Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Jobs - How old, and what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started off with a paper route, didn't have to collect though (about 10) Next job was dumping trash and mopping in an office building. (had to go to each secretary and empty her basket) 3.50$ per week.
    Then I hit the big time, but it would give away my I.D. too easily, and half of you wouldn't believe it anyways...
    (hint- look at my avatar)
    Then a few years in the "Seabees', and well, here we are
    See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

From 9th thru 12th grade - Club cleaner / shoe shiner / range ball picker at the local golf course. Joined PGA apprentice program as a junior in high school and had a 20 year career in the golf business.

Comment

I started cutting grass at a pretty young age. Can't say I ever liked hitting a time clock.

Comment

I swore I answered this here some years ago.

anyway:
          picking grapes for mrs. moffett... rhode island. I must have been ten or so.
          paper boy woburn mass.. age 13. I was a senior airman in the air guard in the mid 90s.. before the pay matching pay of a paper boy in middlesex county mass. (richest county in america for decades - sorry So Cal.)

my first tax paying job.. I needed permission from a guardian. That was a shoe factory. old town maine. I was 16. It must have been 1989 something.
          I was the last man standing. A joke as i could not sit down setting up shoe lasts.
          I saw that one go bankrupt.. no more shoe makers in the area.
          I worked a milloinaires horse farm. he disappeared after bankrupt.. found him years later on the net in Indonesia with the same name and horses.(old italian mob guy)

I then worked two lumber mills.. those both went under, never came back.
          I worked as classic lumber jack..wlaking to delimb etc...
          that is extinct now too.

upon the "futuristic" hope of US air force..1991. gulf war. I ended up being the last of the cold war trained on kc135... my education record still has buck sergeant written as a rank.

not sure what it is with my age group. I am only 49. Cold war trained and watched it die... like the soviet union. Watched classic work go extinct...and yet watched my own age group invent Google, and Elon Musk come out of nowhere, on and on.

Quite a ride. Too much good to feel bad.
          I still drive an old gen 1 sbc around, rowing gears..as my daily.

good tune
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 23, 2022, 07:16 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I was the youngest of 3 brothers, we ran a paper route with the help of our mother, her driving one car my oldest brother driving the other. 400+ subscribers. My first job on my on was working at a restaurant busing tables. Hey it bought gas and clutches.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I subbed for some paper routes but I don't think I actually had one. What I didn't like about the paper routes was collecting. It's like you do realize you're chumping a kid and you're an adult, right?

Comment

Growing up in a farm town, did all kinds of jobs starting at eight mowing lawns...There was always the job of sweeping the feed mill, cleaning at the trucking company shop, snow removal, and cleaning livestock trailers... too many odd jobs to list...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I grew up in the suburbs, so paper routes and mowing lawns up and down the street was pretty typical. I think I had 10 lawns at one point, $10 each, $100 a week for a 11 year old kid wasn't so bad. The news agency should have been convicted of child labor laws of some kind - I delivered about 35 papers 6 days a week, for $9.50 PER WEEK... this would have been 80-84ish.
                  My first "real" job was a counter guy part time at "Giant auto supply" after I could drive.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Barry was talking about shops that closed and it reminded me of a couple. Do you guys remember Poppin Fresh Pies? I was a baker for Pillsbury and got laid off when they sold to Bakers Square and then I worked for General Tire when they had retail stores. Both good paying jobs that left me hanging.

Comment

Pump Jocky at J&L Texaco.
                      age 16. And worked thru the Gas Rationing
                      Endless Lines as Stations were forced to Reduced Hours, and NO SUNDAY SALES !!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                        Pump Jocky at J&L Texaco.
                        age 16. And worked thru the Gas Rationing
                        Endless Lines as Stations were forced to Reduced Hours, and NO SUNDAY SALES !!
                        I'm a little younger than you but I'm old enough to remember waiting in line with my mom.

Comment

Manny Berger shoe store in Oak Park, Il. First W2 job. I was 15. Supposed to be 16. They thought I was. 1.90 or 2.10 an hour, whatever minimum wage was in 1975.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
                            paper boy in woburn mass.
                            like SAC command and carburators.. I was the last in a leave it to beaver neighborhood.
                            It did hang on longer than others... that was 1986.

I was in my 3rd year of military in the 90s, before I made that same amount of money again.
                            Near where I grew up in England is a village called Woburn, has a stately house with wildlife Safari park (duh!, lions in England ) now.

The correct pronunciation, proper English lol, is Wooburn.

Comment

I didīnt do any paper round, cutting grass etc., I went to work at GM UK, 17 years old in 1968 as a five year apprentice.
                              Near the end of my apprenticeship I elected to go into engineering as a sheetmetal worker knocking out next years model.
                              During those end years I did two stints in the drawing office and by chance got onto the illustrating dept.
                              In 1978 I went to work as a freelance illustrator in Wolfsburg Germany and 1991 Barcelona Spain.
                              Retired.
                              The end.

Comment

i did a 130 customer per day, 7 day a week paper route from 8 to 16,
                                i made roughly $260/month which was decent back then.

then as i was walking home after football practice one day i passed
                                molinas bar in happy valley just as a 3 guy fight (2 on 1) came rolling
                                out the door right in front of me.

i pulled off 1 guy, pushed the other away and helped up the guy they
                                had been beating on. ended up he was the owner, and asked if i wanted
                                a job as his doorman. so i started on the spot, $100/night 7 days a week
                                in 1987 for a 16 yr old was BALLING.

about a year and a half later i casually mentioned it was my birthday and
                                and jimmy was like "cool, how old are you now?" and dang near fainted
                                when i said 18. (drinking age was 18 back then) as i had been working for
                                him for a year and a half underaged. hey, it just never came up and i was
                                a BIG kid (6ft2 and 285 when i was only 13...) so he assumed i was old enough.

that was my first job as a doorman, i did it for 29 more years in various bars
                                and clubs. it certainly was an interesting ride, ill say that. i "retired" out at 47
                                years old.

kinda miss it, but kinda DONT miss it even more!

Comment

Working...
                                X