Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Jobs - How old, and what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
    i did a 130 customer per day, 7 day a week paper route from 8 to 16,
    i made roughly $260/month which was decent back then.

then as i was walking home after football practice one day i passed
    molinas bar in happy valley just as a 3 guy fight (2 on 1) came rolling
    out the door right in front of me.

i pulled off 1 guy, pushed the other away and helped up the guy they
    had been beating on. ended up he was the owner, and asked if i wanted
    a job as his doorman. so i started on the spot, $100/night 7 days a week
    in 1987 for a 16 yr old was BALLING.

about a year and a half later i casually mentioned it was my birthday and
    and jimmy was like "cool, how old are you now?" and dang near fainted
    when i said 18. (drinking age was 18 back then) as i had been working for
    him for a year and a half underaged. hey, it just never came up and i was
    a BIG kid (6ft2 and 285 when i was only 13...) so he assumed i was old enough.

that was my first job as a doorman, i did it for 29 more years in various bars
    and clubs. it certainly was an interesting ride, ill say that. i "retired" out at 47
    years old.

kinda miss it, but kinda DONT miss it even more!

My sisters x husband was a DJ at strip clubs and yeah I can imagine it was one hell of a ride. He made good money though.

He tried getting out of it when he was married to my sister but the money was to good. Imagine trying to hold your marriage together when you're around beautiful naked women all night every night. He worked at top notch clubs.
    Last edited by gconnsr; March 25, 2022, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gconnsr View Post

My sisters x husband was a DJ at strip clubs and yeah I can imagine it was one hell of a ride. He made good money though.

He tried getting out of it when he was married to my sister but the money was to good. Imagine trying to hold your marriage together when you're around beautiful naked women all night every night. He worked at top notch clubs.
      the problem usually isn't the naked women, it's the self-prescribed pharmaceuticals that are dispensed. I was involved with strip clubs for several years, I left because I was afraid I'd OD.... worked as a manager among other things - even had the opportunity to buy one, first time I ever thought "I'd be buying my own death."
      As far as strippers - the concept is so cool, but the reality is so not. Girls who get dollars from guys for stripping are, 99.99% of of the time, utterly screwed up - and most times, it wasn't their fault they got there... there are a few that make it out, but 1 in 1000 would be a generous number.

don't hate the messenger - for my part in all of that... not the proudest of my moments. There are some neat people, but all the crap that circles it will kill you.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

as far as how young? my dad started his company in 1974 - I was 8 - I operated a broom and cleaned equipment from then.... first job with an outside employer - freshman in high school I worked on a farm.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the problem usually isn't the naked women, it's the self-prescribed pharmaceuticals that are dispensed. I was involved with strip clubs for several years, I left because I was afraid I'd OD.... worked as a manager among other things - even had the opportunity to buy one, first time I ever thought "I'd be buying my own death."
          As far as strippers - the concept is so cool, but the reality is so not. Girls who get dollars from guys for stripping are, 99.99% of of the time, utterly screwed up - and most times, it wasn't their fault they got there... there are a few that make it out, but 1 in 1000 would be a generous number.

don't hate the messenger - for my part in all of that... not the proudest of my moments. There are some neat people, but all the crap that circles it will kill you.
          It's good to know your weaknesses. I used the same logic with crotch rockets. Two speeds with me, wide open and hope you can stop.

Comment

Originally posted by gconnsr View Post

It's good to know your weaknesses. I used the same logic with crotch rockets. Two speeds with me, wide open and hope you can stop.
            ah yes, young and bulletproof.... VFR1100r was mine.... that said, I didn't own it long - I got so tired of people trying to kill me, no such thing as living defensive motorcycle rider....

Comment

ah yes, young and bulletproof.... VFR1100r was mine.... that said, I didn't own it long - I got so tired of people trying to kill me, no such thing as living defensive motorcycle rider....
              All I had to do is ride my buddies and that was enough for me. 160 in the blink of an eye and those red lights come up quick.

Comment

Another one of my jobs as a kid was working for a general contractor under the table. We did commercial construction.

Comment

Age 14 freshman in high school. Golf course bag room club cleaner, shoeshine boy, range ball picker upper (AKA Target) and any other dirty job that the pro needed done. Led to a 20-year career in the golf business as a PGA professional.

Comment

i dunno.... 29 years in the biz, and i never drank a beer, never smoked a joint or did any other drugs, etc...
                    but my old man was F@CKED up, alcoholic/drug addict so i saw real early on what i DIDNT want
                    to be, maybe thats why it was never even a choice for me.

as far as the naked women, boy oh boy could i tell you some stories... lets just say, "how do you
                    know when a strippers lying to you? if her mouth is moving and your d*cks not in it, then shes lying."
                    seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

i dunno.... 29 years in the biz, and i never drank a beer, never smoked a joint or did any other drugs, etc...
                      but my old man was F@CKED up, alcoholic/drug addict so i saw real early on what i DIDNT want
                      to be, maybe thats why it was never even a choice for me.

as far as the naked women, boy oh boy could i tell you some stories... lets just say, "how do you
                      know when a strippers lying to you? if her mouth is moving and your d*cks not in it, then shes lying."
                      seriously.
                      You're a rarity. My youngest son has never drank either.

Comment

Being a Teamster for over 40 years,
                        the last 15+ in the Construction Division.
                        Quick Learners realize......
                        Waitresses,....Bar Tenderness,.....
                        STRIPPERS,.........The Girl at the Deli.....
                        They ARE NOT Into You !!!!!
                        They are Good At Their Job !!!!
                        ​​​​​As SOON as you Accept that Strippers
                        Are Entertainment, you will be better off.

Not Saying, that seeing What Real Women Are to look at........is a Bad Thing.
                        Last edited by Captain; March 31, 2022, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                          Being a Teamster for over 40 years,
                          the last 15+ in the Construction Division.
                          Quick Learners realize......
                          Waitresses,....Bar Tenderness,.....
                          STRIPPERS,.........The Girl at the Deli.....
                          They ARE NOT Into You !!!!!
                          They are Good At Their Job !!!!
                          ​​​​​As SOON as you Accept that Strippers
                          Are Entertainment, you will be better off.

Not Saying, that seeing What Real Women Are to look at........is a Bad Thing.
                          it screws with their heads when they take their clothes off for money - basically they believe that their only value has nothing to do with who they are... That means that they are not at all like waitresses, baristas, bar tenders, DJs, or any other service-industry job. Also, because service industry jobs exists, a person can try out lines to see if it's a positive or negative reaction with the only 'downside' being you may not want to eat what they put in front of you later.... but please, stop comparing the stripper to other starter jobs - it does a disservice to everyone.

Comment

i figured out right off the bat-- if shes willing to
                            show you EVERYTHING for a dollar
                            ---less than it costs to take the freaking bus---
                            theres something wrong upstairs.
                            and you dont want any part of that.

that being said, when i was 19 i moved in with
                            a 43 year old stripper (cambodian/chinese/french,
                            she looked younger than me....) and stayed for 7
                            years, first 5 were great, last 2 were BAD as she
                            started gambling and then picked up a drug habit.

the first 5 years were some of the best of my life,
                            the last two still hurt and haunt me to this day, 30+ years
                            later. oh well, some of us gots to learn the hard way.
                            but it totally changed me, i wouldnt date anyone who
                            exibited even a casual alcohol or marijuana use
                            lifestyle again after that.

and yes, im in a MUCH better place, way healthier
                            relationship now. so i guess everything happens for a
                            reason. but i still wish it never happened, i never met her,
                            because then it wouldnt still bother me 30 years later.

your mileage may vary.

Comment

Paper route when I was about 12. Still had it at 13 when Kennedy was assassinated. It was an afternoon paper. Come home from school & the papers would be waiting. Roll them up, load them onto the bike & go do it. We did not get them until about 10:00 PM the day that Kennedy was shot. Af 14 we moved to another town & I had another paper route & also worked as a bus boy at a local sit-down restaurant. Being in the midwest, I also detassled corn in the summers. Most of the kids did. I also worked for a farmer weeding beans. That one put the hard in "hard jobs". By the summer after my Junior year, I was working at the local car wash & driving the owners '66 Nova SS L79 car whenever he needed an errand ran. I now own that car & I am slowly restoring it.
                              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

7 years old, hanging around a riding stables and shoveled shit to earn free riding. When I got big enough to saddle horses and trail ride I started getting paid $5/day (pretty good money in the early 60's for a nine year old) eventually up to $20/day by the end of high school. Winters I worked in a gas station as a pump jockey $1.25/hr. Lied about my age at 14 to get the job which was my first job requiring a Social Security number and taxes out of your check. Over 50 years ago.
                                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                                X