Dulcich a moment please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dulcich a moment please

I agree with what they said, but I think they're utterly on crack when it comes to their rationale. The Vortec, iron head had more power and torque until 3100 rpm. That is the place most street engines live - thus, if you had those aluminum heads on your Corvette (and I had similar ones), you'd lose power and economy in your day-to-day life for marginal gain on a track. Funny thing about racing road courses around here... you're at full song for maybe 10 seconds of the 1m 30s lap. The issue is they compare a Vortec head that rules the street world and took it to the race world. My problem with their result is if you compared the result of that Vortec head with an AFR or Trick or pretty much any non-Chinese head the Vortec head would suck down low AND on top. Honestly, on the track the aluminum head would be useless - they don't even weight that much less then the iron head.

The comparison was bogus because, again, they're not comparing items designed for similar purpose....

You asked on Engine Masters, your next step? compare the aluminum Vortec to an AFR head.

My wife is a mechanical engineer, and (long story shortened*) had the flow of a stock vortec head modeled for a project she was doing. She found that the Vortec head design does an awesome job of mixing air at volumes less than 4500 rpm, but above 4500 its own design became a choke point.... so I say if you're going to spend the money buying aluminum Vortec heads, there are better choices.... what say you? I'm pretty certain that BluePrint won't like the result - but can you do the test anyway?

*lengthened
    my wife was working on creating an inhaler for asthma patients that did not use compressed anything to power it. It could only be powered by the person inhaling (who was having trouble breathing, obviously). She found that the Vortec design did a far better job of lifting and breaking up the drug then anything else made prior (like 10x better) and there is a patent in her name because of it....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 27, 2016, 06:21 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

The scope.of.the show is a/b test. I think you are right that the Vortec is a good.
    Iron head in this application. The CNC BP heads are pretty good, I understand bangshifter Nick Smithenburg developed the ports. Are there better heads? I would say yes, and there are worse. There are countless variations possible - our test.was.a very basic illustration aimed at the broad area of the bell curve. Much of.the youtube audience are younger guys and even early teens with very little experience. Sparking an interest that demographic and showing them that they can do mechanical things is an outcome we have seen from these vids. I am going to assume from my personal observation that a large segment of that audience would never pick up a magazine.

Interesting development on the asthma inhaler. That is great work.

Comment

I think we can conclude from the test, and the analysis by SBG, that you'd be better off building an LS motor, they have good swirl and good flow, right?

ditto on the inhaler...

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

it was funny how the inhaler happened - my wife is not a gearhead - but she was telling me about her troubles getting the inhaler to properly mix the medicine and the discussion went to how the vortec head works (and ramp heads - which the prior itinerations had been based). Because of that, I bought a set of bare heads that she could take to work and create a 3d model of the chamber... the rest is history ;)

which LS head? cathedral or rectangle?
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 28, 2016, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Beats me, I just know the darn engines work! I've never really messed with them, other than to help put a quarter million miles on one.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Hot rodder knowledge and experience crosses over to a very wide range of applications. Your story shows that perfectly.

Comment

Then there's this...what the kids at school have been building over the past few weeks, with help of a couple of us engineer mentors (both gearheads) and some dedicated teachers. It just got moving, and there are still three weeks of design and building ahead of us!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

As an asthmatic.. I'm interested in this inhaler! .
                Altho I have been pretty good these last 2-3 months..(all the rain/moisture).
                It is steel shop concieved asthma.. Even with fancy blowers and filters, you can see sparkly bits in the sunshine.

Give your wife a hug from me! (I'm pretty sure she would cringe if I did...)

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  Then there's this...what the kids at school have been building over the past few weeks, with help of a couple of us engineer mentors (both gearheads) and some dedicated teachers. It just got moving, and there are still three weeks of design and building ahead of us!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
                  Yup, Jim, exactly.

Comment

Would have liked to see you compare the vortec head to the cheaper Blueprint 195 Musclecar series heads. These can be bought for 900 and do not require the investment that the CNC heads require.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
                      The scope.of.the show is a/b test.
                      thanks, that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X