Hot Rodding Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rodding Jobs

What are some of the best jobs in the car junkie world.... other than automotive writing? What is out there that someone can support themselves and work on cars? im not talking about working at a chevy dealer or at FMC at a desk. I want to know about legit hot rodding jobs. one of my dreams is to start a shop and build cars for people, but im not entirely sure that is a realistic posibility. just curious what you guys do or think would be fun to do. im a senior in high school who wants to find a way to work on cars..... and not do much else. any thoughts?

Bill

Re: Hot Rodding Jobs

there isn't real good money in auto perfomance shops, unless you get into your own retail products, and they are unique. Hot Rod Shops may be a little better, but you really almost have to stick it to the people with real money to do well at it, this is just my opinion of seeing it myself.

Comment

sell your soul and go work for a top fuel/funny car team. it's a 24/7 job with little pay.
      i liken it to joining the circus, cause thats it's exactly what it is. you have to pack up the tent and go to a different town every week.
      on the plus side, you get to rub elbows with some of the greats, you get to work on some of the most powerful machines on the planet, you might learn something, and you'll always have good storys to tell.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Jeremy Clarkson from TopGear has the best job in the world!

For me, I don't think at all that wrenching on other peoples cars will give me great satisfaction.
        And the problem is, when you're wrenching 8-10 hours for work, you won't feel very compelled to work on your own stuff anymore, therefore your projects probably just turn to dust over the years.
        This is the prime reason I don't really want to own or work in a garage-business or anything like that.
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure of heart.......think on these things.

Comment

I chose to go to school and become an engineer so I would still like my hobby of working on cars. Now it’s funny, the owner of the Shop I work at is a motor head and gets me to reverse engineer and create new custom parts for the projects he has going on. It’s great I have a job that pays the bills and I get to work on cars that I cannot afford.

Comment

Yeah, I don't need to make six figures, just a decent living.

Any shops in the mid-michigan area, looking? -PM me here.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
                sell your soul and go work for a top fuel/funny car team. it's a 24/7 job with little pay.
                i liken it to joining the circus, cause thats it's exactly what it is. you have to pack up the tent and go to a different town every week.
                on the plus side, you get to rub elbows with some of the greats, you get to work on some of the most powerful machines on the planet, you might learn something, and you'll always have good storys to tell.
                Ya, there's part of me that wants to leave everything behind in michigan and move to north carolina and work for a nextel cup team (sprint cup...sorry).... or buy a cheap car and start road racing.

DF- got a job for me?

Bill

Comment

Ya know - I've been here in the cradle of NASCAR's heartland for 15 years now and you still couldn't pay me enuf to sacrifice the blood & 90-hr weeks to be part of the "NASCAR dream" - plllbbt - it ain't racin anymore - it's all about the money and nothing but greed. Many of my old close friends I haven't seen for years because of the devotion to Hendrick, Roush, and Childress. Don't get me wrong, it's a living, but it's a hard living. I'd rather keep at my little ole IT job and be able to see the wife, kids, and play with my junk rather than do that again. Short tracks, there is something, but there's no $$$ in it. And nobody say Legends or Bandolero crap please - I'll die laughing.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by 99_ls1
                    Ya know - I've been here in the cradle of NASCAR's heartland for 15 years now and you still couldn't pay me enuf to sacrifice the blood & 90-hr weeks to be part of the "NASCAR dream" - plllbbt - it ain't racin anymore - it's all about the money and nothing but greed. Many of my old close friends I haven't seen for years because of the devotion to Hendrick, Roush, and Childress. Don't get me wrong, it's a living, but it's a hard living. I'd rather keep at my little ole IT job and be able to see the wife, kids, and play with my junk rather than do that again. Short tracks, there is something, but there's no $$$ in it. And nobody say Legends or Bandolero crap please - I'll die laughing.

Ya, thats the other part of me.... i guess i just dont know what i want to do. I want do what DF does.....

Comment

I had the joy of doing dyno work (emissions) for the Federal Government. When I started, it was a blast. Unfortunately, the administration types are determined to take the fun out of it and make it a job. I was able to retire (and had to) so it's all in the past for me.

The cool thing was that I got to mess with dynos and other big, neat stuff, but not get so burned out on wrenching that I didn't ever want to see a car again when I got home. So, you might want to consider some type of automotive lab work. This pretty much requires an associates or better these days, which I think sucks. But they won't even talk to you without it.

Best of Luck
                      Dan

Comment

Speaking from my mag experiences is that you need to be able to travel (alot)
                        in order for it to pay the bills and that is why I had a steady day job while
                        being the track photog at GingerMan in the late 90's and as a writer photog
                        for Victory Lane magazine to keep the bills paid as it did not pay all that
                        well but it did have it benefits like getting into races with a press pass which
                        usually was access to almost everywhere at the event.

p.s. Hey DF I am available for anything in West MI!!!!

Comment

Getting a college degree is your first step. I would suggest that no matter what. You need that in your back pocket just in case your world changes later in life.

If your looking for further schooling in a automotive capacity have you considered Wyo-Tech? It's expensive but from what I hear, if you apply yourself, you can learn alot.

Also, contact my buddys Kyle or Stacy Tucker, they own Detroit Speed & Engineering in North Caroline. See if you can spend the summer there apprenticing. They are GREAT folks and you never know it might turn into something. They are expanding MADLY in their R & D department. You can mention that your a pal of Denise Sheldon's.
                          Manufacturer of high-quality aftermarket performance suspension components and kits for American muscle cars and trucks.

Comment

Working...
                          X