Did you bring bottles?.....Nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you bring bottles?.....Nostalgia

Ok, with cars there comes nostalgia.........those of us who came out of the '50's and '60's, there's a lot of nostalgia.
    Remember back then going to the grocery store and cashing in soda bottles?
    There were certain days of the week for everything....washing, taking a bath & getting groceries.
    Almost always, when you went, just before they finished checking you out the checker would ask 'Did you bring bottles?'.
    You would always put them in a rack just outside the store before you went in and it was the honor system.
    It really wasn't to save money, it was the norm, it was the expected.
    My dad had a Bi Rite grocery store back then and I had to seperate them by make...Pepsi, Coke, Squirt etc. ......made it easier when the soda truck came.
    When I was in high school I can't count the times I would take a case or two of bottles, cash them in to put gas in the car....empty bottle was worth 2 cents and a case was 24 bottles.
    Usually a case of empty bottles was worth two gallons of gas.
    Many times we'd go back after dark and get the cases we cashed in and take 'em back the next day ;D

Re: Did you bring bottles?.....Nostalgia

then the day the Bubble up Truck rolled over at the Alpha Beta... man oh man... that was Heaven... we scooped up case upon case of Good pop in glass covered bottles... so not only did we get the soda pop after we washed the bottles... we got to RETURN them..... whew Dude... that was like Heaven... total nirvana for a 10 yr old kid...

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
      then the day the Bubble up Truck rolled over at the Alpha Beta... man oh man... that was Heaven... we scooped up case upon case of Good pop in glass covered bottles... so not only did we get the soda pop after we washed the bottles... we got to RETURN them..... whew Dude... that was like Heaven... total nirvana for a 10 yr old kid...

Keith
      There was another unique way we used to earn money back then returning things........chickens.

I think it was probably a Southern thing....we were in Southeast Missouri, small town.....had two shoe factories and one chicken processing plant.
      We live right next door to the plant..........ah, those memorable aromas.. ;D
      Anway, they would pay us 5 cents a piece to catch live chickens that got lose in the neighborhood......hey, one chicken was worth as much as three empty bottles.
      On a slow day, we would sneak around the semi's with the chicken coops...break them open and take the chickens straight from the truck to the office.......damn, the good old days!

Comment

My Dad used to drive a RC Cola truck in college. It wasn't refridgerated, so when it got real hot the bottles would explode. It could very dangerous, so my Grand father made my Dad quit. Grand Dad went through a lot that summer to get my Dad in the union to work the meat packing plant. Dad said it was much harder work but much safer.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X