Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Jobs - How old, and what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Worked at a supermarket in the produce dept when I was 17. Boss was a real A hole, he'd change my work schedule on my day off, not tell me then yell at me when I either didn't or did come in when I wasn't suppose to according to him.

Leave a comment:

• Stewzer55
    replied
    I started working with my stepmom cleaning houses when I was 14, that lasted until I got hurt the summer I was 15, from then I really couldn't do too much. Started bussing tables the next year at 16, had to take LOA for a surgery that summer and recovery. Took a second job doing the same thing next door at 17, had another surgery right after I accepted the offer and worked both jobs up until I left for school.I also had a job once a week cleaning a building, was only like 2 hours if that. Worked work study through College, up to 3 jobs at a time. I was born the first year they started issuing SSNs at birth, only reason I have a Florida SSN.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    My dad started his business in 1974 - "worked" for him for awhile but my first real job was in 1978 working on my uncle's ranch... that said, I did eventually work for him.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Besides mowing lawns, my first real job was working in a vineyard when I was 16. (Yes, a vineyard in the Texas Panhandle.)

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Swept the sidewalks of my parochial school in eighth grade for a buck-twenty/hr. My boss was the school principle, a stunning a-hole creep...what I learned there was; work for pride, work for your customers not your supervisor...and get the hell outta the organization supporting this guy. All important lessons, really. Not that it was the question, but next jobs were landscape maintenance (hated), janitorial (tolerable), then part-time re-packaging adhesive chemicals on a production line where I respected my boss and supervisors, enjoyed figuring out the machinery, and loved that I was rewarded ($) for figuring something out and improving a process. That pretty-much set my direction. After high-school I stayed a little longer then went toward machine-shop/mechanic stuff, a a little night-school, so-on.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Started feeding dad's calves about 5 years old.
    Then I worked on a neighbor's tobacco farm at the barn for $5 a day. Later I moved up to tractor driver at $5 / hr. The summer after high school I worked as a laborer for masonry company. Worked on summer at a junk yard. Worked one summer on a survey crew. Worked on summer as an intern at an Engineering firm. Now I work for the Man...

Leave a comment:

• Schtauffer
    replied
    My dad took me along hanging garage doors since I was maybe 6. (We don't do it that way anymore... I started taking my little guy with me when he was a couple months old. But I digress.) My first job that I went out and got on my own was when I was 12; I was coming home from work, pounding out my homework in an hour or two while getting good grades with little effort, and was pretty much bored. So, I did what any bored 12 year old would do and rode my bike to the neighboring farm and asked for a job. The farmer paid me $15 a week to feed the calves after school that winter, then started paying a little more the next summer to help pack eggs. I've been working 60+ hour weeks since the age of 13.

Leave a comment:

• pintoboy77
    replied
    I delivered fruit and vegetables door to door when I was 9yrs old after school and on weekends till I was 12yrs old I got paid 13 dollars a week.

Leave a comment:

• BangShift McT
    replied
    Odd jobs starting around age 12. Weeding, minor car repairs. Got roped into splitting wood and construction site clearing when I was 13 or 14. First job with a W-2 was working the Little Caesar's Pizza Station at a K-Mart in Colorado Springs. Quit after two weeks because the girl I worked with was having in-depth conversations with the hot-dog roller.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclone03
    replied
    Mowed lawns at 9-14. Then a job on Sundays at the Simi Swapmeet at 14. When I turned 15 I got my SSN and a job at Fox Shell in Simi Valley,Cockran and Sycamore. Then Simi Tire till I turned 19.

Leave a comment:

• corvettedad
    replied
    Started when I was 10, me and my two older brothers ran a paper route for several years then worked part time in a restaurant cleaning tables and what ever else needed doing. First actual full time job was with state roadway Dept driving a dump truck when I was 18

Leave a comment:

• nesabo
    replied
    Paper route in 7th grade. Lasted 2 years, then worked in a grocery store when I turned 16.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    I used want to work at a junk yard . Now I'd like to own one !

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I started working at the junkyard in 79, when I was 18, just about to start college. Part time, cash at the end of the day, a few cents over minimum wage, no bennies...but I learned a heck of a lot about cars.
    Last edited by squirrel; January 3, 2016, 02:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    My first steady job was mowing the grass for our church when I was about 12. And since my dad was the pastor and we were living in a house on the property, I got to do it for free . Started out with some sort of wower with one of those loop handle bars , motor between my legs and a trans with F-N-R. Thing had about nine inch solid rubber tires anout four inches wide . And quite litterally before the chuch bought the property it was a horse pasture. It was slow and beat me to death . Took 2 days to mow it. My first paying job was at a warehouse for the National Starch & Chemical Company , loading box cars and semi trailers with 100 lb bags of food starch. I weighed 100 lbs. It bought my first car .

Edit - $3.50 in 1978
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; January 3, 2016, 02:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X