Wifey got a new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifey got a new toy

We have a 2003 Mazda 6; it has been the best car I ever owned- dead reliable and gets great gas mileage. However, it's time to replace it; at 183,000 miles it is far from shot but starting to show some age and we decided it would be best to take a few months to shop and really take our time making a good decision, rather than wait for the Mazda to quit and then have a week or whatever to find and buy a replacement. We drove the new Mazda 6's and really liked them, but she decided they are not sporty enough. So she started looking at Civic Si's (cringe) and we found a few that she really liked but we just were not able to put a deal together on one. After a bit she decided that the interior in the Civics are goofy (they are) and that the Acura ILX is the same car but with a nicer interior (agreed). We found one in another state that she really liked but it was a private seller and he did not respond to our inquiries. One night she came home from running some errands and announced that maybe she wants a Mustang (woo hoo). Let's make something clear - this is her car, and I'll drive it some, but she can pretty much pick whatever she wants within our budget. However, the idea of having a real car (as opposed to some half-baked imported sport compact sedan) made my little heart go pitter patter and I went from amused spectator to fully involved in the car shopping project. We found a car at the closest Ford dealer that is perfect - 2012 V6 Premium with the performance package. It only has 5,500 miles, the story being that someone bought their dream car and had it as a weekend driver for 3-4 years before passing away, unfortunately. We got it for a great price for what it is, and I'm totally stoked about the low miles and the Hurst shifter, not to mention just the fact that we have a two-door with a long hood and RWD like god intended. I'm not really bummed about the 6-cylinder too much because this stinking thing runs pretty good- I would say it's quicker than the 93-95 Cobras which a couple of my buddies had back in the day.

Happy wife, happy life. :-)

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Hi Gene! Great to hear from you.

I think the V6 should be a great car for her. Aren't they like 305 HP or something? And they fit in a better LSR class (just a slight prod in right direction) though I'll have to look up the class breaks (I STILL don't have 'em memorized).

How's the youngun's?

Dan

Comment

She looks GREAT in that car! Congrats on two beauties in your life.

Comment

11-up V6 stick cars will run 13.9 stock ... pretty much as quick as my 07 GT 4.6L. Don't sound that great doing it, but a fun DD for sure. Good score! That car with the PP has the larger front brakes from the 05-10 GT, compared to the earlier V6 cars, plus some upgraded suspension bits and the 19" with summer only tires, Pirellis were original IIRC.

cheers
        Ed
        Last edited by fast Ed; December 27, 2015, 07:58 PM.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Congratulations. I like seeing people in american cars . It kills me all the cash we send keep foreign workers working. Yeah I know its a used car but hopefully they ( probably a widow ) bought a smaller front drive Ford to last the rest of her life.
          Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 28, 2015, 07:23 AM.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

My American car isn't All American. I see parts from Mexico, parts assembled in Mexico, maybe the whole car was assembled in Mexico, I don't know.

Comment

One of the annoying parts of the HHR (which we love). We thought we were doing a good thing by buying an American car (we bought it in a hurry and I didn't have time to do any research) and the darn thing is assembled in Mexico using a hodge-podge of parts made every which where. Not as bad as our Nova (one of the Toyota Corolla Novas made by NUMMI in California) which had bits from EVERYWHERE including a Lucas wiper motor. Amazingly, it kept wiping and only when we turned it on.

Dan

Comment

There are a couple import manufacturers that build in USofA.... Where are the parts made is anybody's guess..
                Isn't Corrolas and Camries built in Tennysee?

Comment

Toyota has really spent a lot of bucks having Americans and American companies do their stuff over the years, gotta salute them for buying parts from the market they sell in although that hasn't necessarily been out of generosity.

That Mustang...hmm...I have been kinda nudging my wife a bit about maybe picking up such a car, say five-year-old V6 ragtop for her to drive to work in...

Comment

Loren - We miss Gail! Hope she's OK. Please tell her Dan says HI! And yes, she'd look great in a little Mustang convert.

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; December 28, 2015, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I miss her also . Hope she just been busy .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I know one thing.. DO NOT REAR END A SUBURBAN!
                        The Mustang that rear ended me got totaled, I don't have ANYTHING to fix!

Comment

Working...
                        X