Charity support for BangShift fundraiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity support for BangShift fundraiser

As I'm sure you're all sick of hearing me say this, I am just about to launch my first photo book on the local hot rodding scene. Part of the project involves putting together several "special editions" consisting of a signed & numbered copy of the book, a cotton slipcover, and a wood case, hand-built by the author (because I'm too poor to pay someone else to do it).

However, instead of being a greedy bastard and pocketing the proceeds from their sale, these very limited editions will be auctioned or raffled off by car clubs to support various charities. After talking with a few folks, it's been decided to set aside one for a cause that everyone on BS supports.

The big question remains, though: which cause? Anyone have a specific charity that's deserving of the cash?
    Cancer (well, stopping it at least)
    0%
    Heart disease
    0%
    Other health/medicare related causes
    0%
    Hot rodding advocacy/history
    0%
    Poverty/homeless related causes
    0%

Re: Charity support for BangShift fundraiser

I would vote to collect money to support automotive advocacy, like SEMA does.

Comment

All that are listed are worthy causes, but I voted for the advocacy option.

You'll find plenty of support for the others, not as much for this......good place to start.

Comment

I think you guys are on to something. The question is, which charity? I know SEMA probably isn't doing too badly for funds, so who else would/should the final cheque be made out to?

Comment

Well, you did ask this question on a Hot Rod forum after all ....
          :D

Comment

My vote is for poverty. There's a school for poor children down in the Domincan Republic that is run by a medical doctor and his school-teacher wife. They left their good-paying jobs to start this place, and it is a real benefit to the community. Besides giving them and education and a couple of meals a day, they teach them to work, handle money, and to make good life choices. The people down there are in a bad cycle; they don't have work to do, so they sit around and drink/gamble; the kids grow up seeing that, and that life is what they naturally gravitate towards. The school has turned out some good kids who have come to realize that life is what you make it, and who know where to look to earn an income.

Supporting this school will benefit more lives per dollar than most charities.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Or you could go to the mountains of the US and find some similiar issues...

K

Comment

To feed a person in the US costs a couple dollars. To feed a person in the DR is a whole lot less.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I'm not traditionally an isolationist... but lately with worlds attitude towards us... we need to stay home and fix our own issues... most the time you can go to an inner city and find equal opportunity to do good for OUR society...

K

Comment

I also think whatever is done should stay here in the USA. I support helping these issues in other parts of the world, but do it after OUR citizens have been taken care of.

However, I voted for hot rodding advocacy/history since this is a gearhead forum.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

My vote would be for The Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. They are THE organization looking for a cure. I, of course, have a vested interest - still, a lot of folks have a reduced quality of life because of this nasty disease.

Dan

Comment

I respectfully disagree. We need to help our own, but why not help others, too? The level of poverty is much worse elsewhere, people here who do need help often demand it as a right, there is plenty of opportunity here for those who are willing to work, and in order to do charity work here much greater resources are required.

Most charity work is done because the person giving the charity wants to feel good about doing something to help. For that reason, a lot of charity work is misapplied and real needs are ignored.

A lot of charity does more harm than good. There are plenty of places where people do need a handout, but often those people learn to expect a handout and don't help themselves as much as they could. The most effective form of charity IMO is micro-finance: small loans to form a small business to provide a sustainable source of income. Its the "teach a man to fish" way of doing things. Literally, many coast-dwelling people could fish if they had a boat, but there's no way they could afford it. With a small loan, they can make it possible.

Its very expensive to provide that kind of assistance here in the US.

Comment

Good call on the juvenile diabetes and micro-finance (I'm a big personal supporter of that one), but I think the rest of the board might have other ideas. Or at least the poll would have you believe so.

How does everyone feel about the Peterson automotive museum? Or is there a smaller museum that's struggling where some of you guys are?

Comment

Since every thread is useless without pictures, here's a few appearing in this book I keep whining about:

Comment

My 1st thought was for cancer about 6 reasons.Then with the economy I have to agree with Turk.
                              So split the funds 2/3 ways
                              terry

Comment

Working...
                              X