Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Jobs - How old, and what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a paper route at 11-12 years old and mowed lawns. Never spent any of the money, my dad put it in a savings account for me. Had enough to buy my Falcon at 15 years old, still have it 35 years later.

Comment

I forgot all about mowing yards & scooping sidewalks & driveways in the winter months. I was doing that when I was ten or eleven. By the time that I was 12-13 my friends & I would go out to scoop in the winter & we learned how to use our own money to pay our way by using the money that we made to pay for our lunches along the way. Ironically, I was audited by the IRS twenty years later and accused of doing those exact same things. When my first wife & I got divorced we had a garage sale to sell the things that neither of us wanted. Evidently a divorce trips a warning of some kind with the IRS & they send their JV team to audit you. I had deposited the $700+ that was my half from the garage sale & the guy did not like my explanation of how I came by it. An exact quote would be "How do I know that you were not out mowing yards & scooping walks to make that money?" At the time I was working a full-time job & a part-time evening job AND one or two nights a week on the base crash rescue team whenever I was scheduled. Long story short, I was forced to pay income taxes on that money. From that moment on, not one cent of cash money that came into my hands was ever deposited. Lesson learned.
      ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Malibu View Post
        ...... From that moment on, not one cent of cash money that came into my hands was ever deposited. Lesson learned.

a lesson more than one of us has learned the hard way!
        no reciept/no paper trail? NEVER HAPPENED.

Comment

The Jefferson Swap Meet is the weekend after Easter.

My New Sales Sign......
          PRESIDENT's SALE !!
          EVERYTHING UNDER $599.99 !!!
          CASH SALES ONLY !!

Comment

I am 35-year old guy that spent half of his life in fixing cars and trucks.

-----------------------------------------
            Coding classes for kids begins with the fundamentals and progresses to the development of core coding skills.
            Last edited by deewelch; April 19, 2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X