No announcement yet.

New year New truck or 2016 the year of the truck, and my first diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a prodigy I like it but I don't have a lot to compare to it. I would not even consider one with just a timer.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

I have been looking at the prodigy P2 and this hopkins 3 piece controller.

Either ought to be fine just thought maybe someone might have some insight into the best of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

There is a button ob the shifter, turns off the od.. But it shifts down 2 gears instead of one.. Gotta really lug down before using it..

So is it a 5R110W trans with the 5 speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by chevybuytroy View Post

So is it a 5R110W trans with the 5 speeds?
          Ford Powerstroke, 4 speed auto.. Drove 3 different trucks.. All did it..
          Was on the freeway, had cruise on, approached hilly country, stupidly left it in cruise.. One hill it downshifted and revved it to the red zone on the tach..
          Never tow with cruise control in hilly country.. The "check engine" light came on.
          All 3 owners did not like that "feature". I thought it downshifted one but watching the tach, it was 2..

Comment

I haven't posted in forever but here is an update on my Diesel experience.

I freaking love pulling a trailer with this thing, it is like it isn't even there. I can set the cruise at 80 and the truck doesn't care. I even bought a new trailer that is a bit bigger and some heavier but is so much better to pull.

Well to update it was stolen in April of 2017 out of my mom's driveway in Arlington and recovered few days later.

They took everything out of it and my tailgate. My stereo some tools a some camping gear. It sucked. Luckily the drivetrain seemed to be all intact and they didn't really mess up the interior or anything. The insurance company (progressive) was awesome to deal with. I did all the work myself so I got to do some upgrades and such also.

Here is what it looks like now.

I put all new headlights grill and grill guard on it. Found a camper for stupid cheap and got a screaming deal on the wheels also. This pic was taken in Big Bend on Thanksgiving weekend.

We have taken this truck all over the place now and yes I am a diesel fan now.

Here is the truck pulling my new trailer with my car on it.

Comment

all that towing, and fuel economy too .... I'm rapidly approaching peak diesel, once my wife's JoKe dies, it'll be replaced by a diesel then all DD and transport rigs will be diesel.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It really doesn't get much less fuel economy with the trailer behind it as not. Well depending on the wind.

Comment

We all know the bestest part of diesel trucks..... They make actual grunting noises when they work hard.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I felt like I was practically driving for free when I got the '95 Dodge 2 1/2 years ago, w/ diesel fuel at $2.35 per gallon and incidentally .20 cheaper than gas. When I paid $4 yesterday (.20 more expensive than gasoline now), not so much. Oh well. Beats my <8 mpg 454 Chevy when gas hit $4.45 a few years ago. Cummins gets 20-22mpg/hwy empty, depending on it's mood I guess, 14 hauling all the crap. With 4.11 gears and low HP anyway, the speeds have to stay down.

I have collected enough parts through bargain-shopping to go from stock single-cab 2wd to Banks-assisted club-cab 4wd (with 3.55's) at any point I feel like taking the time to do the work. CA does not require smog cert...not up til '98...Club cabs (small rear suicide-doors) didn't come on Dodges 'til '99, so if I want it all I gotta mix and match.

The guy up on the front page who bought an old 454 crew-cab dually with auto and 4.11's a few months back and is presumably now using it to re-locate from CA to TX...don't know how that's going...

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                      I felt like I was practically driving for free when I got the '95 Dodge 2 1/2 years ago, w/ diesel fuel at $2.35 per gallon and incidentally .20 cheaper than gas. When I paid $4 yesterday (.20 more expensive than gasoline now), not so much. Oh well. Beats my <8 mpg 454 Chevy when gas hit $4.45 a few years ago. Cummins gets 20-22mpg/hwy empty, depending on it's mood I guess, 14 hauling all the crap. With 4.11 gears and low HP anyway, the speeds have to stay down.

I have collected enough parts through bargain-shopping to go from stock single-cab 2wd to Banks-assisted club-cab 4wd (with 3.55's) at any point I feel like taking the time to do the work. CA does not require smog cert...not up til '98...Club cabs (small rear suicide-doors) didn't come on Dodges 'til '99, so if I want it all I gotta mix and match.

The guy up on the front page who bought an old 454 crew-cab dually with auto and 4.11's a few months back and is presumably now using it to re-locate from CA to TX...don't know how that's going...
                      No smog on '98 and up? Is that diesel only or gas too? I can feel a lust for a hotted up Dakota or Durango coming on. A Durango is like an invisible SUV to me. Easy entry and egress for a portly guy like me too.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                        We all know the bestest part of diesel trucks..... They make actual grunting noises when they work hard.
                        yes and if you drive a detroit diesel, suckering the bus riders out of their rain shelter because they think the bus is coming.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

My old 12 value 98 had two suicide doors.

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

here is one. These things have held there value or have gone up.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d...558868469.html

here is one. These things have held there value or have gone up.
                              Yeah that's about what people ask now, who knows what they actually get. Looking at your old thread (thank-you for that link), you got a steal at $6300. That narrow area of time where the club cab was available but they still had the 12-valve seems sought-after.

You're right about the '98 availability of the club cab, obviously not '99 like I thought. In any event, they were not introduced until after California began requiring smog cert every two years on light diesel trucks, unfortunately. I've had two "extra"-cab trucks without the doors back there and don't want another one, making people climb around the front seat to get in the back is barely tolerable on a lowered truck, on something lifted a bit it's asking for someone to twist an ankle getting out. To just go out and get a regular 4-door, I only very-occasionally have more than one passenger these days and with me needing an 8-foot bed for work that makes too long of a truck to park at the grocery store.

With the auto trans reliability problems, when I went shopping I was adamant about a manual although it seems like only 1 in 5 trucks (or less) on CL have one. I kinda like shifting anyway. The transfer case that has come along so I can have 4wd is from an auto but a shop in Sacramento has shipped me a box of parts such as trans main shaft etc. to convert...all parts new, made in Taiwan, so I'm kinda crossing my fingers on that.

I picked up a nice set of stock steel wheels with the polished stainless face pressed on like they do, size 18x8, looks 'way better than original 16x6.5s and tire cost is about the same. The extra width is all on the back side so I imagine they'll need spacers for the best offset although with the rim size they don't hit anything.

Maybe I'll make a thread for that when I do it instead of stepping on this one...

Comment

Working...
                              X