Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Jobs - How old, and what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by gconnsr View Post

It's good to know your weaknesses. I used the same logic with crotch rockets. Two speeds with me, wide open and hope you can stop.
    ah yes, young and bulletproof.... VFR1100r was mine.... that said, I didn't own it long - I got so tired of people trying to kill me, no such thing as living defensive motorcycle rider....

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the problem usually isn't the naked women, it's the self-prescribed pharmaceuticals that are dispensed. I was involved with strip clubs for several years, I left because I was afraid I'd OD.... worked as a manager among other things - even had the opportunity to buy one, first time I ever thought "I'd be buying my own death."
    As far as strippers - the concept is so cool, but the reality is so not. Girls who get dollars from guys for stripping are, 99.99% of of the time, utterly screwed up - and most times, it wasn't their fault they got there... there are a few that make it out, but 1 in 1000 would be a generous number.

don't hate the messenger - for my part in all of that... not the proudest of my moments. There are some neat people, but all the crap that circles it will kill you.
    It's good to know your weaknesses. I used the same logic with crotch rockets. Two speeds with me, wide open and hope you can stop.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    as far as how young? my dad started his company in 1974 - I was 8 - I operated a broom and cleaned equipment from then.... first job with an outside employer - freshman in high school I worked on a farm.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by gconnsr View Post

My sisters x husband was a DJ at strip clubs and yeah I can imagine it was one hell of a ride. He made good money though.

He tried getting out of it when he was married to my sister but the money was to good. Imagine trying to hold your marriage together when you're around beautiful naked women all night every night. He worked at top notch clubs.
    the problem usually isn't the naked women, it's the self-prescribed pharmaceuticals that are dispensed. I was involved with strip clubs for several years, I left because I was afraid I'd OD.... worked as a manager among other things - even had the opportunity to buy one, first time I ever thought "I'd be buying my own death."
    As far as strippers - the concept is so cool, but the reality is so not. Girls who get dollars from guys for stripping are, 99.99% of of the time, utterly screwed up - and most times, it wasn't their fault they got there... there are a few that make it out, but 1 in 1000 would be a generous number.

don't hate the messenger - for my part in all of that... not the proudest of my moments. There are some neat people, but all the crap that circles it will kill you.

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
    i did a 130 customer per day, 7 day a week paper route from 8 to 16,
    i made roughly $260/month which was decent back then.

then as i was walking home after football practice one day i passed
    molinas bar in happy valley just as a 3 guy fight (2 on 1) came rolling
    out the door right in front of me.

i pulled off 1 guy, pushed the other away and helped up the guy they
    had been beating on. ended up he was the owner, and asked if i wanted
    a job as his doorman. so i started on the spot, $100/night 7 days a week
    in 1987 for a 16 yr old was BALLING.

about a year and a half later i casually mentioned it was my birthday and
    and jimmy was like "cool, how old are you now?" and dang near fainted
    when i said 18. (drinking age was 18 back then) as i had been working for
    him for a year and a half underaged. hey, it just never came up and i was
    a BIG kid (6ft2 and 285 when i was only 13...) so he assumed i was old enough.

that was my first job as a doorman, i did it for 29 more years in various bars
    and clubs. it certainly was an interesting ride, ill say that. i "retired" out at 47
    years old.

kinda miss it, but kinda DONT miss it even more!

My sisters x husband was a DJ at strip clubs and yeah I can imagine it was one hell of a ride. He made good money though.

He tried getting out of it when he was married to my sister but the money was to good. Imagine trying to hold your marriage together when you're around beautiful naked women all night every night. He worked at top notch clubs.
    Last edited by gconnsr; March 25, 2022, 08:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    i did a 130 customer per day, 7 day a week paper route from 8 to 16,
    i made roughly $260/month which was decent back then.

then as i was walking home after football practice one day i passed
    molinas bar in happy valley just as a 3 guy fight (2 on 1) came rolling
    out the door right in front of me.

i pulled off 1 guy, pushed the other away and helped up the guy they
    had been beating on. ended up he was the owner, and asked if i wanted
    a job as his doorman. so i started on the spot, $100/night 7 days a week
    in 1987 for a 16 yr old was BALLING.

about a year and a half later i casually mentioned it was my birthday and
    and jimmy was like "cool, how old are you now?" and dang near fainted
    when i said 18. (drinking age was 18 back then) as i had been working for
    him for a year and a half underaged. hey, it just never came up and i was
    a BIG kid (6ft2 and 285 when i was only 13...) so he assumed i was old enough.

that was my first job as a doorman, i did it for 29 more years in various bars
    and clubs. it certainly was an interesting ride, ill say that. i "retired" out at 47
    years old.

kinda miss it, but kinda DONT miss it even more!

Leave a comment:

• malc
    replied
    I didīnt do any paper round, cutting grass etc., I went to work at GM UK, 17 years old in 1968 as a five year apprentice.
    Near the end of my apprenticeship I elected to go into engineering as a sheetmetal worker knocking out next years model.
    During those end years I did two stints in the drawing office and by chance got onto the illustrating dept.
    In 1978 I went to work as a freelance illustrator in Wolfsburg Germany and 1991 Barcelona Spain.
    Retired.
    The end.

Leave a comment:

• malc
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
    paper boy in woburn mass.
    like SAC command and carburators.. I was the last in a leave it to beaver neighborhood.
    It did hang on longer than others... that was 1986.

I was in my 3rd year of military in the 90s, before I made that same amount of money again.
    Near where I grew up in England is a village called Woburn, has a stately house with wildlife Safari park (duh!, lions in England ) now.

The correct pronunciation, proper English lol, is Wooburn.

Leave a comment:

• Phil318
    replied
    Manny Berger shoe store in Oak Park, Il. First W2 job. I was 15. Supposed to be 16. They thought I was. 1.90 or 2.10 an hour, whatever minimum wage was in 1975.

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Pump Jocky at J&L Texaco.
    age 16. And worked thru the Gas Rationing
    Endless Lines as Stations were forced to Reduced Hours, and NO SUNDAY SALES !!
    I'm a little younger than you but I'm old enough to remember waiting in line with my mom.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Pump Jocky at J&L Texaco.
    age 16. And worked thru the Gas Rationing
    Endless Lines as Stations were forced to Reduced Hours, and NO SUNDAY SALES !!

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    Barry was talking about shops that closed and it reminded me of a couple. Do you guys remember Poppin Fresh Pies? I was a baker for Pillsbury and got laid off when they sold to Bakers Square and then I worked for General Tire when they had retail stores. Both good paying jobs that left me hanging.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    I grew up in the suburbs, so paper routes and mowing lawns up and down the street was pretty typical. I think I had 10 lawns at one point, $10 each, $100 a week for a 11 year old kid wasn't so bad. The news agency should have been convicted of child labor laws of some kind - I delivered about 35 papers 6 days a week, for $9.50 PER WEEK... this would have been 80-84ish.
    My first "real" job was a counter guy part time at "Giant auto supply" after I could drive.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Growing up in a farm town, did all kinds of jobs starting at eight mowing lawns...There was always the job of sweeping the feed mill, cleaning at the trucking company shop, snow removal, and cleaning livestock trailers... too many odd jobs to list...

Leave a comment:

• gconnsr
    replied
    I subbed for some paper routes but I don't think I actually had one. What I didn't like about the paper routes was collecting. It's like you do realize you're chumping a kid and you're an adult, right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X