How loud is your car ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How loud is your car ?

So the other day I was thinking abo=ut how loud it is in the factory where is work and the noise meters tjey have . Then i wondered if there was a app for that on an android based phone . Sure as the world I found one .Now I'm sure that its not quite as accurate as an OSHA meter but it should be in the ball park. My daily driver 87 Corvette idles in park at 82-85 decipals . In gear idling with the brakes on 81-83 deciples .Cruising at 70 in overdrive 90 deciples . But the good one is excelerating at 5500 rpm 96 decipals. You know you want to give it a try. Who has the loudest daily driver and who has the loudest speed freak ?
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

No competition here, my DD is a Buick Roadmaster. BORING!

Comment

I can talk on the phone just fine in my wife's late model truck, going down the road...it's pretty difficult to carry on a phone conversation in any of mine.

I never did get that sound meter app going, one of these days I should give it a try.
      Last edited by squirrel; December 19, 2015, 10:52 AM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

P.S . This is with the windows up . It really doesnt seem loud . Exhaust has two precats ant then just 2-1/2" pipe out the back .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Your wife's truck is probably the most aerodynamic and insulated of all of them too...

I can't hear anything but wind in my DD with the windows down. The unmuffled (unless you count the turbo) exhaust pipe is over 8 feet from me, though. it's a little bit loud at idle. What app are you using?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Splend apps sound meter.
            Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 19, 2015, 11:13 AM.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post
              No competition here, my DD is a Buick Roadmaster. BORING!
              couldn't help myself.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

A year or two ago I used a decible meter app in the Skylark while simply cruising at 70-75mph, windows up around 65dB, the windows down it was around 75dB, and open headers windows down around 85dB. It definitely barks louder on the throttle though. The Skylark's radio has a bluetooth hands free connection to my phone, and with the mic located on the dash next to the a-pillar, it amazes me people can hear me just fine when I'm driving down the road at 70mph with the window down. It must have some good filtering software!
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

496 inches of Olds power, open element scoop, Hedman Elite long tube headers 1 7/8 w/3 in collectors and 3 in pipes through an X to 2 40 series flowmasters. stops right in front of the rear axle. sets off car alarms. Lots of insulation inside so its really quite too. I bet it'll break 100 DB at 5500. - on the outside -
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    couldn't help myself.
                    Without the turn outs, merely flappers on it.. They are LOUD!
                    Setting the carb and the timing I wear ear muff type hearing protectors.. Yeah, I'm deaf but they pierce your senses!
                    When the kid is working the arena, I can hear the top end of his run..
                    Yeah.. Those pipes on the road are COP CALLERS!

Comment

Dan B - Next time I'm at the track we should measure Mutt. With nothing but a short pipe out of the turbo it's AMAZINGLY quiet. Sorta disappointing. Truck and Nelly are pretty much stock and quiet enough for really comfortable cruising. No apps on my dumb phone.

Dan

Comment

I have yet to measure my current subaru. No muffler with the packing survives, it comes out as sparks...until hollowed.
                        the bullit insynerator muffler has been awesome. Simple diamond shape baffle of steel in the middle.
                        stainless head exits are purpled..
                        I melted the bumper plastic 10-12 feet from the engine.

the loudest I ever run is when a subaru boxer decides down and out.
                        porsche makes the noise famous, subaru makes it an asshole.

the kind of noise where you are looking..but its nowhere in sight...like an invisible car going by to catch the wave.

the iron 8s, go way up past 10-11 to 1.. and it will not be as loud as the modern aluminum...until dragster, altered fuels.
                        I still stay single piped today, I shook a mobile home park with a backyard SBC build.... very self conscious ever since.
                        I like to hear the pings on the 58cc chamber anyway...
                        I pulled in beside my brothers aging mobile hut, and stuff fell down off the walls and cabinets.

deaf bob is right on.. the real loud gains other senses. My eyes twitch at a certain turning point.

the B1 and concorde was insane... but all the jets were loud.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 19, 2015, 01:11 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                          So the other day I was thinking abo=ut how loud it is in the factory where is work and the noise meters tjey have . Then i wondered if there was a app for that on an android based phone . Sure as the world I found one .Now I'm sure that its not quite as accurate as an OSHA meter but it should be in the ball park. My daily driver 87 Corvette idles in park at 82-85 decipals . In gear idling with the brakes on 81-83 deciples .Cruising at 70 in overdrive 90 deciples . But the good one is excelerating at 5500 rpm 96 decipals. You know you want to give it a try. Who has the loudest daily driver and who has the loudest speed freak ?

Decipals? are those noises that follow other noises... in short, the disciple of a decibel? do they have commandments? do they go to church every week or once a year?

many questions... any answers?
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

silliness aside, loud pipes save lives....
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The green Sandrail got caught in a random sound check at Silver Lake dunes......they tagged us at 94 decibels @3000 RPM.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X