all in the family (brand loyalty?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: all in the family (brand loyalty?)

The first car I ever thought was cool was my Dad's '67 Mustang fastback.It was immediately followed by his 68 Road Runner.My Mom said I changed after that.I liked all muscle cars,but I was absolutely crazy about Mopars! This was 1980 and I was 5.Dad and Uncle Doug had more Road Runners,'Cuda's and Dad's badass Charger R/T.But my Dad had also told me of how much he missed his 66 389,tri power,4 speed GTO.And my aunt's boyfriend did a frame off restification on his '69 GTO at that time (nobody was doing that yet!) And they had another buddy with a 70 SS396 convertible Chevelle.I went to kindergarten,and I'd ask the other kids "what kind of car you guys got?" because I thought everybody's family had a vehicle that they loved!That was awesome, or was "gonna be someday".I liked any american car,but with a slant more towards GM than Fords I guess.But when I was 18,I had my '74 Road Runner eternal project car,and bought my 84 Tbird for a beater because it was the only V8 Rear Wheel Drive car I could find/afford.When it ran it rand like a raped ape.[i]when it ran[i]It was followed by a long line of GM G bodies.A 305 Monte,which I was driving when I found my 'Cuda,then several Cutlasses,ranging form pretty and half fast to just half assed.Of course i wrecked the one I planned on keeping.It was an '86,had a late 70's 350 olds and a turbo 400.Dark Blue.Hurst olds type spoiler.Cragars.Bucket seats,pro matic 2..then I came over the hill to find a drunk guy with his van diagonally in the road.I pushed the brake pedal to the floor with both feet,using the steering wheel for more leverage,and screamed the F word,but that STILL didn't stop me fast enough!I replaced it with an '88 Cutlass Supreme Classic.They only made them for half the model year I think,and they were the last rear wheel drive ones.It was white with T tops,gauge package,307/2004R.I probably should've left it alone.I ended up pitting the 350/400 from the wrecked one in it.It ran 15.50 with smoke pouring off the one tire.I sold it off and last time I saw it Joe Dirt was driving it.I have an S10 SS now.It's not a V8,which is good considering I already have big and small block cars.I think I'm loyal to a platform than a brand.I got into G bodies because I wasn't gonna drive a Charger 2.2.

Comment

I like them All.

Comment

Well, dad had a '72 (I think) Demon in High School and has always dreamed of a '69 Charger. We as a family have had mostly GM. I have an '01 Z28 Camaro now, but honestly if Mopar had a modern car that was comparable, I would own it instead. I'll never own a Ford though. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by BRAVENRACE
          I've never understood the brand loyalty thing, especially as it relates to vintage cars, where I care a lot more about what the car looks like or some history behind it (with me) than what brand it is. Now when I go to buy a daily driver kind of vehicle, I consider everything that looks like it would meet my needs, and narrow it down from there. I do give a small amount of extra consideration to brands that have served me well in the past, but that's about it.
          What I don't understand are people that will only buy this or that. The only thing I'm blindly loyal to are my wife, kids, and family - Certainly not a car company.
          My thoughts exactly...well said.

Comment

Originally posted by whiplash
            were GM.....peoples, Husband works there, .....our oldest son went and bought a Toyota, we like to blame the dumbness on his wife, My husband told him, General motors paid for your teeth, your medical care, part of your college to recieve your Masters degree, and your father depends on thier survival to get his pension someday, and you go and buy a Toyota? The car is not allowed in our Driveway, he has to park it on the street.......Oh, and we like to rub it in a bit, because our son claims he couldn't get a good price on a GM car, well our Buick Lacross has a 30 dollar a month lower payment then his JAP car, we told him he just had to shop and try a bit harder and he could have found it....PARK IT IN THE STREET.....

Comment

Yeah I screwed up there. anyway was just going to pat you on the back.If people keep sending car loads of US cash to Japan were not going to have any left to pay US workers !!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X