CA DMV Has a Cool Idea Then Screws It Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA DMV Has a Cool Idea Then Screws It Up

A little while back, our California Dept. of Motor Vehicles offered up one of the coolest ideas they could have for the owners of "classic" vehicles: The re-issuance of older license-plate styles/colors, to replace whatever newer ones you might have and help get your total vehicle appearance right. There were three common original types to be available: yellow w/ black for '56-63, black w/ yellow for '63-'70, and blue w/ yellow for '70 up into the eighties. They needed pre-orders (at $50) to start...they wouldn't run any of each style until reaching qty. 7500.

Special interest license plates are available for autos, commercial vehicles, trailers, and motorcycles. They’re a great way to support a cause you care about.

We put some thought into that as I'd love to have a pair of yellow/blacks for our '59 Chevy, it had been switched to the '63-up style when those came out as that was mandatory at the time and the originals were lost forever.

Ultimately we decided on "no", preferring to keep it "not-quite-original legit", rather than original-looking reproduction, and didn't really pay any more attention to that program although I still thought it was a great idea.

Well it didn't matter for us as they never got enough orders for our needed style anyway, but they did reach the threshold for the '63-'70 black/yellow.

Those have been out now and here's the first ones I've seen, on Craigslist from a guy who evidently ordered up a few pairs with whatever available interesting number/letter combinations he could get and is looking to re-sell to the right guy for $100, making a handy $50 each. OK, hey I'm all for entrepreneurism...

But if we had bought a pair of these from the DMV with the thought it would make our car look like it had original plates, we'd be pretty disappointed. The Black is there, the yellow seems to be right, but the style of lettering is so far off it looks like they've intentionally tried to make them look wrong:

Have a look at the "S". An "S" is an S, right? Not really. Compare with an original below:

Seems anal to gripe about, unless you're the type of car guy who'd go to the trouble to get such an item as this and are kinda detail-oriented. The letter style (font if you will) is a mile off and looks like a total fake. The "I" is way-wrong also (originals didn't have the horizontal lines top-and-bottom), and there are probably other letters that are different. Furthermore, the guy setting the dies could have been instructed by his supervisor to maybe try to center the characters on the part. That's just sloppy.

The cheapest Chinese counterfeit watch makers do a better job than this..again, to be that far off the DMV would have had to do it on purpose. Why? If they wanted to make some details differentiate their re-pops from originals (hard to imagine, as some characters are more true to original and certain plates might just-happen to have only those and would thus look right) they could have at least made it more subtle, such as using aluminum instead of original steel which without having handled one I'm imagining they also did.

We know of-course that "vanity" plates weren't available in the sixties anyhow, but if you're one of the guys who stepped up for this and used original-type series letters/numbers to make it look legit, just know the DMV wasn't exactly behind you on that. Sorry about the $50.

I know how "assholey" DMV is... All states' DMV suck!
    I wanted the proper blue with yellow for my 57... Had 56 plates with the red year stickers that said "63" ..
    DMV said no because my car was "too new"
    I was told I could use "any plate" of right color..
    And a dealer told me in 56, OREGON printed a whole bunch of plates that were embossed "56" with the red metal tags to make them legat
    Therefore there are no "57" plates..
    Hassling got me mad so I just got the ugly "SP" plate. It's licensed forever!

Comment

Oh, that is tragic. Sooooo close yet so far.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

that is bogus.
        Maine has the same program, but uses existing plates, no reissue.
        As it turned out, the license plate fan club of the world gobbled up every 1987 plate there is..

the only year with no boundary and made so cheaply the letters could go invisible.
        bankrupt year or something. Cheapest plates ever made. Arguably, national level. I always wanted one for the killer tin can from japan. Perfect symbol of pathetic metal trying to get a formal way.

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Did they just use the current font without thinking?

Oh, and those lines top and bottom are "seriphs" (not sure of the spelling).

Dan

Comment

serif... and since we did that earlier this month, the ones without are Sans Serif... or am I being pedantic again. Lol.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

That's a great shame they didn't get it right -- I can understand the disappointment. Here in VA you simply have to find old plates in good condition for the year of your classic car and, once the DMV has laid eyes on them and called them good, you're all set. And as long as you keep the car registered in VA, the plates are good forever with no future re-registration payments.
              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I don't know how NC handles that. I DO know that vanity plates are pricey (like my LANDSPED plate).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  I don't know how NC handles that. I DO know that vanity plates are pricey (like my LANDSPED plate).

Dan
                  Look into "SP" plates (special purpose) or antique car plates
                  Generally you buy the plates that never need to be reused.
                  Usually restrictions apply that are not enforced. For example.. To a club event, repair shop or parade..
                  Most cops do not bother the sp plated cars unless they do something stupid. Like street race, burn the tires or too loud
                  Generally 25 years old and older.. Every state is different..
                  Your Mustang probably qualifies ... Also SP plated cars are usually cheaper to insure.. My 57 is only a few dollars more for full coverage versus liability only. Again, who you have. I pay $1200/yr for 3 with liability and the 57 with full coverage..

Comment

Seeing how Cali is about the last state to use stamped metal plates at all, be lucky you can get anything. The cops were pushing to outlaw the old plates because they did not reflect. The politicians got a lot of push back, a helluva lot. Everyone settled on the DMV making reprops, Considering how many plate designs they already offer, this was supposed to be a no brainer. But, considering the Mt. Shasta sized beaurocratic BS that the DMV dept sits on, I am not surprised at all they screwed it up.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Ours in NY a stamped as well and they actually went back to the 70s look with a yellow plate. They did that maybe 2-3 years ago. I liked the statue of liberty ones myself.

Comment

Having been a Cali resident for 58 years before fleeing the state I know that the Ca DMV would f up a wet dream. With that said at least they still offer the stamped plates. Az, like most states are smooth sided.
                        Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          Seeing how Cali is about the last state to use stamped metal plates at all, be lucky you can get anything. The cops were pushing to outlaw the old plates because they did not reflect. The politicians got a lot of push back, a helluva lot. Everyone settled on the DMV making reprops, Considering how many plate designs they already offer, this was supposed to be a no brainer. But, considering the Mt. Shasta sized beaurocratic BS that the DMV dept sits on, I am not surprised at all they screwed it up.
                          My eyesight isn't what it used to be, but with 7 number/letters crammed onto dark background plate here, it's hard to read them anyway. They use license plate readers like Big Brother suggests. Maybe the DMV there could take some money out of the hooker and blow slush fund and put it into readers... and that may have something to do with why the font was selected?
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The DMV, in every state, is filled with car hating, prius loving, jealous, political, bike lane loving, backwards, threats to the common man.

The fact they f-ed up the font on plate lettering is no surprise. It wasn't about being correct, it was about generating income from the car culture they ultimately hope to destroy.

Bastards.
                            Last edited by Criscobath; October 26, 2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

That rant coulda been done in 4 sentences. LOL
                              STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
                              X