped in a 355 and a Moser 12-bolt, and kept the Turbo 350 (wife's car) and added the 400 hood from the dead car, and Camaro front & rear spoilers. I was figuring white, blue interior & top, '69 fender extractors, and blue stripes and tail panel a la '69.

Livin the dream

Re: '67 Trans Am Phantom?

Oh, and blue '67 HO stripes down the side...
    Livin the dream

Comment

Truthfully, I like a good clone as long as it's designed to be a clone. But if this car is as clean as it seems, just drive the wheels off it as is.
      sigpic

Comment

I think I would agree with Joe and that as clean as it is just drive the wheels off of it. In the mean time go ahead and collect all the parts you would need to make it a clone and then one day, when it is tired and needs a rebuild anyway you will already have everything you need to redo it as you envision it. That's my 2 cents anyway. Either way the car is great and I hope you have many long years of enjoyment with it.

Comment

OK, Images are up now... Huge Newbie mistake - yikes.
          Livin the dream

Comment

I'd do it!

Comment

Why wouldn't you? You gotta make it the car you want.
              Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I build my cars for me, i couldnt care less what others think or say. If your gonna complement me then thanks but if not just keep it to yourself.

I say build it how you want after all its your car and you that will be driving it

Comment

I also come from the same school of doing whatever makes you happy. I LOVE converts so as long as you don't hardtop it, we're cool. ;D

Comment

Don't get me wrong, if in a couple month you post pics of it as a Trans Am, I'd say sweet ride. I also believe build what you want, how you want. But coming from the land of swiss cheese quarter panels I kind of think it's cool that the ride is as straight and pristine as it is.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys - didn't know if:

1) The Pontiac purists would want to de-nut me because it's got a Chebby.
                      2) The Trans-Am folks would want to Tar & Feather me for putting forth a farce.
                      3) The general purists who hate "Phantoms" would shoot me on sight.
                      4) The resto crowd who would have my ass for not doing a real restoration - it is a repaint of the original color (a 10-footer), but all of the Pontiac OHC 6 stuff and the Powerglide bits were long gone (maybe good riddance lol).

Nice to know there's a good group of folks who just like cars for what they are in this age of (sigh) Barret-Jackson. I couldn't beat the price on the motor - got 1/2 into it what the crank kit and heads alone would have cost me, and it's not even broke in yet. Rumor is that it was a personal motor that came out of one of the big NASCAR shops, they're a dime a dozen around here.

Here's an old image I ran across several years ago that started the concept - that along with Bob Bertlesman's yellow '67 Camaro in HOT ROD years back that started the whole Wayne Due concept - have no idea where I saw this image, saved it off as a desktop background, and found a copy on my machine at work...

Livin the dream

Comment

Well i am a pure pontiac guy, hell i own 3 of them now but as i said before its your ride.
                        Everyone said i was crazy when i wanted to rebuild my 287 as a perfomance motor. That was the original motor in my 55 but every shop i called said ditch it and use a 400/455 but i didnt want that. It cost me but i got what i wanted in the end 8)

Comment

You son of a bitch....how dare you build a sweet hot rod out of somthing that was a 6 banger to being with. BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!J/K man!! dude its your car do what you want with it. Im a big poncho fan and I REALLY appreciate a well done pontiac motor but if you want it to be fast and dont want to spend a fortune theres nothing better than a chevy power plant.....And to all the naysayers who scream "its a fake" ask them why they have SS badges all over their malibu chevelle. Or why people are paying stupid money for a hemi "recreation" . A clone is fine, and as long as you dont try to pass it off as a real factory rarity who cares, its what you want.

Comment

Amen Brother ;D My feelings exactly. I did this because since I was a kid I wanted a 1st Gen but since Camaros (god I still want one) have gone thru the roof this was cheaper (And I like the chrome beak better). Thanks for the input.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

I personally agree with most that say build the car you want. I also have a 67 Firebird convertible that I still am not sure which way to go on. I am not a big rag top fan but the wife loves it, which makes the build go smoother. Mine was also a 6 cyl 4 speed originally that someone somewhere hacked in a 350/350TH. I have been toying with the hardtop convertible idea. The T/A add ons sound cool though.

Comment

Working...
                              X