Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Jobs - How old, and what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdub
    replied
    So much talk about paper routes here....I wanted one, they were all taken. I trained on one and relieved a guy one time who was away for a week. Spyder bicycle with 50 pounds of newspapers hung from the handlebars, there I went, could hit a porch pedaling at 50 yards, the best arm ever..... And guess which week it was? The week to collect the money. (See the Dan Stokes post far above).

Leave a comment:

• tedly
    replied
    Had a paper route when I was about 10 or 11, I was actually the youngest one they had hired in recent memory. First real job was bagging groceries in a nice part of town. I'd make more in tips than I did in hourly pay half the time.

Leave a comment:

• Criscobath
    replied
    I was 15 years old. (Probably 17 in this photo)

This was the place.

At the time I quit, I was the longest running part timer ever at this car wash location. I learned to drive a standard transmission driving cars out of that tunnel. The first one was a 5.0 (dude) Mustang. Needless to say, I came out of the tunnel sideways.
    Last edited by Criscobath; January 4, 2016, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    My older brother had a paper route when I was about ten..he also hated collecting, so he'd pay me to do it for him. I don't remember how much I got, but if it was a quarter for an afternoon's work, I would have been ecstatic

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I actually tried a paper route for a while (must have been 11 or so) and I sucked at it. My brothers (older) both had Detroit Free Press routes so it was sort of expected that I'd try it, too. I did OK with the paper delivery but I HATED asking people to pay. This doesn't work out well! But there was no SS number or any of that so I didn't consider it my first "real" job.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; January 4, 2016, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    Paper route. 45 houses in my neighborhood. Did that for 3 years...started at 11. At 14 I got a real job at a jewelry store cleaning and buffing jewelry that had been repaired. I used a bench grinder with multiple sanding and buffing attachments to work out the evidence of repair. It was great, I loved it until they found out I was too young to use the grinder. You had to be 18 I guess so I did odd jobs until he let me go. I was getting 2.83 an hour. I worked 2 restaurants and a fast food joint until my cousin talked to his buddy and got me in at the service station in town pumping gas. I was working a lot making 3.25 an hour. In the summers I would work construction at 5 an hour during the day and then the garage at night. When I graduated I went and got a 2nd job at a high end restaurant as an apprentice chef at 5 an hour. I would work from 4am to 3pm then go to the garage and work 4 to 12. I did this 7 days a week and I was killing myself. My boss at the garage offered me 3.75 and hour and 3 to 4 nights a week on the tow trucks if I quit the other job. I jumped on it. Did that for a while then decided to join the USAF.

Leave a comment:

• cobra
    replied
    Started my first paper route at age 11. Had various paper routes over the next few years. Had a job counting cars going thru an intersection. That lasted two days (a day longer than anyone else). Then at 15, worked at a veterinarian for 2 years before college.
    Last edited by cobra; January 4, 2016, 09:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• corvettedad
    replied
    I didn't add hauling hay or feeding cow's that was normal wear and tear , no pay. Yeah everyone needs to fill a barn with square bales, whole new perspective on work for a kid! They need to still be doing it if just for the work ethic

Leave a comment:

• studemax
    replied
    Farm kid. Started getting paid at around 12 or so.......$10/day for field work or haying. $20/day for cutting wheat.
    Dad grew up on a farm in Bourbon County, and Gramps ran the local haying and wheat harvesting operation. Grandpa charged the farmers for Dad's labor, and then applied his wages to new equipment. Dad never saw a dime of it. But harvest crews eat well, and Dad could eat 2 whole fried chickens and a couple pieces of pie at lunch....Every day.

I helped Dad haul hay - that is real goddamn work. You put 1500 square bales in a barn over the weekend, and you know you've done something. Round bales are SO much easier!
    Last edited by studemax; January 4, 2016, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
    16 years old got a job at the local McDonald's. After 3 weeks I decided it would be better to quit than be arrested for felony assault. It was then I discovered I was NOT a people person. Right after leaving Micky D's I landed a job at Disneyland, probably the coolest job I ever had since I worked behind the scenes and didn't have much contact with the general public.
    good idea to quit

throw those hamburgs! chuck those fries!

I only speak one of the jobs before 18. Went through several. I leave off at paperboy in good memory.

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    About 8 years old mucking stalls at a rental stables for free riding. Then when I got old enough to hoist a saddle up got paid cash by the day 7 days a week, did that every summer until I graduated high school. During the school year I worked at a Shell gas station in the neighborhood. Lied about my age (supposed to be 16 with a license, I was 14 at start) and was a pump jockey, etc. for 3 school years.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Farm kid. Started getting paid at around 12 or so.......$10/day for field work or haying. $20/day for cutting wheat. Fuel was $0.19/gal............
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 4, 2016, 07:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bearphoto
    replied
    16 yrs old pumpin gas at a Chevron Station in Fullerton, Calif. $1.75 an hour, for each quart of oil I sold I got .10 cents and if I sold a tire I got $1.00. Started out doing minor services like oil changes, tire repairs, battery charges ect. Worked my way up to Manager after 7 years. Great times!

Leave a comment:

• Gary 351C
    replied
    16 years old got a job at the local McDonald's. After 3 weeks I decided it would be better to quit than be arrested for felony assault. It was then I discovered I was NOT a people person. Right after leaving Micky D's I landed a job at Disneyland, probably the coolest job I ever had since I worked behind the scenes and didn't have much contact with the general public.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Worked on the folk's farm hauling hay, cutting firewood...Washed windshields at a gas station.. Owner is a life long very close friend Later at school I was a lifeguatd. Did Mill work.. Ruined my back..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X