Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Jobs - How old, and what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deewelch
    replied
    I am 35-year old guy that spent half of his life in fixing cars and trucks.

-----------------------------------------
    Coding classes for kids begins with the fundamentals and progresses to the development of core coding skills.
    Last edited by deewelch; April 19, 2022, 08:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    The Jefferson Swap Meet is the weekend after Easter.

My New Sales Sign......
    PRESIDENT's SALE !!
    EVERYTHING UNDER $599.99 !!!
    CASH SALES ONLY !!

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by 67 Malibu View Post
    ...... From that moment on, not one cent of cash money that came into my hands was ever deposited. Lesson learned.

a lesson more than one of us has learned the hard way!
    no reciept/no paper trail? NEVER HAPPENED.

Leave a comment:

• 67 Malibu
    replied
    I forgot all about mowing yards & scooping sidewalks & driveways in the winter months. I was doing that when I was ten or eleven. By the time that I was 12-13 my friends & I would go out to scoop in the winter & we learned how to use our own money to pay our way by using the money that we made to pay for our lunches along the way. Ironically, I was audited by the IRS twenty years later and accused of doing those exact same things. When my first wife & I got divorced we had a garage sale to sell the things that neither of us wanted. Evidently a divorce trips a warning of some kind with the IRS & they send their JV team to audit you. I had deposited the $700+ that was my half from the garage sale & the guy did not like my explanation of how I came by it. An exact quote would be "How do I know that you were not out mowing yards & scooping walks to make that money?" At the time I was working a full-time job & a part-time evening job AND one or two nights a week on the base crash rescue team whenever I was scheduled. Long story short, I was forced to pay income taxes on that money. From that moment on, not one cent of cash money that came into my hands was ever deposited. Lesson learned.

Leave a comment:

• VTJUNK
    replied
    I had a paper route at 11-12 years old and mowed lawns. Never spent any of the money, my dad put it in a savings account for me. Had enough to buy my Falcon at 15 years old, still have it 35 years later.

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    7 years old, hanging around a riding stables and shoveled shit to earn free riding. When I got big enough to saddle horses and trail ride I started getting paid $5/day (pretty good money in the early 60's for a nine year old) eventually up to $20/day by the end of high school. Winters I worked in a gas station as a pump jockey $1.25/hr. Lied about my age at 14 to get the job which was my first job requiring a Social Security number and taxes out of your check. Over 50 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• 67 Malibu
    replied
    Paper route when I was about 12. Still had it at 13 when Kennedy was assassinated. It was an afternoon paper. Come home from school & the papers would be waiting. Roll them up, load them onto the bike & go do it. We did not get them until about 10:00 PM the day that Kennedy was shot. Af 14 we moved to another town & I had another paper route & also worked as a bus boy at a local sit-down restaurant. Being in the midwest, I also detassled corn in the summers. Most of the kids did. I also worked for a farmer weeding beans. That one put the hard in "hard jobs". By the summer after my Junior year, I was working at the local car wash & driving the owners '66 Nova SS L79 car whenever he needed an errand ran. I now own that car & I am slowly restoring it.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    i figured out right off the bat-- if shes willing to
    show you EVERYTHING for a dollar
    ---less than it costs to take the freaking bus---
    theres something wrong upstairs.
    and you dont want any part of that.

that being said, when i was 19 i moved in with
    a 43 year old stripper (cambodian/chinese/french,
    she looked younger than me....) and stayed for 7
    years, first 5 were great, last 2 were BAD as she
    started gambling and then picked up a drug habit.

the first 5 years were some of the best of my life,
    the last two still hurt and haunt me to this day, 30+ years
    later. oh well, some of us gots to learn the hard way.
    but it totally changed me, i wouldnt date anyone who
    exibited even a casual alcohol or marijuana use
    lifestyle again after that.

and yes, im in a MUCH better place, way healthier
    relationship now. so i guess everything happens for a
    reason. but i still wish it never happened, i never met her,
    because then it wouldnt still bother me 30 years later.

your mileage may vary.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Being a Teamster for over 40 years,
    the last 15+ in the Construction Division.
    Quick Learners realize......
    Waitresses,....Bar Tenderness,.....
    STRIPPERS,.........The Girl at the Deli.....
    They ARE NOT Into You !!!!!
    They are Good At Their Job !!!!
    ​​​​​As SOON as you Accept that Strippers
    Are Entertainment, you will be better off.

Not Saying, that seeing What Real Women Are to look at........is a Bad Thing.
    it screws with their heads when they take their clothes off for money - basically they believe that their only value has nothing to do with who they are... That means that they are not at all like waitresses, baristas, bar tenders, DJs, or any other service-industry job. Also, because service industry jobs exists, a person can try out lines to see if it's a positive or negative reaction with the only 'downside' being you may not want to eat what they put in front of you later.... but please, stop comparing the stripper to other starter jobs - it does a disservice to everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Being a Teamster for over 40 years,
    the last 15+ in the Construction Division.
    Quick Learners realize......
    Waitresses,....Bar Tenderness,.....
    STRIPPERS,.........The Girl at the Deli.....
    They ARE NOT Into You !!!!!
    They are Good At Their Job !!!!
    ​​​​​As SOON as you Accept that Strippers
    Are Entertainment, you will be better off.

Not Saying, that seeing What Real Women Are to look at........is a Bad Thing.
    Last edited by Captain; March 31, 2022, 05:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

i dunno.... 29 years in the biz, and i never drank a beer, never smoked a joint or did any other drugs, etc...
    but my old man was F@CKED up, alcoholic/drug addict so i saw real early on what i DIDNT want
    to be, maybe thats why it was never even a choice for me.

as far as the naked women, boy oh boy could i tell you some stories... lets just say, "how do you
    know when a strippers lying to you? if her mouth is moving and your d*cks not in it, then shes lying."
    seriously.
    You're a rarity. My youngest son has never drank either.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the problem usually isn't the naked women, it's the self-prescribed pharmaceuticals that are dispensed. I was involved with strip clubs for several years, I left because I was afraid I'd OD.... worked as a manager among other things - even had the opportunity to buy one, first time I ever thought "I'd be buying my own death."
    As far as strippers - the concept is so cool, but the reality is so not. Girls who get dollars from guys for stripping are, 99.99% of of the time, utterly screwed up - and most times, it wasn't their fault they got there... there are a few that make it out, but 1 in 1000 would be a generous number.

don't hate the messenger - for my part in all of that... not the proudest of my moments. There are some neat people, but all the crap that circles it will kill you.

i dunno.... 29 years in the biz, and i never drank a beer, never smoked a joint or did any other drugs, etc...
    but my old man was F@CKED up, alcoholic/drug addict so i saw real early on what i DIDNT want
    to be, maybe thats why it was never even a choice for me.

as far as the naked women, boy oh boy could i tell you some stories... lets just say, "how do you
    know when a strippers lying to you? if her mouth is moving and your d*cks not in it, then shes lying."
    seriously.

Leave a comment:

• steve308
    replied
    Age 14 freshman in high school. Golf course bag room club cleaner, shoeshine boy, range ball picker upper (AKA Target) and any other dirty job that the pro needed done. Led to a 20-year career in the golf business as a PGA professional.

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    Another one of my jobs as a kid was working for a general contractor under the table. We did commercial construction.

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

ah yes, young and bulletproof.... VFR1100r was mine.... that said, I didn't own it long - I got so tired of people trying to kill me, no such thing as living defensive motorcycle rider....
    All I had to do is ride my buddies and that was enough for me. 160 in the blink of an eye and those red lights come up quick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X