all in the family (brand loyalty?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all in the family (brand loyalty?)

My dad has always been a Ford man, (but he loved his Plymouth, the only Chrylser he owned) , and I have ALWAYS been a GM guy, I wonder how we differed in our brand of cars but still loved the hobby? (His 68 Plymouth and my 68 Impala)
    Anyone else have different loylaties in the family

Re: all in the family (brand loyalty?)

My dad is a die hard GM guy and so was his dad. He has always wanted a corvette. But im a Ford man and i prefer the stang over the vette. My goal is to buy him the car he has always wanted someday..... a red convertable vette

although lately mopars have been looking really nice to me..... someday i might convert

Comment

Well I'm a die in the wool mopar guy. Yet I've owned a few different brand vehicles, most recently my wife and I own a 2004 Ford Mustang. Personally I may get hazed for this, but brand loyalty is kind of dumb. Why limit yourself? I can say in honestly I really like a few examples of a lot of cars. I would love to own a 67 to 69 pontiac Firebird.

Mike

Comment

My dad's side of the family was AMC....
        My first night on the town after getting my driver's license in 1965 was a 1962 AMC Rambler station wagon. Had the luggage rack on the roof, six cylinder flat head and push button drive......a real chick magnet ;D
        My mom's side of the family had Ford's.
        I can remember going into town with my grandpa in his 1948 Ford......he was from the depression era.
        We would be riding along when he would put the car in neutral and coast......almost to a stop, then turn the key on, pop the clutch and off we went.
        This worked especially when going down long hills.......for the longest time, I thought this was how you drove cars.

Comment

I've owned literally hundreds of cars. Also, I get to drive lots of others having been a mechanic for some years. Nothing beats a GM product. Drive 57 Ford, and a 57 Chevy. Look at the instrument cluster in Ford's gorgeous 60 Starliner compared to a 60 Pontiac. Looks like the instrument cluster from a 62 Falcon (yuck). Drive a 70 Roadrunner, and drive a 70 GTO. Mondo difference in quality. Shut the doors and roll up the windows on the last 2 cars. Huge difference. BUT, here we are 40 years or so after the Glory Days of Detriot, and ya gotta love em all. One way or the other, history will NEVER repeat itself here, never. So, whatever your poison, cherish it. We may be the last generation to afford these cars casually. They're going to museums, private collections, and overseas at an alarming rate. Barret-Jackson starts on TV tomorrow. God help us all.

Comment

I'm Mopar through and through. I told my adult children that if they came home to visit in something other than a Mopar to don't come home. Dave

Comment

were GM.....peoples, Husband works there, .....our oldest son went and bought a Toyota, we like to blame the dumbness on his wife, My husband told him, General motors paid for your teeth, your medical care, part of your college to recieve your Masters degree, and your father depends on thier survival to get his pension someday, and you go and buy a Toyota? The car is not allowed in our Driveway, he has to park it on the street.......Oh, and we like to rub it in a bit, because our son claims he couldn't get a good price on a GM car, well our Buick Lacross has a 30 dollar a month lower payment then his JAP car, we told him he just had to shop and try a bit harder and he could have found it....PARK IT IN THE STREET.....

Comment

My dad was all Mopar and I am the same as is my oldest son. My youngest who is 19 and serving in the US Navy bought a 96 Cobra Mustang. But I do like and appreciaate all American muscle cars. And of course the Max Wedge era Mopars are the coolest of them all. ;D Ron

Comment

My dad was a diehard Ford fanatic. The bigger the better. When I got my d.l., he had a '72 Custom 500 with, I believe, a 400M. I got to where I could liquify the rear rubber of the back tire. ;D Boy, was he pissed! Funny thing, the first car he helped me find was a Pontiac, then a chevy, then another chevy, never a Ford. I've owned a few of the big three and 'currently' into Chevy. That is subject to change!

Comment

First and foremost it is Chevy for me,
                    Second, I move to Mopar (my first car was a Dodge Coronet 500),
                    Then other GM's probably Pontiac then Buick,
                    finally I get to Ford's
                    (Nope, no AMC, sorry)
                    ;D

Comment

Mopar here. But I would own any cool car of any brand. Old or new.

Comment

My Dad always liked GM stuff, but my Mom's side was diehard Mopar, I was at the strip nearly every weekend at the age of seven with my cousin and uncle . He drove a '61 Dodge to the track, uncapped the headers,bolted on the slicks, raced,then we got to ride home with the headers uncapped listening to that 413 with the long ram intake rumble. Its Mopar or No Car at my house, I just can't help it, it's a sickness!

Comment

grew up in a Ford family, everyone had at least one.
                          learned to drive in a '62 Galaxie with a 406/ 4 speed.
                          and I was a dedicated blue oval fanatic up until my father traded in our 'R' code '66 Fairlane in on a new '70 Mach 1.
                          The '66 Fairlane was going to be my first car. and when it was traded in at Johnny Harper Ford on 38th and Wadsworth in Wheatridge Colo.I instantly hated that Grabber Green Mustang. So my very first act of Rebellion was my very first car,
                          I bought a 1970 Dodge Super Bee with my savings.
                          My father hated my 'Bee, and I hated his Mach 1.
                          So much so that I used to really enjoy showing him my tail lights every chance I got.
                          I stayed a Mopar guy for 23 years, and sold my last Mopar Musclecar in 2001.
                          Fate had it in for me, as I married into a Ford family, my wife was driving a '68 Mustang Fastback when we met, and I slowly started buying up Ford stuff.
                          Now my brand loyalty is dead. I just buy what I can afford,
                          and am just starting on my very first Chevy project,
                          I'm going to stuff a 350 SBC into an '86 S10 that needs a heart transplant.

Comment

I've never understood the brand loyalty thing, especially as it relates to vintage cars, where I care a lot more about what the car looks like or some history behind it (with me) than what brand it is. Now when I go to buy a daily driver kind of vehicle, I consider everything that looks like it would meet my needs, and narrow it down from there. I do give a small amount of extra consideration to brands that have served me well in the past, but that's about it.
                            What I don't understand are people that will only buy this or that. The only thing I'm blindly loyal to are my wife, kids, and family - Certainly not a car company.

Comment

I started out in high school with fords but changed to GM when I found out how much more interchangable chevy parts are from one car to another. MY first chevy was a 62 Impala with a 283. I wore it out twice then pulled it out and bolted in a 409. Same bell housing, same motormounts, same starter, same flywheel. With 348 exhaust manifolds it even mated up to the 283 exhaust pipes. I was hooked. Now my wife has a 2006 Chrysler 300c and I love it. Told her to get the extended warenty though and when its out it goes!

Comment

Working...
                              X