Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Jobs - How old, and what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swept the sidewalks of my parochial school in eighth grade for a buck-twenty/hr. My boss was the school principle, a stunning a-hole creep...what I learned there was; work for pride, work for your customers not your supervisor...and get the hell outta the organization supporting this guy. All important lessons, really. Not that it was the question, but next jobs were landscape maintenance (hated), janitorial (tolerable), then part-time re-packaging adhesive chemicals on a production line where I respected my boss and supervisors, enjoyed figuring out the machinery, and loved that I was rewarded ($) for figuring something out and improving a process. That pretty-much set my direction. After high-school I stayed a little longer then went toward machine-shop/mechanic stuff, a a little night-school, so-on.

Comment

Besides mowing lawns, my first real job was working in a vineyard when I was 16. (Yes, a vineyard in the Texas Panhandle.)
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

My dad started his business in 1974 - "worked" for him for awhile but my first real job was in 1978 working on my uncle's ranch... that said, I did eventually work for him.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I started working with my stepmom cleaning houses when I was 14, that lasted until I got hurt the summer I was 15, from then I really couldn't do too much. Started bussing tables the next year at 16, had to take LOA for a surgery that summer and recovery. Took a second job doing the same thing next door at 17, had another surgery right after I accepted the offer and worked both jobs up until I left for school.I also had a job once a week cleaning a building, was only like 2 hours if that. Worked work study through College, up to 3 jobs at a time. I was born the first year they started issuing SSNs at birth, only reason I have a Florida SSN.
          Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
          1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
          1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Worked at a supermarket in the produce dept when I was 17. Boss was a real A hole, he'd change my work schedule on my day off, not tell me then yell at me when I either didn't or did come in when I wasn't suppose to according to him.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Worked on the folk's farm hauling hay, cutting firewood...Washed windshields at a gas station.. Owner is a life long very close friend Later at school I was a lifeguatd. Did Mill work.. Ruined my back..

Comment

16 years old got a job at the local McDonald's. After 3 weeks I decided it would be better to quit than be arrested for felony assault. It was then I discovered I was NOT a people person. Right after leaving Micky D's I landed a job at Disneyland, probably the coolest job I ever had since I worked behind the scenes and didn't have much contact with the general public.
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

16 yrs old pumpin gas at a Chevron Station in Fullerton, Calif. $1.75 an hour, for each quart of oil I sold I got .10 cents and if I sold a tire I got $1.00. Started out doing minor services like oil changes, tire repairs, battery charges ect. Worked my way up to Manager after 7 years. Great times!
                  Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Farm kid. Started getting paid at around 12 or so.......$10/day for field work or haying. $20/day for cutting wheat. Fuel was $0.19/gal............
                    Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 4, 2016, 07:03 AM.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

About 8 years old mucking stalls at a rental stables for free riding. Then when I got old enough to hoist a saddle up got paid cash by the day 7 days a week, did that every summer until I graduated high school. During the school year I worked at a Shell gas station in the neighborhood. Lied about my age (supposed to be 16 with a license, I was 14 at start) and was a pump jockey, etc. for 3 school years.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
                        16 years old got a job at the local McDonald's. After 3 weeks I decided it would be better to quit than be arrested for felony assault. It was then I discovered I was NOT a people person. Right after leaving Micky D's I landed a job at Disneyland, probably the coolest job I ever had since I worked behind the scenes and didn't have much contact with the general public.
                        good idea to quit

throw those hamburgs! chuck those fries!

I only speak one of the jobs before 18. Went through several. I leave off at paperboy in good memory.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Farm kid. Started getting paid at around 12 or so.......$10/day for field work or haying. $20/day for cutting wheat.
                          Dad grew up on a farm in Bourbon County, and Gramps ran the local haying and wheat harvesting operation. Grandpa charged the farmers for Dad's labor, and then applied his wages to new equipment. Dad never saw a dime of it. But harvest crews eat well, and Dad could eat 2 whole fried chickens and a couple pieces of pie at lunch....Every day.

I helped Dad haul hay - that is real goddamn work. You put 1500 square bales in a barn over the weekend, and you know you've done something. Round bales are SO much easier!
                          Last edited by studemax; January 4, 2016, 07:50 AM.
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I didn't add hauling hay or feeding cow's that was normal wear and tear , no pay. Yeah everyone needs to fill a barn with square bales, whole new perspective on work for a kid! They need to still be doing it if just for the work ethic
                            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Started my first paper route at age 11. Had various paper routes over the next few years. Had a job counting cars going thru an intersection. That lasted two days (a day longer than anyone else). Then at 15, worked at a veterinarian for 2 years before college.
                              Last edited by cobra; January 4, 2016, 09:13 AM.
                              Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Paper route. 45 houses in my neighborhood. Did that for 3 years...started at 11. At 14 I got a real job at a jewelry store cleaning and buffing jewelry that had been repaired. I used a bench grinder with multiple sanding and buffing attachments to work out the evidence of repair. It was great, I loved it until they found out I was too young to use the grinder. You had to be 18 I guess so I did odd jobs until he let me go. I was getting 2.83 an hour. I worked 2 restaurants and a fast food joint until my cousin talked to his buddy and got me in at the service station in town pumping gas. I was working a lot making 3.25 an hour. In the summers I would work construction at 5 an hour during the day and then the garage at night. When I graduated I went and got a 2nd job at a high end restaurant as an apprentice chef at 5 an hour. I would work from 4am to 3pm then go to the garage and work 4 to 12. I did this 7 days a week and I was killing myself. My boss at the garage offered me 3.75 and hour and 3 to 4 nights a week on the tow trucks if I quit the other job. I jumped on it. Did that for a while then decided to join the USAF.
                                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X