Auburn V12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auburn V12

Hi all-I have received many positive comments on the V12 pics that I have posted. Instead of derailing the 'pic of the day' thread I have decided to post more info here in a new thread.

A bit of history 1st- The Auburn Automobile company was part of "Cord Corporation" Headed up by E.L. Cord.( I could go on for days about him, but if you are interested, you will research it yourself.) "Cord' owned over 100 different companies notably "Lycoming" (engines) "Central Mfg" (bodies) and "Columbia Axle" He also owned "Duesenberg motors" (Fred and August ran it)
    In 1930 Auburn spent 1 million dollars designing their V12 engine.(400K on engineering, 600K on tooling) 1931 was Auburn's BEST YEAR ever! There were many people that thought that the 1929 Crash would just be a "Bump" or "correction" so E.L. had his boys proceed on a multi-cylinder 'luxury' v 12.
    The V12's built by Auburn, Packard,Marmon, Cadillac, and Pierce Arrow were not built so much for power (stay with me now) but for being SMOOTH in operation. Also many of these high end classics were chauffeur driven "Town car" type automobiles. The Aristocrats in the rear very much disliked the city traffic, and especially the start and stop 'jerkiness' that came with a non synchro transmission. A smooth running 12 or 16 cylinder could "lug" the car around without having to downshift (often). Duesenbergs could lug down to 5 mph in high gear! Also keep in mind that Gasoline was 'poor' octane wise, and cars were around 4.5:1 compression ratio.

See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

The Auburn 12 was ready for the 1932 model year! Unfortunately, what had seemed a "bump" in 1930 had become "The beginning of the end" by 1932
    The 12 cylinders were built in 32,33, (and some) 1934 Auburns. In 1937 the Cord Corporation went 'tits up'.
    A group of New York investors bought a few "things"from the bankruptcy auction- Lycoming,Stinson Aircraft, and Century airlines (you DID your homework right?) This was called "AVCO" (aviation company of america) The board at AVCO did'nt give two shits about the auto business, in fact they directed Lycoming to cease production of auto,marine, and industrial engines. The future was "Airplanes", and if you didn't like that, you know where the door is....
    One of the AVCO board members "happened" to be on the board of "American LaFrance" which "happened" to be in New York (elmira) and told of the 1MM dollar V12 engine design and tooling that could be acquired from Lycoming CHEAP.
    American LaFrance bought the Auburn design, and although updated and modified, is essentially an "Auburn" 12

ALF built these engines until 1956. For you young guys wondering why Diesel engines were not used, which is a good question, until you know the reason-Diesel engines pretty much sucked until maybe late 1960's(?)
    Last edited by V12guy; October 25, 2015, 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	piston and rod.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	1065810 I got it- enough with the history lesson, lets see some pics!!
      This is a piston and rod assembly from one of my extra 12 cylinder engines. Forged rod with oil holes up to the wrist pin, and to squirt on the cylinder walls. 9.5" center to center.
      Also note that 'Zollner' and 'Bohn" had not yet invented or patented the "Barrel" or "Cam ground" piston yet........ so a ROUND piston it is!

Comment

Being only semi-literate, I need

MORE PICS!!!!!

And thanks for the history lesson. I've been to the ACD museum many times so I know some of this, but the hoods are almost always down. Cryin' shame if you ask me.

Dan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	laborday engineclose.JPG
Views:	732
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	1065831I think this is my avatar pic, is from 2014, a few TINY changes, but larger so that you can see the engine better.
          Oh, and for those of you wondering..... 106' of spark plug wire...

Comment

This is cool . Now I want to hear it ! Maybe you could post something in the favorite video thread ?
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

very cool.
              I am lost without the deeper facts... dug around the net.

45 degrees, 391 cubic inches, 160 hp. Horizontal valves.
              auburn goes way back to 1cyl runabouts weighing in at 1500 pounds. 1903.
              they went through 2 depressions, ww1 was the first one.

The "what if lycoming kept it going?" is a question I ponder bout the boxer four and automobiles as well.
              They would have made a 60 degree v12.. and I bet they would have kept 391 cubic inches, and of course a benz crank by their own engineering.

There is still room for that today, you think capitalism would have thrown something at it.
              like liquid cooling back then...it never left either.
              flat 4 6, v8 and v12 .. all benz crank proper angles... liquid cooling option.
              They'd be more famous than a beetle... although they are that already.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

That's a cute V12.
                The Green Machine.
                http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

His runs, Al.
                  Last edited by tedly; October 26, 2015, 03:33 AM.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Hey Al- seeing your GMC post here is what got me thinking of joining. I was at an auction this spring,and there were two GMC 12 cylinder engines there,one complete,one complete but disassembled one went for 220$ and the other for 50$
                    I was thinking about buying them,but was really wanting the Seagrave 906, but got outbid. Came home with nothing

Comment

It must sound like a cross between angels singing and a heavy metal band that has been possessed by the devil.....
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Really...I know what a tiny little Jag V12 sounds like, I'd like to hear a thumper like these run.

Comment

I'd like a V-12... Why? What does it matter?
                          Jag's 12 is a screamer if they can stay together, not to mention pricey!
                          I like the GMC... But boy is it a porker!
                          Lambo, and all those others. Pffft! Out of my price range!
                          Always wanted one of those twin SBC together...
                          More than likely... I'll stay with V-8's..

Comment

The engine sounds 'weird' actually, more of a tractor or industrial engine tone to it. nothing like you (or myself) would think. later this week I will get it out and shoot a quick video for you all. now when it idles at 350 rpm and the water pump bearings are louder than the engine, THAT is cool!

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                              His runs, Al.
                              So does mine. I just haven't built the car to go around it yet. But hell I only got it last week. Give a guy some time.
                              The Green Machine.
                              http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X